Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How many 3D Blu-Rays do you have?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

How many 3D Blu-Rays do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-14, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jory
Dredd and Dario Argento's Dracula put the 2D and 3D versions on the same disc, so I have two 3D versions I'll never watch.
My disc of Dredd simply detects that I'm not equipped for 3-D and adjusts.
Old 06-10-14, 05:22 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: How many 3D Blu-Rays do you have?

No interest in 3D, however if I can somehow manage to pick up Thor: The Dark World (3D+BD+DC+Slipcover) for a good enough price it's the only way I'm going to get any kind of a deluxe version w/ slip, of a movie that deserved better from Disney.
Old 06-10-14, 07:24 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Both of these were quickie 3D conversions performed by the mostly-automated JVC conversion software. I, Robot is cropped from the original aspect ratio to full-screen 16:9 and is not very impressive in 3D. It suffers a lot of "pop-up book effect," where it looks like a series of flat planes arranged in front of one another.

I haven't seen Predator but am told that its 3D is slightly better (improvements in the software, I guess). However, it's been confirmed that the 3D version is based on the horrid "Ultimate Hunter Edition" transfer that was DNR'ed to hell and back, which is reason enough for me to avoid it. Predator is also a pretty dark movie, and dark images aren't well suited to 3D.
Originally Posted by trespoochies
I paid $9.99 for each one, and I don't think it's worth it, mostly for the reasons Josh mentioned like wrong aspect ratio. And Predator doesn't lend itself well to being presented in 3D. The best parts were only when they showed the Predator, and even then it wasn't a robust 3D image. And yes, overall it was dark, so it's not like the 3D popped out at you.
Thanks for the input! I may end up getting the Predator one anyway just for the movie ticket, since I don't have it on BD yet. Maybe my buying it will get them to finally give it a proper release.
Old 06-10-14, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
What comment was that? That it is pointless to waste money on a useless fad?
Just go away man seriously. This thread is for people who enjoy 3D. If you don't enjoy it fine but don't ruin this for others.
Old 06-10-14, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Useless to you maybe, but not others and this really wasn't a thread to even make such a dickish comment which is merely opinion.
I know you started on 3D not too long ago. I take it you are enjoying it a lot? If so that's great, I love it so the more people that really like it the better.
Old 06-10-14, 03:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
I know you started on 3D not too long ago. I take it you are enjoying it a lot? If so that's great, I love it so the more people that really like it the better.
oh i do love it so. it just takes a good/great movie and makes it that much better. when done right it enhances the depth and visuals and the experience is so enjoyable.

Frozen was my last movie in 3D and i have watched it twice already in 3D (and for me that is saying something lately with my nil attention span and lack of time), even once in 2D.

and i do think the home experience (relaxing in your chair and enjoying with family too) makes it much better for me at least. my 3D experiences save for Avatar have been less enjoyable in the theater and less effective 3D imo. but that is just me i am sure...
Old 06-10-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Just go away man seriously. This thread is for people who enjoy 3D. If you don't enjoy it fine but don't ruin this for others.
And we have another mini mod here trying to tell me that my opinion is somehow less than valid. OP asked a question, I answered it truthfully, and was attacked by some keyboard commando with a stick up his ass. Now it seems that you may share that stick with him.

How exactly does my opinion of the current state of 3d ruin the uselss fad for others?
Old 06-10-14, 04:06 PM
Banned

oh i do love it so. it just takes a good/great movie and makes it that much better. when done right it enhances the depth and the experience is so enjoyable.

Frozen was my last movie in 3D and i have watched it twice already in 3D (and for me that is saying something lately with my nil attention span and lack of time), even once in 2D.

and i do think the home experience (relaxing in your chair and enjoying with family too) makes it much better for me at least. my 3D experiences save for Avatar have been less enjoyable in the theater and less effective 3D imo. but that is just me i am sure...
That's awesome. Glad you are enjoying it.
Old 06-10-14, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jjcool
And we have another mini mod here trying to tell me that my opinion is somehow less than valid. OP asked a question, I answered it truthfully, and was attacked by some keyboard commando with a stick up his ass. Now it seems that you may share that stick with him.

