Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's time for Mae West on Blu Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember posting several times regarding seeing Mae West on DVD , we eventually got a DVD box set , but now we're on Blu Ray and this year both Universal and Paramount are celebrating their Centennial and Paramount would never have got to that without Mae West's first couple of movies which saved the Studio from Bankruptcy as they were in severe financial straits when her first movies did so well at the Box Office!

It's high time that this important Broadway/Hollywood woman was given her Blu Ray debut! She was a sexual pioneer and a great comedienne who deserves a splendid Blu Ray transfer of her two finest comedies : She Done Him Wrong ( which was a thinly veiled bowdlerised version of her stage triumph Diamond Lil! ) and I'm No Angel her second ( it was her third movie but only her second starring role in her first movie debut Night After Night she was only in a couple of scenes was her first scene was where a Hat Check Girl says Goodness what beautiful diamonds! to which Mae replies "Goodness had nothing to do with it Dearie! " ) and in my opinion her finest movie!

I loved it best and it was her favourite film too , as she told me when I telephoned her to wish her Happy Birthday on August 17th 1977! She was a gracious and charming lady on the phone and was - to the amazement of the International Telephone Directories Operator still listed as Mae West , The Ravenswood , Rossmore Avenue , Los Angeles!

Last edited by Deco King; 10-19-12 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-12-12, 11:40 AM

Re: It's time for Mae West on Blu Ray

It's been Paramount's Centennial this year and Mae West's first two starring vehicles She Done Him Wrong and I'm No Angel both co starring Cary Grant saved the Studio from Bankruptcy so she really does deserve her Blu Ray debut as a thank you!

Did I read somewhere that Warner Bros are taking over the remastering of Paramount titles if so that would be a really great thing as they're a very proficient outfit at doing just that!
Old 12-12-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of Mae West's Paramount films now belong to Universal. A lot of the 700+ pre-1948 Paramount titles that Universal bought in the late 1950s were copied to safety stock carelessly after the purchase (and the original nitrate negatives were then junked) so don't get your hopes up for good looking elements for blu-ray, if that ever comes. I have the Carole Lombard set from Universal of some of her Paramount films, and the quality is OK but not top notch. When I look at the DVD of The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, a pre-1948 title that Paramount did NOT sell (they were doing a remake, Rock-A-Bye Baby, so held onto it), which looks terrific, I am especially sorry that all of these titles don't look as good.
Old 12-12-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would be thrilled to have some Mae on blu. Hope that it happens.
Old 12-13-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I would think the only real chance is if Universal has a MOD program like Warner. Older movies like this are really being released at a trickle on Blu-ray. Such that given the vast pool of older movies to choose from, it makes the odds of any particular title like this one, coming out in a general release, really low.