Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray Calibration

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-Ray Calibration

Old 06-15-12, 05:17 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blu-Ray Calibration

I have the Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition DVD which includes the THX optimizer which is a calibration program to adjust picture settings. Could I use that THX optimizer to adjust the picture of Blu-Ray movies on my 55" LED TV? Because right now I have it set on "Dynamic" (which is what the HD TV automatically sets to whenever I play a Blu-Ray) with all the picture settings set on 50 (which is exactly half way) expect Backlight, which is set on full on 100. So would that THX optimizer be helpful for HD Blu-Ray Calibration as well?

If not, could anyone recommend me a calibration setting?

I have a Hinsense 55" LED TV

The picture modes consist of:

User (which is custom made settings I made myself that I use for regular TV)

Dynamic (Which I currently use for Blu-Ray playback)

Bright

Standard

Soft

Color temptation is set to normal, digital noise reduction I set to low and the motion flow feature I turned off

Last edited by T-900; 06-15-12 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-15-12, 07:08 AM
  #2  
Banned by request
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Goodbye and Good Luck
Posts: 17,800
Received 777 Likes on 581 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Try an actual calibration disc like the Disney WOW, or Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark. Something designed for full blu ray calibration. That one on the DVD was designed back in the DVD days, so it doesn't fully help with an HD setup.
Old 06-15-12, 08:03 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,869
Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

A test pattern from a DVD will work and give you a ballpark setting but a better (& free) option is on any Sony Blu-ray disc.

Just pop in any Sony Blu-ray disc and when you come to the movie's menu press the numbers "7669" and then "Enter".

A series of four test patterns should pop-up including SMPTE bars.

This isn't "true" calibration but for the non-OCD viewer it works really well!
Old 06-15-12, 01:22 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,636
Received 192 Likes on 142 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

What can be said definitively is that the "Dynamic" mode with all levels at 50 is very, very bad.
Old 06-15-12, 05:14 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 40,701
Received 1,816 Likes on 1,299 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

You could also do a web search for calibration settings for your television.

Just google your tv make and model with the word "calibration." It's possible that someone has already done the work for you.
Old 06-15-12, 09:29 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Thank you for the posts thus far guys, however talking about the THX optimizer, perhaps I could just rent the Terminator 2: Skynet Edition Blu-Ray which will include the HD version of the THX optimizer which like some have said, will be better for Blu-Ray.

However I need some kind of glasses for the tint and colour options, does anyone know where I can buy these glasses? And are they nice and cheap?
Old 06-15-12, 10:09 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,869
Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by T-900 View Post
However I need some kind of glasses for the tint and colour options, does anyone know where I can buy these glasses? And are they nice and cheap?

Actually any piece of blue cellophane will do. I used the blue lens from an old pair of red/blue 3D glasses that I had.
Old 06-15-12, 10:15 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,869
Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Just google your tv make and model with the word "calibration." It's possible that someone has already done the work for you.
Sometimes you get quite a variation of settings when you do this.

For instance, if someone calibrates their TV in a really bright livingroom on a sunny day as opposed to someone calibrating their TV at night in a dark, windowless media room, you would get two different settings.
Old 06-15-12, 10:28 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
Actually any piece of blue cellophane will do. I used the blue lens from an old pair of red/blue 3D glasses that I had.
I just did some research in regards to the THX glasses and I've heard that it will come to a total of over $80 shipping included for the THX glasses!!! I am from Australia, so its a international sale, but over $80! Hell no I'm not spending that much for one set of THX glasses!

Are you sure that any random general piece of blue cellophane that you can buy elsewhere, will work effectively with the THX calibration? Because if what you say is true then I wouldn't think twice about it because its obviously much much less expensive. You used the example of using the blue lens from a pair of old blue/red 3D glasses, unfortunately I don't have a pair of old 3D glasses around. So once again, the alternative will be any random piece of blue cellophane to use for the option that requires it?
Old 06-15-12, 11:14 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
T-bone22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,873
Received 302 Likes on 197 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by T-900 View Post
I just did some research in regards to the THX glasses and I've heard that it will come to a total of over $80 shipping included for the THX glasses!!! I am from Australia, so its a international sale, but over $80! Hell no I'm not spending that much for one set of THX glasses!

