DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   The Fugitive (1993) Remastered 20th Anniv Ed ??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/608868-fugitive-1993-remastered-20th-anniv-ed.html)

bunkaroo 05-09-13 02:45 PM

Re: The Fugitive (1993) Remastered 20th Anniv Ed ???

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 11684835)
A Best Buy employee wouldn't know what The Fugitive even is. Heck, they probably wouldn't know what a "Blue Ray" is either.

But they sure as hell could sell you a protection plan for it! :lol:

EddieMoney 05-09-13 02:57 PM

Buy this protection plan, or your "Blue Rays" will turn teal.

My Other Self 05-09-13 02:59 PM

That's rivaling the Real Genius DVD art for "worst artwork ever",

Just use the theatrical poster and slap a banner at the top. I could come up with something better in MS Paint.

moviefan2k4 05-09-13 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 11684872)
That's rivaling the Real Genius DVD art for "worst artwork ever",

Just use the theatrical poster and slap a banner at the top. I could come up with something better in MS Paint.

The poster has been used on every home video release so far, including the 2008 Blu-Ray. WB is just switching colors to make it more noticeable on a shelf.

My Other Self 05-09-13 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 (Post 11685042)
The poster has been used on every home video release so far, including the 2008 Blu-Ray. WB is just switching colors to make it more noticeable on a shelf.

Yeah, I realize that, but then do something new. The one they whipped up looks absolutely terrible and cheap.

Josh Z 05-10-13 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 11685092)
Yeah, I realize that, but then do something new. The one they whipped up looks absolutely terrible and cheap.

Inevitably, "doing something new" would result in an even uglier "floating head" montage.

RocShemp 05-11-13 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 11685934)
Inevitably, "doing something new" would result in an even uglier "floating head" montage.

Or something like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514RZ3Y3MTL.jpg

E Unit 05-11-13 07:12 AM

Speaking of...where's that damn title in blu?

TheMovieman 06-02-13 12:58 AM

Saw the back cover via Warner's press page and the audio is 5.1 DTS-HD MA. IIRC, the original BD was just DD 5.1, correct?

TheBang 06-02-13 03:21 AM

Correct. Original BD was DD 5.1

Mr. Cinema 06-26-13 04:34 PM

http://imageshack.us/a/img196/1336/1000394403brdbk.jpg

Shannon Nutt 06-26-13 04:51 PM

^ Cautiously optimistic. UNFORGIVEN said it was remastered on the Digi-book as well - it wasn't.

I note it doesn't say "Newly" remastered. :) At least it looks like they added a lossless DTS track. Still worried that the video is the same.

Alan Smithee 06-26-13 06:27 PM

Having this on both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, I'm amazed that the transfer on them even made it on the market. It looks like it was transferred through a screen door! Whoever OK'd it was obviously blind. (Several other Warner HD-DVDs have similar transfers, including Lethal Weapon 2, Willy Wonka, The Perfect Storm, Enter the Dragon and Caddyshack.)

RocShemp 06-26-13 10:39 PM

I never realized that David Twohy co-wrote this movie.

DJariya 06-26-13 10:52 PM

Nice and that's cool they included the Pilot for the CBS TV series. I remember watching it. Tim Daly played Kimble and Mykelti Williamson played Gerard.

If I recall correctly, in the season/series finale, Gerard was killed off.

dablueguy 06-27-13 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11745350)
If I recall correctly, in the season/series finale, Gerard was killed off.

I believe that it was never shown who was killed off. My memory could be cloudy here but I thought that he was struggling with the real killer and Kimble was trying to get there when you heard the sound of the gunshot but no reveal. I assume that it would have been shown in the next season that never happened. I never could understand why the producers of these shows didn't get some type of assurance that there WOULD be a next season before leaving things like this.

Josh Z 06-27-13 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11745340)
I never realized that David Twohy co-wrote this movie.

The movie had at least 9 writers, only two of whom (Twohy and Jeb Stuart) were eventually credited. It went through more than 25 rewrites, and started production without a finished script. Some of this is superficially touched-upon in the making-of featurette on the Blu-ray, but the buzz at the time of the movie's release was that its writing process was total chaos. Too many studio executives, too many producers and a cranky Harrison Ford were all throwing contradictory "notes" at the revolving door of writers.

