Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the 4K news slowing down your blu buys?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Is the 4K news slowing down your blu buys?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Is the 4K news slowing down your blu buys?

This should keep the screen caps devotees at AVS busy for a while.
Old 04-12-13, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
This should keep the screen caps devotees at AVS busy for a while.
Old 04-12-13, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangerunner
They just remind me of those DVDs that say "Mastered in High Definition".
That's pretty much it. The master may be 4K but that's not what's on the disc.
Old 04-12-13, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Just an fyi: while these "mastered in 4k" releases really aren't anything more than a marketing gimmick, Ghostbusters, Glory, and Spider-Man have all reportedly been given brand new transfers. Personally, I'm really looking forward to Ghostbusters as I never bought the original release.
Old 04-12-13, 09:10 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Yay for Ghostbusters. Boo for new technology replacing that which I have invested so much money in. Still trying to unload all of my Selectavision discs.
Old 04-12-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Just an fyi: while these "mastered in 4k" releases really aren't anything more than a marketing gimmick, Ghostbusters, Glory, and Spider-Man have all reportedly been given brand new transfers. Personally, I'm really looking forward to Ghostbusters as I never bought the original release.
That's a decent point. There's a lot of titles I'm still on DVD for, and as I go through the collection and see how well they hold up, I can see grabbing a old favorite like Ghostbusters if the price is right.
Old 04-12-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Sony's "Mastered in 4K" titles release on May 14. I guess this is the BD "Superbit" collection. Glory, The Other Guys, Total Recall remake, Spider-man, The Amazing Spider-Man, Ghostbusters, The Karate Kid remake, Battle: LA are all listed. There could be a few more.

I loved Superbit, not because it was a "New Technology", but because it meant that the DVD was now done the way it should have been done at first time. (Well, at least for most of the Superbits, a few were not.)
-Great master copy
-Use as much bandwidth as possible
-Have the sound using DTS with the highest BW possible

Now if "Mastered in 4K" means they are now going to do the same thing with BR, then I am all for it.
-Detailed Master Copy
-Use as much as the 50 gig disk as they can
-Remastered Sound with the last Tech

Call it what you want, just give me the greatest Demo Video and Sound possible.
Old 04-12-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

4K? I'm waiting for 8K.....
Old 04-12-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Just an fyi: while these "mastered in 4k" releases really aren't anything more than a marketing gimmick, Ghostbusters, Glory, and Spider-Man have all reportedly been given brand new transfers.
I might get the ones which are a noticeable improvement (new transfers, etc). I'd be an easier decision if they included the bonus material, but I'm assuming these won't. Though to be honest, I don't think I've looked at any for those titles....
Old 04-12-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

What a scam. SuperBIT is back baby!... in BD form.
Old 04-12-13, 11:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

And I'll end up buying only Dracula again.
Old 04-13-13, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
I loved Superbit, not because it was a "New Technology", but because it meant that the DVD was now done the way it should have been done at first time. (Well, at least for most of the Superbits, a few were not.)
-Great master copy
-Use as much bandwidth as possible
-Have the sound using DTS with the highest BW possible
All of the Superbit DVDs had DTS with only half bit-rate DTS at 754 kb/s. None of them had full bit-rate 1.5 Mb/s tracks, because that would have killed the available space for video.
Old 04-13-13, 04:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
And I'll end up buying only Dracula again.
I thought the bluray changes were done by Zoetrope not Sony.
Old 04-13-13, 05:51 PM
Banned by request

I'm just referring to the Superbit DVD days. They made such a hoopla about how Superbit was better than standard DVD, yet I only got the Dracula Superbit.
Old 04-14-13, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I keep reading more and more about how TV manufacturers are rushing into the world of 4K, and rumor is that long-awaited Apple Television will be 4K. There are already 4K channels in Europe and some planned for America. I'm also reading of a 4K Bluray format expected to be figured out soon (that won't play in current machines), and even a box that'll upconvert HDTV to 4K.

So.... Now that I have a shelf full of DVD's I don't touch anymore, and my Bluray collection was just starting to grow, I'm pretty much slowing way way down on my bluray buying because I can just see in a couple years I'll be re-buying my Kubrick collection/Aliens/Boogie Nights, etc all over again. I nearly bought that glorious-looking Bluray set of Lawrence of Arabia but decided not to bother since 1080 is about to become as crappy-looking to our eyes as 480 has become.

