Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie 9/30/2013

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Shout Factory is putting out a special edition Blu ray/DVD combo with an EPK and two documentaries. I'm hoping the deleted host segments and scenes from the movie also make the cut.

There are more details on mst3kinfo.com:

Here’s what Shout is telling us now:

* They’re releasing a collector’s edition Blu-ray/DVD combo. Both discs will have identical content. The cover will be the original theatrical poster; and it’ll have a reverse cover with new art from Steve Vance.

* There may be more extras, but these are the extras that are definite:
– The Making of Mystery Science Theater 3000 The Movie (the EPK that fans have probably seen around)
– Two new docs from Ballyhoo: “Mystery Science Theater 3000 The Movie: The Motion Picture Odyssey” (including new interviews with cast and crew and never-before-seen behind the scenes footage) and “This Island Earth: 2 1/2 Years In the Making.”
– Original theatrical trailer.

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/?p=15558#comments
Old 06-11-13, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie 9/30/2013

Even a standard def dump from videotape of the original cut would do it for me, as it is I'm not really interested in a third purchase of this.
Old 06-11-13, 10:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It's the Brak Show!
Old 06-12-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Definite buy for me since I never upgraded my VHS copy to DVD.
Old 06-12-13, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is going to be DTS, then it's a huge no sale for me.
Old 06-12-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
If this is going to be DTS, then it's a huge no sale for me.
I don't understand. Are you sidestepping all discs that use DTS-HD Master Audio (I'm not sure what else you could mean by "DTS")? If you are, wouldn't that prevent you from buying somewhere around 98% of the Blu-ray releases that come out anymore?
Old 06-13-13, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he means "Direct To Syria", seems like more discs are being released that way. I can understand why he wouldn't want to travel over there to pick it up.
Old 06-13-13, 07:52 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posted on Ballyhoo's Facebook page (credit to Troy's Dad at http://forrestcrow.proboards.com/)

https://www.facebook.com/ballyhoomotionpictures

EVERY YEAR HOLLYWOOD RELEASES HUNDREDS OF COLLECTOR EDITION BLU-RAYS. THIS IS ONE OF THEM.

This mutant is out of the bag! The COLLECTOR'S EDITION of "MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE MOVIE", complete with two separate 40 minute documentaries, and the newly-discovered DELETED SCENES/EXTENDED SCENES, which includes the alternate ending!

Bonus materials produced by BALLYHOO MOTION PICTURES:

1-"MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE MOTION PICTURE ODYSSEY"- An all-new making of documentary featuring EXCLUSIVE interviews with the cast and crew, as well as RARE behind-the-scenes footage shot on the set of the film.

2-"THIS ISLAND EARTH: 2 1/2 YEARS IN THE MAKING!"-An all-new documentary exploring the making of the Universal-International sci-fi classic.

3-"DELETED SCENES"-which includes the removed sequences from the 'riffed' motion picture and the alternate ending.

I hope this is the edition fans have been waiting for! More news to come!
Old 06-13-13, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We'll that certainly makes it more tempting, at least as long as more than just a few minutes worth.
Old 06-13-13, 11:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't understand. Are you sidestepping all discs that use DTS-HD Master Audio (I'm not sure what else you could mean by "DTS")? If you are, wouldn't that prevent you from buying somewhere around 98% of the Blu-ray releases that come out anymore?
I HATE DTS-HD Master Audio. The dynamic range is just ridiculous. At least that I've noticed, the range isn't there in the theaters. I just saw Jurassic Park in 3D. Could hear the voices just fine over the effects. But at home, the effects far overpower the dialogue. I just don't get why they mix DTS-HD that way. Doesn't make sense. Keep the ranger of the effects and music, but raise the dialogue up a lot more than you do.

No, I don't avoid blu-rays that have dts....if I don't know about it beforehand. Sometimes, I will get excited about a movie that came out before DTS existed and buy it because I've loved it for years. But then when I look at the back of the cover, it says DTS-HD Master Audio. Which is what's bugged me about Bean the movie and The Rocketeer. The dialogue in both of those movies, as it is in 99% of the DTS blu-rays that I have, is mixed FAR too low in comparison to the effects and music. Again, it just doesn't make sense.