It's kind of amazing that the movie turned out to be successful. I've never really understood its popularity, personally. It's a competent but fairly generic thriller, IMO.

RocShemp 06-28-13 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 11745721)
The movie had at least 9 writers, only two of whom (Twohy and Jeb Stuart) were eventually credited. It went through more than 25 rewrites, and started production without a finished script. Some of this is superficially touched-upon in the making-of featurette on the Blu-ray, but the buzz at the time of the movie's release was that its writing process was total chaos. Too many studio executives, too many producers and a cranky Harrison Ford were all throwing contradictory "notes" at the revolving door of writers.

It's kind of amazing that the movie turned out to be successful. I've never really understood its popularity, personally. It's a competent but fairly generic thriller, IMO.

Interesting. It's been so long that I honestly don't remember much of anything about the production of the movie beyond the hype over the train crash and Tommy Lee Jones' Best Supporting Actor nomination (and win?).

Michael Corvin 06-28-13 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 11745721)
I've never really understood its popularity, personally.

Harrison Ford. Tommy Lee Jones.

That's all you need.

DJariya 06-29-13 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by dablueguy (Post 11745443)
I believe that it was never shown who was killed off. My memory could be cloudy here but I thought that he was struggling with the real killer and Kimble was trying to get there when you heard the sound of the gunshot but no reveal. I assume that it would have been shown in the next season that never happened. I never could understand why the producers of these shows didn't get some type of assurance that there WOULD be a next season before leaving things like this.

Kimble was ready to turn himself in to Gerard. It gave you the impression the series was coming to an end, then Gerard was shot or stabbed in the back by someone. It indicated there was a bigger conspiracy to frame him. Then it ended and the show was eventually cancelled.

Giles 06-29-13 09:43 AM

I hate the new MPAA rating's logo.

RocShemp 06-29-13 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 11748136)
I hate the new MPAA rating's logo.

I'm indifferent towards it. But it did look weird to me at first.

Mike86 06-29-13 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11748341)
I'm indifferent towards it. But it did look weird to me at first.

I never looked at it very closely. What's different on it now?

Giles 06-29-13 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11748502)

It's boxier, and the reasons are now to the right of the rating, instead of them being under the rating.

RocShemp 06-29-13 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11748502)

http://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg...72f1db0de3a13c

How new MPAA campaign will tweak current movie ratings

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/ar...91/1122391.jpg
http://www.deseretnews.com/images/ar...92/1122392.jpg

The Motion Picture Association of America's forthcoming “Check the Box” campaign will enlarge the existing "explanation boxes" on movie posters and film trailers that detail what types of content caused a given film to receive its rating, according to an address MPAA chairman and CEO Christopher Todd gave Tuesday in Las Vegas.

"While ratings featured in movie trailers, posters, and display ads already feature a box that summarizes the criteria that determined the movie's rating, Dodd said the 'Check The Box' campaign will make these descriptions more prominent," Mark Deming reported for Yahoo's Movie Talk blog.

“The new ‘Check the Box’ campaign will highlight descriptions of why a movie received a certain rating,” Pamela McClintock wrote for The Hollywood Reporter. “Also, there will be a tag attached to trailers explaining that the trailer is approved to play with the feature they came to see. The campaign also includes a new (public service announcement) as well as a new poster that will be displayed at theaters nationwide. … ‘Throughout its existence, the goal of the rating system has never changed: to inform parents and allow them to make their own decisions, considering their children’s sensibilities and unique sensitivities,’ Dodd said during his keynote address.”

In contrast to Dodd’s sunny optimism, The Atlantic film critic Noah Gittell predicts “Check the Box” will do more harm than good.

“It's an awful idea,” Gittell wrote Friday. “Not only will it do nothing to prevent gun violence, but it could lead to more children and teenagers seeing violent films because it highlights the elements that are most tantalizing — the adult content.

“It shouldn't be a surprise that the plan is ineffectual; the MPAA is funded by six major Hollywood studios, and it is their mission to promote the industry and ensure profits. It follows that the aim of the ratings system has never been to prevent anyone's admittance to a movie. … The MPAA's new labels will not stop anyone from seeing movies with adult content; it will only save children the trouble of squinting.”