Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Play Everything Blu-rays?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Have they ever thought of doing this? After watching the remaining James Bonds ,with their countless two-minute features,it just seems too me that the movie viewing experience would be much more enjoyable if I didn't have to fuck with the remote control every 5 minutes.

Was it the Alien movies special features that had a play everthing tab but besides that I can't think of any other ones.

Even having a play everything tab at the start menu screen would be a welcome change.
Old 12-14-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Play Everything Blu-rays?

If I check out the special features at all, I pick and choose so that feature would not help me.
Old 12-14-12, 03:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Not exactly what you're describing, but Homeland has a feature where you can "Play All" episodes in order and it will remember which episode you're on, prompt you to switch discs, etc. It's pretty great. I don't buy a lot of TV series on BD so this may be more common than I think, but it was new to me.
Old 12-14-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
If I check out the special features at all, I pick and choose so that feature would not help me.
They could always have it the other way also where you can pick what you want to watch.
Old 12-14-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Not exactly what you're describing, but Homeland has a feature where you can "Play All" episodes in order and it will remember which episode you're on, prompt you to switch discs, etc. It's pretty great. I don't buy a lot of TV series on BD so this may be more common than I think, but it was new to me.
I'm not too crazy about tv series that don't list the episodes and you wind up scratching your head where you left off. Lions Gate is guilty as charged. Example-According to Jim. But then,thats dvd,but that shouldn't matter.

Another thing-I have sleep apnea and must wear a mask when I sleep. Usually fall asleep watching blu-rays and dvds and once I put on the mask.,can't read the menu screen for special features because the print is so frickin small,so having a play everything tab would come in handy.
Old 12-15-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Regarding the small bits of special features not being all together, I seem to remember some years back it was discovered that if you had them all together in a "feature length" form, you had to pay the actors and such at different rates than if you cut them up into "EPK" length, that's why they're in smaller chunks.
Old 12-15-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Couldn't they have programable blu-ray players that could figure out how to play everything on a blu-ray disc?
Old 12-15-12, 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Couldn't they have programable blu-ray players that could figure out how to play everything on a blu-ray disc?
I don't think you understand your issue. Your issue is inherent in the disc, you already understand this though. So the problem w/ you is the BD. It's got certain things in there that order it as it is, Java etc etc. No BD player could fix that if the player has to read the disc. Therefore succumbing to your issue.
Old 12-16-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Regarding the small bits of special features not being all together, I seem to remember some years back it was discovered that if you had them all together in a "feature length" form, you had to pay the actors and such at different rates than if you cut them up into "EPK" length, that's why they're in smaller chunks.
It's true. Anything less than half an hour is considered a promotional obligation covered by the actor's contract. Longer than a half hour, and the work becomes a "documentary," which is its own entity separate from the film, and therefore requires royalty payments.

Studios routinely hack documentaries into smaller chunks to avoid paying royalties. The most shameless example of this I can think of are the features on Ridley Scott's Black Rain. Laurent Bouzereau made a 38-minute production documentary that the studio cleaved into two separate parts, one running 29 minutes which just sort of stops mid-thought, and the other finishing off the remaining 9 minutes.
Old 12-16-12, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z

Studios routinely hack documentaries into smaller chunks to avoid paying royalties. The most shameless example of this I can think of are the features on Ridley Scott's Black Rain. Laurent Bouzereau made a 38-minute production documentary that the studio cleaved into two separate parts, one running 29 minutes which just sort of stops mid-thought, and the other finishing off the remaining 9 minutes.
I think it was the same for the Enter The Dragon DVD/BD. It was one long interview with Bruce's wife but it was cut into 1 -2 min. segments. There was an option to play all, though.
Old 12-16-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disney Fast Play options play everything on the disc one after the other. Don't know if that's been carried over.
Old 12-19-12, 06:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was very happy that the Star Wars box set had "play all" options on the special features discs.

Looking at the book first and how everything was divided, I was ready to be really pissed when the deleted scenes and such were separated by individual "worlds" within individual films. I didn't want to have to go into Empire Strikes Back and then into Hoth to watch some deleted scenes for a couple of minutes and then go back to Empire Strikes Back and then into Cloud City to watch more, etc.

So, when I found "Play All Deleted Scenes", etc. on the menus I was so incredibly happy.
Old 12-19-12, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlers
I was very happy that the Star Wars box set had "play all" options on the special features discs.

Looking at the book first and how everything was divided, I was ready to be really pissed when the deleted scenes and such were separated by individual "worlds" within individual films. I didn't want to have to go into Empire Strikes Back and then into Hoth to watch some deleted scenes for a couple of minutes and then go back to Empire Strikes Back and then into Cloud City to watch more, etc.

So, when I found "Play All Deleted Scenes", etc. on the menus I was so incredibly happy.
Are you kidding me? Are you talking about the big Bluray box? I've been playing those things one by one.