An example is the Incredibles blu-ray. I love the movie and was disappointed that it said DTS-HD Master Audio. But when I was futzing around with the menus, I found that it also had a Dolby Surround track...thank goodness. Sounds amazing, and get this...I could hear the dialogue properly without the explosions and music suddenly punching me in the face.

I can mix the audio so that the receiver reads it as normal 5.1 audio, which will let me use the night mode. Unfortunately, it's either on or off since it's not a real Dolby stream. But it's the only way that I can enjoy the DTS movies. Luckily, I rarely notice any weird audio issues from this.

Also luckily, most of the kind of movies that I collect give the movies their proper audio mixes. If it was released in Dolby 5.1, then the blu-ray of the movie should have Dolby 5.1. The classic Disney movies seem to understand this by giving us the choice of DTS-HD or the normal audio.

Studios, please stop mixing the dialogue so low. If you want to put DTS, fine. But at least give us the choice of a more properly mixed track.

Last edited by Spottedfeather; 06-13-13 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-14-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

I HATE DTS-HD Master Audio...If you want to put DTS, fine. But at least give us the choice of a more properly mixed track.
I'm not a sound expert or anything, but DTS-HD is just a codec used to encode audio tracks. It has nothing to do with the way tracks are mixed. If you have a problem with the way a track sounds, then it's most likely a problem with your sound set up. If it's not your sound system and it really is a bad mix, then the fact that is DTS is irrelevant. If the same bad mix was encoded in Dolby TrueHD, it would probably sound exactly the same.
Old 06-14-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I've decided to boycott this release because it will probably use too many "0" bits and not enough "1"'s. That seems rational, I think.
Old 06-14-13, 01:28 PM
Banned

It IS that it's DTS-HD Master Audio that's the problem. I've had the dvd of Jurassic Park, with Dolby 5.1, for years. You can hear the dialogue just fine. Same with Bean The Movie and every other dvd I have. The dvds have pretty much perfect volume for the dialogue. But the blu-rays's effects and music knock you to the ground and you can barely heard the dialogue. Every DTS track I've ever heard has the dialogue mixed far too low. It's not the levels of the effects and music that's the problem. It's that the dialogue can barely be heard if you have the effects and music at their proper level.

My sound setup is just fine and I have my speakers set up the way they're supposed to be set up according to every guide that I've seen. TrueHD sounds just about perfect. As does Dolby 5.1. It's only DTS-HD Master Audio that I have a problem with.

I understand that DTS-HD is a codec and that if the same bad mix was encoded in TrueHD, it would sound just as bad. But I've never encountered a bad TrueHD mix. I can always hear the dialogue just fine in TrueHD. It's always DTS that has bad mixes.
Old 06-14-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

Well I suppose I can't comment because I don't own the discs you mention nor do I know what equipment you are using, but I will say that I've never had a problem with DTS-MA and it's not like DTS is doing the actual mixing or anything. I know DTS tracks are often mastered at an overall louder level than Dolby, but if you turn down the volume, their relative levels should be the same.

What about blu-rays with DTS-MA 1.0 or 2.0 tracks? Do you have a problem with those?
Old 06-14-13, 02:23 PM
Banned

If I turn down the volume, sure the effects are lower in volume, but the dialogue is too. DTS mixes tend to be way out of balance when compared to other mixes. The dialogue is constantly too low compared to the effects and music. Before turning down the audio, I can barely hear the dialogue. But if I was to turn down the volume, the effects would be fine but I wouldn't be able to hear the dialogue at all.

I don't know about blu-rays with DTS-MA 1.0. I don't have any. I do have a blu-ray with DTS-MA 2.0. Clash Of The Titans. Aside from one moment, when the Kraken pops out of the water and the roar is massively loud, the mix is just fine. It's DTS surround mixes that are the problem. As I've said, dialogue is FAR too low for anyone to enjoy the movie.
Old 06-14-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I weren't being ignored , I'd say detail your whole setup, models of player and receiver, how they're connected (HDMI, optical, coaxial) and go from there. This is 100% a setup problem. That or every reviewer out there is a pathological liar.
Old 06-14-13, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Well I suppose I can't comment because I don't own the discs you mention nor do I know what equipment you are using, but I will say that I've never had a problem with DTS-MA and it's not like DTS is doing the actual mixing or anything. I know DTS tracks are often mastered at an overall louder level than Dolby, but if you turn down the volume, their relative levels should be the same.