How exactly does my opinion of the current state of 3d ruin the uselss fad for others?
unlike you I made my point and I'm not going any further.
Old 06-10-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts

Since my initial post, I've added one 3D blu (The Wolverine) to my collection, bringing my total to three. I still think 3D is mostly useless, but I did watch The Wolverine for the first time in 3D last week and I admit it was kind of fun. Still, if my 3D copy vanished tomorrow, I wouldn't cry about it.

I'll also add that despite not owning the BD, seeing Gravity theatrically in 3D was a breathtaking experience. I cannot imagine that movie in any other format. The only other ones I would say that about are Cave of Forgotten Dreams and maybe Avatar.
Old 06-10-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

unlike you I made my point and I'm not going any further.
All evidence to the contrary.
Old 06-11-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

This is why I have taken most of my 3D Talk to bluray.com sub forum, less haters.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 06-11-14 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-11-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It's not just you...3D is better at home - primarily because you're getting the optimum experience on your set and not at the mercy of a theater who is dimming their projection bulb or doesn't have the picture properly focused.
Old 06-11-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Just have to reiterate that while 3D glasses do darken the picture, TVs have separate picture settings when in 3D mode and you can adjust them to compensate for that. I put a test pattern on and had the TV show it in "2D to 3D" mode and set it with the glasses as I normally do.
Old 06-11-14, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disney's A Christmas Carol
Clash of the Titans
Wrath of the Titans
The Avengers (only because of the Best Buy Light Box Deal)
Prometheus
Dredd
Predator (bc cool lenticular slip and movie cash)

Will pick up Gravity as soon as I can find one with a slip that isn't trashed.
Old 01-02-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alice in Wonderland
Tangled (Tied with LK for best)
Hugo
Titanic
The Lion King (Tied with Tangled for best)
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Cars 2
Avengers
Finding Nemo
Monster's Inc
Dredd
Gravity
Prometheus
Puss in Boots
Xmen Days of Future Past
Man of Steel ($4.99 over christmas)
Hobbit ($4.99 over christmas)

Total = 18 (I am sure I have more, but I cannot remember the other 2 while I am at work)

Funny thing, we cleaned up our house so much for company over Thanksgiving, we cannot find my 3D glasses.
Old 01-02-15, 03:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I think I'm up to about 50 now. I basically don't resist when the combo packs get down to $15-20.
Old 01-02-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Dial M For Murder
House Of Wax
Creature From The Black Lagoon (via the Universal Monster Collection)
Inferno
Gravity
Maleficent
The Bubble
Dragonfly Squadron
X-Men Days Of Future Past
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Captain America: Winter Soldier
The Wolverine
Titanic
Life Of Pi
Pina
Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

Bob Furmanek just posted over on the classic horror board that 2015 is going to see a good share of golden age 3D titles which is great news to me.
Old 01-02-15, 03:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

According to the Blu Ray app, I'm now at 104.
Old 01-02-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The other day I was at Best Buy and noticed the 4K TV's. It didn't appear as they were touting 3D. Do the new 4K sets still have 3D?
Old 01-02-15, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Some of them do, but they don't really hype it as a feature anymore. They did an OK job in the beginning demonstrating 3D in stores (I was able to see how cool it was and how much I needed it, and also the differences between active and passive 3D) but they hardly run anything in 3D now. If it doesn't cost much, they should just include it in ALL TVs- it likely doesn't cost any more than the built-in sound that's in every TV but I never use.

At this point I'm buying every 3D title I can afford, not just to have them but to also show my support for the format as it's gotten some bad press in the past year and Disney now seems to have given up on it for the US. (I got Frozen and Maleficent from Europe since they didn't release them here.)
Old 01-02-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Some of them have it. The higher the price the more likely it will. But the ones that do include it as an afterthought. It's not really a selling feature at all. However the trend is including it less and less on TVs. Sony was the 4K TV pioneer and this year will introduce a few models that will not feature 3D for the first time.

The models that they have released so far have literally included passive or active panels at random, as they had no control over what their panel suppliers chose. BTW, passive is by far the best choice for 4k 3D because it's 1080p and so you have the best of both worlds. Unfortunately they don't really care and most 4K TVs are active (fortunately I do have a passive set).
Old 01-02-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I've got 30--32, if you count the two discs (Pacific Rim and Guardians of the Galaxy) without cases that I picked up for cheap by people who didn't need and/or want the 3D versions in their combo packs.
Old 01-02-15, 08:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

43 sweet little gems.
Old 01-02-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks like I'm at 55.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.