Thoughts?
You really think, with so many studios fucking up Blu-ray releases, that you should hold off on buying Blu-ray.

Well, that's what Sony et all want you to do: drop your current investment and invest in something else that has the highest markup.

Most 4K releases won't be different from Blu-ray releases. They will merely be upconversions. You will barely notice a difference.

4K televisions. Yawn.

My 1080p (actually it's technically a 720p/1080i) 50" Panasonic Plasma...still delivers eye candy every night, and I'm really sick and tired of the electronics industry and movie industry telling me that such-and-such is going to be so much better...when it barely is.
Old 04-15-13, 11:56 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Sony's "Mastered in 4K" titles release on May 14. I guess this is the BD "Superbit" collection. Glory, The Other Guys, Total Recall remake, Spider-man, The Amazing Spider-Man, Ghostbusters, The Karate Kid remake, Battle: LA are all listed. There could be a few more.

To play these, does it require a new BD player? or can we use our existing ones?
Old 04-15-13, 12:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

You can use existing players. They're still encoded at 1080p/24fps.
Old 04-15-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only way you'd need new players is if they used Deep Color. As I recall from another thread in these parts, even players that output Deep Color aren't capable of accepting media encoded with Deep Color.
Old 04-29-13, 09:03 AM
Banned by request

If they make the correct decision, this could help the physical format stay healthy for quite a few years more.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11016

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has confirmed that it is considering format extensions that could enable 4K content playback on Blu-ray. The confirmation was issued in a statement which was sent to CNET.

To enable 4K content playback on Blu-ray, the BDA members will have to agree on new codecs and resolution limits, amongst other things.

A final recommendation on the future of 4K Blu-ray is expected later this year.

Here's the statement the BDA sent to CNET:

"As part of its ongoing responsibility to maintain Blu-ray Disc as the premium platform for watching movies and other content at home, the BDA established a task force last year to study a range of possible format extensions, including those that potentially enable 4K content playback on Blu-ray.

Through the first quarter of this year, the task force solicited and received numerous proposals, and is now evaluating the various technologies.

The task force, which is comprised of representatives from BDA member studios, consumer electronics manufacturers and media technology companies, looks forward to sharing with and receiving input from content creators, and is expected to make specification and technology recommendations to the Blu-ray Disc Association board of directors later this year."
Old 04-29-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I hope they go for it and reach the best (highest quality) agreement possible.
Old 04-29-13, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

What?

Wouldn't that still require a 4k TV?
Old 04-29-13, 09:57 AM
Banned by request

Yep, but hopefully by then the price of a 4k TV will be realistic. I'm holding out for a projector only at this point. Figure I have about 3-5 years for something decently priced -provided they come to some kind of agreement.

Last edited by E Unit; 04-29-13 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-29-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It will be at least five years or more before realistically price 4K screens are trickling into homes. By then, we'll also have "upscaling" Blu-ray players that can show our poor little BDs in glorious 4K!

Won't we need a new physical disc standard to support 4K movies? Going 4K effectively quadruples the number of pixels. Doesn't that mean that a movie that fit on a BD-50 will now need a BD-200 disc?
Old 04-29-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by aintnosin
Won't we need a new physical disc standard to support 4K movies? Going 4K effectively quadruples the number of pixels. Doesn't that mean that a movie that fit on a BD-50 will now need a BD-200 disc?
Maybe. And how many players out there right now can even play BD-200 discs? Somehow I doubt a firmware update will even do the trick.

And if it's staying on a BD-50 disc, it'll be compressed to hell and back.

4K will either be DOA or will be a very tiny niche.
Old 04-29-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by aintnosin
It will be at least five years or more before realistically price 4K screens are trickling into homes. By then, we'll also have "upscaling" Blu-ray players that can show our poor little BDs in glorious 4K!
What do you mean "by then"? There are BD players that upscale to 4K (or AVRs if you prefer that route) on the market right now. Keep in mind that a 4K TV will do the upscaling for you anyway it just depends on which does it better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.