Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner Archive goes Blu -- whoddathunkit?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Warner Archive goes Blu -- whoddathunkit?

Old 11-15-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Warner Archive goes Blu -- whoddathunkit?

Cool. There were some Cary Grant titles I had been meaning to get.
Old 11-15-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Nice to hear about this. Hopefully they'll put up a list of some of the possible titles that they'll offer soon.
Old 11-15-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Sounds like good news!

Using pressed Blu-ray sounds rather odd considering, to the best of my knowledge, they never pressed any DVDs for their archive titles.

Pressing a small run of 1000 DVDs costs much less than pressing 1000 Blu-ray discs because of all the extra license fees involved with pressing Blu-ray.

BD-R's are generally pretty good as most of the ones I use have the same anti-scratch protective layer as the pressed versions.
Old 11-15-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Sounds like good news!

Using pressed Blu-ray sounds rather odd considering, to the best of my knowledge, they never pressed any DVDs for their archive titles.

Pressing a small run of 1000 DVDs costs much less than pressing 1000 Blu-ray discs because of all the extra license fees involved with pressing Blu-ray.

BD-R's are generally pretty good as most of the ones I use have the same anti-scratch protective layer as the pressed versions.
Are you actually disappointed that they're not BD-Rs?
Old 11-15-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Are you actually disappointed that they're not BD-Rs?
Not at all, I just hope they're not using the term "replicated" (pressing) when they really mean "duplicated" (burning). Add to that they're $10 less than the DVD titles. It just seems odd.

Either way, BD-Rs are still acceptable.
Old 11-15-12, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to have Gypsy. Can we get a list?
Old 11-15-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

Great News! I'm especially happy about Fearless finally becoming available in it's OAR.

And Warner always has sales on the archive titles so I am sure that eventually these will be available for cheaper prices in a sale.
Old 11-15-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Sounds like good news!

Beginning about August, all the multi-disc sets they release (3 or more discs) will initially be pressed. When that supply runs out, they will transition to burned.

Also, the DVD-R Archive titles may have higher list prices at other e-tailers like Amazon and B&N, but most are now $14.95-$18.95 on the WBshop site.
And of course can be had for much less during any of their frequent sales (and the next good one should be starting a week from today).

I'm just fine with the price point and initial news of this-
however
another way to think of this is that they merely shifted two of their standard retail catalog releases out of the normal retail chain and have set a more rigid price point for them. Even 24 titles a year isn't all that many when you look at the scope of the catalog titles they now control (which includes Paramount and the Sam Goldwyn catalog). They could release 24 per month and I would still find myself waiting years to get certain titles.
Fearless is great news for it's fans, but I've been pining for Year Of Living Dangerously and at the same time would absolutely upgrade Mosquito Coast. If it's just Fearless, I'm going to be disappointed as only 23 other open slots/year doesn't bode well for a speedy release of the others.
The news is a net positive, I do believe, but not quite as amazing as I reflexively thought.
Old 11-15-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

^ In fairness, the press release did say a minimum of one to two releases per month, so we might end up getting far more than just 24 titles a year. If these Blu-rays sell pretty well, I'm sure we'll start getting more than just two releases per month. It all depends on how well they do, but it seems like the DVDs have done well. I think that bodes well for the future of the Blu-rays. I'm hoping anyway.

As you say, there are a huge number of titles at their disposal. I'd like to see a longer list of titles planned for release, but I am optimistic considering just the four we know about. All four titles are from directors of note, even though Mervyn LeRoy might not be a household name.
Old 11-15-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

HUDSUCKER PROXY - Sure sure!
Old 11-15-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts

I just wish Netflix would pick a lot of the Archive up and rent them (DVD & now BD). A lot of movies I would like to see but don't want to own.
Old 11-15-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by junglalien
With that being the case, then bring on both The Hudsucker Proxy and Fearless! And throw in Running On Empty while you're at it!

Sounds like good news!

The multi-disc DVD sets released through the Archive are released as pressed copies first, then burned copies are made once that initial batch sells through.
Old 11-15-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
The multi-disc DVD sets released through the Archive are released as pressed copies first, then burned copies are made once that initial batch sells through.
I never knew that. Do they mark them as MODs once they start doing burned copies? And, are the sets clearly marked as pressed DVDs when released or is this something that must be assumed?
Old 11-16-12, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

want Hudsucker Proxy, you know, for kids.
Old 11-16-12, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is good news IMHO and Im in for Hudsucker and Fearless first up.
Old 11-16-12, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
upgrade Mosquito Coast.
At the top of my wishlist.
Old 11-16-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't want to turn this into a WB wish list, but I really hope Nothing But Trouble is early out the gate.
Old 11-16-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I don't want to turn this into a WB wish list, but I really hope Nothing But Trouble is early out the gate.

and FEDS!
Old 11-16-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very cool, though I'm pretty underwhelmed by the 1st two titles.
Old 11-16-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer99
Very cool, though I'm pretty underwhelmed by the 1st two titles.
My guess is that many of the more popular titles people will name for this program's wish list are off-limits to Warner Archive. The main home video division has to sign off on consigning any movie to this program and there is probably a very lengthy list of movies that never will fall under its purview.

The first two announced releases somewhat give that away, because there are more commercial choices Warner Archive could have made to start the program.
Old 11-16-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The first two announced releases somewhat give that away, because there are more commercial choices Warner Archive could have made to start the program.
Still, having a Coen Bros. film as an early release offers a lot of promise for what the future might hold.
Old 11-16-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

I hope they will continue to release titles that were only released in non-OAR on DVD. The Candidate, Clean & Sober, Running on Empty and Star 80 are just a few I would like to see make it into the program.
Old 11-16-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

This is great news for us catalog film lovers! I think this will succeed a lot better than a Twilight Time type model, due to price point alone. Warner has usually given their MOD DVDs very decent transfers, so hopefully they will follow suit in 1080p. Hopefully the titles aren't BD-Rs; if this is the case, they will certainly be limited to only 25 GB single-layered discs, which would compromise qualiity on some of the longer films.

I'm not excited about the first four titles (well, maybe DEATHTRAP), but the Warner back catalog is deep, so I'm sure we'll see some real gems come out of this. And, the best news of all is that wbarchive has some great sales around BF and the holidays, so we may see these for < $15 each!
Old 11-16-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Hopefully the titles aren't BD-Rs; if this is the case, they will certainly be limited to only 25 GB single-layered discs, which would compromise qualiity on some of the longer films.
So, you missed the part where they said they would be pressed BD's, and not BD-R's?
Old 11-16-12, 08:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

so i can get Ken Russell's 'The Boyfriend' on blu ??? that'd be ultra sweet

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.