Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Clone Wars sets 1-4?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Hello...and Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays

I'm really thinking of getting the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars since I've actually caught a few episodes lately and have liked them. I figure I might as well start with Season 1 and go down the line. However when I'm looking at some of the specs for both BR and DVD I'm seeing all sort of aspect ratios and even different sets within a series.

I've seen Series One and Two in two different BR sets with about a $10 difference. There's a slight difference in minutes but not by much?

So far I've seen 2:40:1, 1:33:1, 1:77:1 aspect ratios with full and widescreen descriptions.

Even though I'd like the BR version I'd like to know if anyone has the DVD and how does it look upconverted? Right now every few dollars saved is a good thing and just giving it a bit of a thought.
Old 12-25-12, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars sets 1-4?

Just a wild guess here, but maybe the difference in pricing is due to packaging (digibook vs. regular case), and the shifting aspect ratios/durations due to human error and bad listings?
Old 12-25-12, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All full seasons of the The Clone Wars on Blu-ray and DVD are 2.40. - The Supplements are 1.78.

The DVDs compilations of the CG Clone Wars are 1.85, which like the Cartoon Network broadcast are crops of the 2.40 image. (Internationally, the show is broadcast in its original 2.40 aspect ratio. - You can thank US television viewers for the stupidity that it is cropped on our broadcasts.)

The Genndy Tartakovsky 2D Clone Wars is 1.78, and only available on DVD.

Go ahead and buy the Blu-ray discs.

fitprod

Last edited by fitprod; 12-25-12 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-26-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The big difference is on season one, which was first released in a deluxe digibook packaging and has now been replaced by a normal package. Same contents, but the digibook is much cooler.
Old 12-26-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Wow, I had no idea this was created in 2.40:1
Old 12-26-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Wasn't the first lame-o "highlight episode" release not even anamorphically enhanced? Ridiculous in this day and age.
Old 12-26-12, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Well since the wife is now unemployed I found a used Season 1 BR for $20.00 shipped off Amazon.

All the reviews on the series have surprised me as aduts have bought these for themselves and their kids. I thought it looked pretty good on the HD broadcast but everyone said it's even better on the BR, visual and sound wise. So I'll keep looking for deals. I just don't want to or plan on skipping the series.

Thanks for clarifying the aspect part.