Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special: The Day of the Doctor

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special: The Day of the Doctor

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special: The Day of the Doctor

Originally Posted by trespoochies
So none of those theatrical shorts are included.
Hmm. Makes me wonder if they plan to do another release with those included.
Old 12-04-13, 09:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In all fairness, Fathom Events advertised quite clearly that the theatrical showings would include "exclusive" content that wouldn't be seen elsewhere. Still...
The Strax theatre etiquette threat intro and the Smith/Tennant 3D intro are VERY missed on this BD release.
And I'll personally add that I wish they'd also added "The Five(ish) Doctors" and Smith's video promoting the Twitter #SaveTheDay hashtag.
How much do we bet that it all shows up on the S8 box set?!
Old 12-04-13, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I went ahead and got this tonight from Best Buy. Note to those who have pre-ordered this, Best Buy currently has this for $17.99.
The Blu-Ray? Online, their DVD price is $17.99 and the Blu-Ray is $21.99.
Old 12-04-13, 11:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

Blu-Ray is listed as $21.99 in their print ad as well.
Old 12-04-13, 11:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yep, mine was $21.99, my bad. I did see that $17.99, but that must have been the DVD right next to it.

Just finished watching the 3D presentation. Looked rather good, but something odd I noticed - the center channel on the audio is really low, almost like it's blended with the left and right. It's very hard to hear the dialogue at times. I had to turn up the center channel quite a bit. I know it's the mix since I watched The Wolverine right before and that sounded fine.
Old 12-05-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickactual
How much do we bet that it all shows up on the S8 box set?!
I have a feeling that they'll have a 50th Anniversary boxed set that will include "The Day of the Doctor," "An Adventure in Space and Time," the 2013 Christmas Special, and some other exclusive content that would possibly be the Five(ish) Doctors, and some of the other specials. This would also be a good place for them to include the theatrical exclusives since by the time the boxed set comes out, the theatrical run will have ended.

It would be like the set of the four Tennant specials that came out between Series 4 and Series 5.
Old 12-05-13, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I have a feeling that they'll have a 50th Anniversary boxed set that will include "The Day of the Doctor," "An Adventure in Space and Time," the 2013 Christmas Special, and some other exclusive content that would possibly be the Five(ish) Doctors, and some of the other specials. This would also be a good place for them to include the theatrical exclusives since by the time the boxed set comes out, the theatrical run will have ended.

It would be like the set of the four Tennant specials that came out between Series 4 and Series 5.
This is what I am hoping for. I'd love them to add in everything done for the 50th, including the Doctors Revisited specials, though I'm not holding my breath on those. It would be nice if the Christmas special is included, but I'm kind of thinking that has a better chance of showing up on the 8th series set since it's not really a part of the 50th. We'll see...hopefully we get it all in one awesome package...preferably shaped like the Tardis!
Old 12-05-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, mine was $21.99, my bad. I did see that $17.99, but that must have been the DVD right next to it.

Just finished watching the 3D presentation. Looked rather good, but something odd I noticed - the center channel on the audio is really low, almost like it's blended with the left and right. It's very hard to hear the dialogue at times. I had to turn up the center channel quite a bit. I know it's the mix since I watched The Wolverine right before and that sounded fine.
That low center channel and low dialogue was a problem at the theatrical showing too. I guess it wasn't just the theater then.
Old 12-05-13, 05:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, the First Series DVD set (w/Eccleston) had a similarly messed-up center channel. Might have been fixed at some point as I don't see anyone complaining about it any longer.
Old 12-05-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I remember that. I had to crank my center channel up to 10 just to hear anything.
Old 12-05-13, 09:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I have a feeling that they'll have a 50th Anniversary boxed set ...It would be like the set of the four Tennant specials that came out between Series 4 and Series 5.
That'd be really nice, but I'd be a bit miffed having already been suckered for the standalone "The Day Of The Doctor". Wouldn't surprise me though - BBC/Warner are notorious for standalone releases...half-season sets, etc. - then packaging it all in full box sets.

Originally Posted by Jediturtle
I'd love them to add in everything done for the 50th, including the Doctors Revisited specials,
The only reason I passed on the Doctors Revisited specials was because there were no BluRay's of them - and yes, they would make a nice addition. I actually had the Eccleston/Tennant/Smith one in my hand tonight in a Best Buy, but I saw that DVD logo and just couldn't...
Old 12-08-13, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Doctor's Revisited aren't in HD. At least, not the episodes.
Old 12-11-13, 03:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just received my copy from Amazon. It also contains the trading cards, in case anyone thought those were exclusive to Best Buy.
Old 12-11-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whew! Thanks.