Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Highalnder 2-Film Set: Anniversary Edition

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Highalnder 2-Film Set: Anniversary Edition

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Highalnder 2-Film Set: Anniversary Edition

The 10th Anniversary Director's cut of the first movie has a commentary with the director and one of the producers.
Old 09-30-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
The US version doesn't have the commentary.
If you mean this release, it does indeed have the commentary. It was the same commentary that was on the DVD. What it doesn't have is the documentary found on the UK steelbook.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-30-13 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That release does NOT have the commentary from the 10th Anniversary Director's cut. The Anniversary commentary has the director, Russell Mulcahey and producers Peter Davis and William Panzer. The commentary on the blu-ray is newer solo commentary from just the director.
Old 09-30-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
That release does NOT have the commentary from the 10th Anniversary Director's cut. The Anniversary commentary has the director, Russell Mulcahey and producers Peter Davis and William Panzer. The commentary on the blu-ray is newer solo commentary from just the director.
I decided to check my copy of the BD and it turns out you are right. No big loss for me since I have the older commentary on the DVD. However, it's a bit odd that it wasn't ported over. I guess Republic Pictures (do they still exist?) must own the rights to the old commentary. Although, didn't the DVD also bear a new Studio Canal logo as did the Immortal Edition DVD? Lemme check.
Old 09-30-13, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems Anchor Bay released the Immortal Edition whereas Lionsgate released the BD.

Interestingly enough, the first DVD release by Republic Pictures begins with the original Lumiere logo,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_IEm4pfYhOQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

although the audio of the logo sequence was replaced with that of the Republic pictures logo.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jZvHRkgu_AI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You could still hear the original logo audio by listening to the Mulchahy-Davis-Panzer commentary on the original DVD release by Republic Pictures. However, that portion of the audio commentary audio was removed from the same commentary when ported over to Anchor Bay's Immortal Edition.

The Immortal Edition replaced both with a Studio Canal logo.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GuuiHxhyAzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The American BD has a brand new Studio Canal logo

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JLrv3NnxSfI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

followed by an old school Cannon Films logo.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gvaxwYn5s04" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The rights for the first movie have been all over the place it seems.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-01-13 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-01-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I guess Republic Pictures (do they still exist?) must own the rights to the old commentary.
Republic Pictures was acquired by Viacom. The Republic catalog is now controlled by Paramount, which has little interest in doing anything with it and often licenses Republic titles out to Olive Films. However, if the rights to Highlander the movie have moved to Studio Canal, it seems very unlikely that Paramount would ever choose to do anything with the audio commentary track on its own.
Old 10-01-13, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which begs the question of how did Anchor Bay get a hold of the group commentary for their DVD release?