Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Blu-Ray Snubbing Robert Duvall?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Is Blu-Ray Snubbing Robert Duvall?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Is Blu-Ray Snubbing Robert Duvall?

No love for The Great Santini?
Old 01-18-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I haven't seen that since I saw it in high school. Would love to see a Blu.
Old 01-21-13, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Maybe Duvall fans skew older and the studios feel the older demographic does not favor buying blu-ray discs.
Old 01-21-13, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how you're defining his "biggest movies," but I think to most people those would be the Godfather films, Apocalypse Now, To Kill a Mockingbird, Lonesome Dove (miniseries, but still), THX 1138, and Network, all of which are on Blu-ray. I do think Tender Mercies is overdue, though. Almost all of his films from the past 13 years are out on Blu-ray, though he only has starring roles in a couple of those.

My favorite Duvall film is probably Tomorrow, and I'm not holding out hope that that'll ever get released on Blu-ray.
Old 01-21-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I could have just one more film Duvall was in on Blu-ray, it would be "Thank You for Smoking"
Old 01-22-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
First movie that pops into my head every time someone mentions Duvall. That's a GREAT performance.
Old 01-24-13, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
IMO, Robert Duvall is a living legend, perhaps the greatest actor of our time with a massive body of work. As a huge Duvall fan, I've become aware that quite a number of his movies just don't make it to blu-ray for some reason, and in one case, it barely made it to dvd.

We're not talking stinkers here either. These are good films:

Tender Mercies - Duvall won an Oscar for this film for heaven's sake! Even more irritating, Jeff Bridge's Crazy Heart is on blu-ray and the storyline is practically the same.

Open Range - one of my all time favorite westerns. I still remember seeing this in the theater and being rocked in my seat by the realistic shotgun blasts. It's a classic western with gorgeous scenary that would look amazing on blu-ray.

Rambling Rose - It's been so long since I've seen this one, but I love prohibition era movies and Duvall was excellent in his role as always.

Stars Fell on Henreitta
- apparently a forgotten gem. I love Duvall as a down on his luck wild catter in the oil boom days, and Brian Dennehy along with Billy Bob Thorton are great as well. Sadly, this film barely managed a dvd release. You can only order it online and it's never cheaper than $19.99.

The Apostle - perhaps the crowning achievement of Duvall's career. He wrote, directed, financed and starred in this powerful redemption tale. Outstanding.

Wrestling Ernest Hemingway
- I'll admit that I've never watched this, but I remember it getting rave reviews.

I could go on. There are others, and he does have plenty of films in blu-ray. But it just seems odd that Duvall's biggest movies remain perhaps forgotten in the land of dvd.
OPEN RANGE is a fantastic film! But I'm pretty sure that it is available....
Old 01-31-13, 09:53 AM
Banned

Duvall is snubbing Blu-Ray. He's too old for this shit.
Old 04-14-14, 05:28 PM

April 10, 2014

B2MP, Inc. to release Blu-ray/DVD combo of TOMORROW with Robert Duvall

B2MP, Inc. is excited to announce its upcoming release of a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack of Tomorrow starring Robert Duvall. This title will be sold exclusively on the B2MP website and will not be available at retail outlets. This marks the first release of the film on Blu-ray and the return to DVD of the film after a several year absence.

Often cited as one of his favorite performances, Robert Duvall stars as Jackson Fentry, a solitary man and sawmill caretaker, who meets and eventually falls in love with an abandoned pregnant woman.

Academy Award ™ winner Horton Foote (“To Kill a Mockingbird”, “Tender Mercies”) wrote the screenplay based on his stage adaptation of a short story by William Faulkner. Directed by Joseph Anthony (“The Matchmaker”, “The Rainmaker”), and shot in beautiful black and white to convey the era in which it takes place, the film is a haunting, emotional tale about a man’s capacity for love.

From the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, and newly transferred to high definition, the film will be presented in 16X9 1080p on the Blu-ray with 24 bit 48 kHz LPCM 2.0 mono audio. The DVD will feature DTS 2.0 mono audio. Retail price is $29.98 and the discs will ship in late April.

Coming over the next few months will be a Native American silent film Blu-ray set, which will include The Last of the Mohicans and The Silent Enemy in high definition and The Vanishing American in standard definition, and a Blu-ray/DVD combo of Around the World With Orson Welles: The Complete Series, including the previously lost episode, Revisiting Vienna, aka The Third Man Returns To Vienna.
Old 04-14-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got Joe Kidd
Old 04-15-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Robert Duvall is doing OK on Blu-ray so far.

What I'd like to know, though: what about Robert Davi? When will his time in hi-def come?
Old 04-16-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Robert Duvall is doing OK on Blu-ray so far.

What I'd like to know, though: what about Robert Davi? When will his time in hi-def come?
Licence to Kill and Showgirls are both available on Blu-ray now.
Old 05-11-14, 11:35 AM

I am pleased to announce that Tomorrow with Robert Duvall is now shipping as a Blu-ray/DVD combo. It is available on the B2MP website or on amazon at a slight premium price.
This is a beautiful film that has been unavailable for several years and I am delighted to be able to release it.
Old 05-11-14, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who the fuck do you work for? Popped out of nowhere. You're not spam are you?
Old 05-11-14, 03:08 PM

No, I'm not spam. B2MP, Inc. is a niche company that releases classic films on Blu-ray. Some of my previous releases, Frank Capra's Lady for a Day, Clive Brooks' On Approval, and Bryan Forbes' The Slipper and the Rose were released through Inception Media Group.

The Puppetoon Movie limited edition 2 disc Blu-ray Set and Tomorrow Blu-ray/DVD combo are sold on the B2MP website, as will my future releases.

Next up is King Vidor's Our Daily Bread from his 35mm nitrate lavender in a Blu-ray/DVD combo set.

Following in the next few months will be a Native American silent film set featuring Last of the Mohicans, The Silent Enemy in high definition and The Vanishing American in standard definition.

After that, a Blu-ray/DVD combo of Around The World With Orson Welles: The Complete Series, featuring all six episodes including Revisiting Vienna, aka The Third Man Returns To Vienna and The Dominici Affair as a bonus film.

Best,

Bruce Venezia
Old 05-12-14, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lady for a Day was a great release especially for a niche label. Tomorrow looks very tempting for a Duvall fan. Cool that you've gone to dual format releases too. Thanks for posting Bruce. I like who the fuck you work for.