HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Malena

Old 02-07-13, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts
Malena

I know some of you wanted this movie uncut on BD. There's an uncut Korean BD release.

I've never seen the movie so I dunno if it's worth a blind buy. It is a very nice look set, however.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-07-13 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 681 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Malena

It's worth a watch, but if you're just in it for the nudity just use the internet.
Old 02-07-13, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
It's worth a watch, but if you're just in it for the nudity just use the internet.
Is that why it's so coveted? Yeah, I can use the net for that. I was under the impression that it was some obscure masterpiece given how nuts people elswhere seem about this release.
Old 02-07-13, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

English subs?
Old 02-07-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For those interested, here are some pics of the set posted by someone over at Blu-ray.com:

Spoiler:

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
English subs?
Yes.
Old 02-07-13, 10:01 AM
Banned by request

Received 776 Likes on 580 Posts

I love this movie, but not for that ridiculous price. As for the film itself, it you like Cinema Paradiso, then you will like this. Both have that same approach with the story told through the eyes of a young boy. Monica Bellucci nude is just a plus. I'll definitely pick this up at some point though since this has the uncut version.
Old 02-07-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I liked the movie - it's very allegorical, with Belucci being a stand-in for "Italy", and a lot of that can be lost on people not overly familiar with Italian history, or even turn them off for it's obviousness if they are. Otherwise, it's a really good movie, and needs to be seen in it's unedited form.
Old 02-07-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...D=1529#auswahl

Hmm. I do not like the colour timing of the KR release.

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
it you like Cinema Paradiso, then you will like this
Never seen that one either.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-07-13 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,165 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I like the movie alot too and have the old Miramax release on DVD.

Monica Bellucci is one of the most beautiful and sexy woman in the world.

I think part of the attraction of this movie is the young boy in all of us (who is the main character of this flick) going through puberty and learning to appreciate a beautiful woman.

There is also a darker tone to the movie as well.

Been wanting the Uncut version of this movie for ages. Going to travel to Hong Kong in a few weeks. I'll see if I can find it there.
Old 02-07-13, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Going to travel to Hong Kong in a few weeks.
I am so sorry. I hope you make it back alright.
Old 02-07-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind View Post
I am so sorry. I hope you make it back alright.
Okay...whatever that means.

Staying on point, Hong Kong sometimes sells Korean BDs/DVDs, so maybe with some luck I will be able to find it there and not too expensive.
Old 02-07-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.yesasia.com/us/malena-200...0-en/info.html

It is on BD in HK (not the Korean version), however it's the 92 minute version.
Old 02-07-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this similar in content to the old 2 disc KR release? Some of it looked really interesting; wished it had English subs.
Old 02-07-13, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Korean BD has English subtitles: http://www.yesasia.com/us/malena-blu...0-en/info.html
Old 02-07-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterHowie View Post
The Korean BD has English subtitles: http://www.yesasia.com/us/malena-blu...0-en/info.html
I meant the extras. The one hour doc. that I was interested in has only KR subs and the rest is the same as the 2 disc version.

From Blu-ray.com

Ten years ago, DVD Times (UK) reviewed the Korean DVD. Below is an excerpt of the Extras part. You can have a rough idea of the contents of the BD extras (The extras of the Korean BD is identical with the previous Korean DVD).

Extras
The Life & Dream of Giuseppe Tornatore (52.53)
This is an Arena-style documentary, Un Sogno Fatto in Sicilia (A Dream Made in Sicily), that takes a look at Sicily and Tornatore’s hometown of Bagheria as it is depicted in the director’s films and in the films of Rosi and Visconti. Tornatore is interviewed and there is footage from home-videos, the director’s early documentaries and his films. The documentary is in Italian with only Korean subtitles (optional), presented in 1.66:1 letterbox with Dolby Digital 2.0 sound.

Making Film
Four behind the scenes looks at the filming of Malèna. Making 1 (24.22) shows the shooting of Malèna drying her hair in the sun; Making 2 (4.17) is the shooting of the scene in the market at the end of the film; Making 3 (6.44) is a shot of Renato looking longingly at Malèna from his bicycle; Making 4 (10.18) is of Malèna and Renato on the beach at the end of the film. 4:3 ratio, video quality, these are blurry and soft. The features contain optional Korean subtitles only, but most of the scenes are silent with only the director calling Action or commenting on the take, so it is perfectly possible to watch this without losing anything.

Backstage (12.31)
This is an English language Making of Malèna featurette. A typical promo piece, it features clips from the film (unsubtitled) with soundbite interviews, in English, with Monica Bellucci and Giuseppe Tornatore.

Interviews
Giuseppe Tornatore (9.14). The interviews are in Italian with only Korean subtitles, the questions are shown in Korean text. Quality is a bit rough and sound isn’t too distinct. Tornatore talks about shooting the film in Morocco, which had the look he wanted of an unmodernised Sicily in the 1940s, as well as people who looked like Sicilians of the period. He also talks about the difficulty of casting a boy in the role of Renato. Giuseppe Tornatore and Ennio Morricone (22.28). The director and composer talk about working initially on Cinema Paradiso, and about how it differed from their approach to the musical score of Malèna, which evolved over a two year period, was composed before the film was shot and then rearranged when the film was edited. Morricone talks about developing the musical themes, the three types of music – playful tunes, sophisticated orchestration and interpretations of the music of the period - and the difficulties of blending them together. Tornatore talks about when and how to use music in the film, how he uses it to say something that cannot be expressed in any other way.

In Studio (21.51)
No language problems on this feature as there is almost no dialogue. This shows Morricone conducting a couple of the music recording sessions.

Trailers
The original theatrical trailer (2.19) is shown 2.35:1 letterbox, the American trailer (1.58) is shown 4:3 and is slightly less racy.

TV Spots
Three 32 second TV spots, all with English voiceover.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=211690&page=9
Old 02-08-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Thanks Rocshemp for pointing this out.

I went ahead and ordered it off Yesasia.com

Grand total was $36.48 with free shipping & no sales tax. Kind of high price to pay to see Monica Bellucci's tits in HD.

The BD is $37.99. Yesasia gives free shipping with a $39 order or more.

I bought some mini lamp highlights pencils which were $1.49

There is also a coupon code for NEWTWITTER3 that takes $3 off

So that's how I ended up paying $36.48

FYI, due to Chinese New Year being this Sunday, items will be delayed shipping until the 14th.
Old 02-08-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Kind of high price to pay to see Monica Bellucci's tits in HD.
And her bush. And her tush. Just saying, there is more value than just her glorious tits in your purchase.
Old 02-24-13, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the import uncut version on DVD never thought I'd see it available on Blu-ray. Think I'll place an order when my tax return arrives.
Old 02-24-13, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you love Cinema. You'll love cinema Paradiso.

...Malena in HD. But from Korea. I'll pass for now.
Old 02-24-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 779 Likes on 600 Posts

Wow, that was unexpected. I have the UNCUT Korean dvd that I got from a friend a while ago. May import this at some point. We'll see.