What about blu-rays with DTS-MA 1.0 or 2.0 tracks? Do you have a problem with those?
I have a Onkyo R-391. My player is a Magnavox magnavox nb500mg9. An HDMI cable connects the player to the receiver. As I've mentioned, Dolby 5.1 are both perfect sounding. The only DTS-HD Master Audio that I can stand are the older movies (pre 1989) that were originally Dolby mixes.
Old 06-14-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
If I weren't being ignored , I'd say detail your whole setup, models of player and receiver, how they're connected (HDMI, optical, coaxial) and go from there. This is 100% a setup problem. That or every reviewer out there is a pathological liar.
I was going to post the same thing. It's definitely his set-up. I actually prefer DTS.

As for this release, I hope the deleted scenes are actually added back into the film and are not presented on their own.
Old 06-14-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone peeked again. Given the brand of player, that's prime suspect #1.
Old 06-14-13, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So that receiver is part of a $300 home theater in a box. Nothing against affordable solutions, but I'm not sure I'd use that to form an informed opinion on how good or bad the audio is on any disc let alone impugn the codec used by the majority of Blu-ray's.
Old 06-16-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

If I turn down the volume, sure the effects are lower in volume, but the dialogue is too. DTS mixes tend to be way out of balance when compared to other mixes. The dialogue is constantly too low compared to the effects and music. Before turning down the audio, I can barely hear the dialogue. But if I was to turn down the volume, the effects would be fine but I wouldn't be able to hear the dialogue at all.
It sounds like it's a problem with dynamic range. Movies with high dynamic range like to make the dialogue low in talking scenes compared to the sound effects in an action scene. It's likely that the audio is identical to that in a movie theater, but you're not as concerned with it because the theater has the volume set at the perfect level for these variable levels of audio throughout the film, and you're in a more immersive environment and so don't notice, and simply just enjoy, the jumps in volume during action scenes.

Typically, receivers have a mode to compress dynamic range, so that the difference between the loudest and quietest moment in a film are reduced. Looking at the manual for your Onkyo HT-R391, this setting is called "Late Night," and only works with Dolby tracks, not DTS:
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/...0_manual_e.pdf
Late Night
For Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus sources, the options are:
  • Off
  • Low: Small reduction in dynamic range.
  • High: Large reduction in dynamic range.
For Dolby TrueHD sources, the options are:
  • Auto: The Late Night function is set to “On” or “Off” automatically.
  • Off
  • On
Turn this setting on to reduce the dynamic range of Dolby Digital material so that you can still hear quiet parts even when listening at low volume levels—ideal for watching movies late at night when you don’t want to disturb anyone.

Note:
  • The effect of the Late Night function depends on the material that you are playing and the intention of the original sound designer, and with some material there will be little or no effect when you select the different options.
  • The Late Night function can be used only when the input source is Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, or Dolby TrueHD.
  • The Late Night function is set to “Off” when the AV receiver is set to standby. For Dolby TrueHD sources, it will be set to “Auto”.
From those notes, It looks like it applies Late Night mode by default to Dolby sources. So the problem is related to DTS, but it's not the fault of DTS, it's the fault of your receiver.
Old 06-16-13, 10:34 AM
Banned

It's on Auto by default for TrueHD, not regular Dolby. This receiver is what I could afford at the time, but I really want to save up for one with Audyssey, as I've heard that you can do some sort of DRC for DTS tracks with that. Is that true ? And what receivers can do compression for DTS ?

I've just read about a Pioneer 1020k that apparently has something called Automatic Level Control. All I want is a receiver that can do some sort of DRC on DTS tracks.
Old 06-16-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I've just read about a Pioneer 1020k that apparently has something called Automatic Level Control. All I want is a receiver that can do some sort of DRC on DTS tracks.
It looks like Automatic Level Control is something else; it's for maintaining the same volume level when switching between sources.

That said, the Pioneer VSX-1020-K does have DRC that works with DTS. From the manual:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ctions0928.pdf
DRC (Dynamic Range Control)
Adjusts the level of dynamic range for movie soundtracks optimized for Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio (you may need to use this feature when listening to surround sound at low volumes).
Old 06-16-13, 02:27 PM
Banned

This is great news. Now, I just have to save up the money to get a proper receiver.
Old 06-16-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to get back to the topic of this release but quite looking forward to the making of This Island Earth.

Always been one one of my fave B-movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.