Are you sure that any random general piece of blue cellophane that you can buy elsewhere, will work effectively with the THX calibration? Because if what you say is true then I wouldn't think twice about it because its obviously much much less expensive. You used the example of using the blue lens from a pair of old blue/red 3D glasses, unfortunately I don't have a pair of old 3D glasses around. So once again, the alternative will be any random piece of blue cellophane to use for the option that requires it?
I don't know where you did your research, but they're $5.97 each w/international shipping from the THX website...

http://www.costore.com/thx/producten...87&pid=2876001
Old 06-15-12, 11:31 PM
  #11  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by T-bone22 View Post
I don't know where you did your research, but they're $5.97 each w/international shipping from the THX website...

http://www.costore.com/thx/producten...87&pid=2876001
Yes I'm aware about what the website listing states, however in regards to the initial research I did, this is what I am taking about. A fellow Australian said it ended costing over $80 with the shipping.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1655644

While the text on the THX store suggests $5-$10 international shipping, proceeding through the checkout process does indeed present you with a UPS wordwide expedited shipping cost of $87. There is no other option for shipping.
Old 06-16-12, 01:25 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,869
Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by T-900 View Post
You used the example of using the blue lens from a pair of old blue/red 3D glasses, unfortunately I don't have a pair of old 3D glasses around. So once again, the alternative will be any random piece of blue cellophane to use for the option that requires it?
I don't think it's really that critical if it's official THX brand. They may say otherwise.

When you hold the blue cellophane or gel to your eyes and you can still see red, green and yellow, it means the blue cellophane or gel is too light. Fold the piece over or double it up until all you see is blue and black.

It should suffice and it's much cheaper than $80!
Old 06-16-12, 01:49 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,790
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Why not get this disc? It includes the blue color filter.
Old 06-16-12, 02:01 AM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
I don't think it's really that critical if it's official THX brand. They may say otherwise.

When you hold the blue cellophane or gel to your eyes and you can still see red, green and yellow, it means the blue cellophane or gel is too light. Fold the piece over or double it up until all you see is blue and black.

It should suffice and it's much cheaper than $80!
Thank you orangerunner. I will buy some blue cellophane very soon and see if it works with the tint/colour setting on the THX optimizer. I will report back here if it was successful or bust.
Old 06-17-12, 03:11 AM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
I don't think it's really that critical if it's official THX brand. They may say otherwise.

When you hold the blue cellophane or gel to your eyes and you can still see red, green and yellow, it means the blue cellophane or gel is too light. Fold the piece over or double it up until all you see is blue and black.
I'm having a problem with the colour/tint option. Without the blue cellophane I see the obvious blacks in between, blue, white, a light red and a light blue (with the light red part in the pattern overlapping the white thus to form the light blue.) [

With the cellophane over my eyes I am seeing the obvious blacks, the whites and the light blues. I also don't have a colour or hue/tint adjustment in my picture settings for the TV I am using (This is for a different TV, not the main TV that I was talking about previously which does have colour, hue and tint options, unlike this one) However I would have liked to calibrate this TV as well because it suffers of bascially the same problems, the only thing is that this smaller HD TV is used for DVD only and not blu-ray.

Anyway for this TV the picture settings consist of: brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpness.

Would maybe adjusting the saturation setting help since the TV lacks a colour and hue/tint setting?

Also the sharpness on this TV only goes up to 7 max. Since that's so low anyway, what number would u recommend sharpness levels on?

thanks for your tme
Old 06-17-12, 03:21 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auburn University
Posts: 2,424
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

I had a certain forum member's mother calibrate my disc. I'm not telling either, but i'll upload videos if interest is shown.


edit: Mom jokes aren't spam, this I know.
Old 06-17-12, 03:43 AM
  #17  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,173
Received 402 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Just google your tv make and model with the word "calibration." It's possible that someone has already done the work for you.
+1

I bought both the Disney WOW and DVE HD Basics blu-rays. The Disney one was much better and gave me a really good looking picture. It also made it really easy to understand how all the different settings work.

But in the end, I tried out a bunch of different calibration settings that were recommended on AV forums. And I ended up finding one that looks perfect.
Old 06-17-12, 04:24 AM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
You could also do a web search for calibration settings for your television.

Just google your tv make and model with the word "calibration." It's possible that someone has already done the work for you.
I have a Hisense 55" HL55T36PZL in the T36 Series. I have not found a pre set calibration on the internet as far as I can see.

http://www.hisense.com.au/products/t...ed/type/38/209

Note: Those are the details of my main central TV that I have the Blu-Ray picture quality problems with.
Old 06-17-12, 12:26 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,869
Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by T-900 View Post
I'm having a problem with the colour/tint option. Without the blue cellophane I see the obvious blacks in between, blue, white, a light red and a light blue (with the light red part in the pattern overlapping the white thus to form the light blue.) [

With the cellophane over my eyes I am seeing the obvious blacks, the whites and the light blues. I also don't have a colour or hue/tint adjustment in my picture settings for the TV I am using (This is for a different TV, not the main TV that I was talking about previously which does have colour, hue and tint options, unlike this one) However I would have liked to calibrate this TV as well because it suffers of bascially the same problems, the only thing is that this smaller HD TV is used for DVD only and not blu-ray.

Anyway for this TV the picture settings consist of: brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpness.

Would maybe adjusting the saturation setting help since the TV lacks a colour and hue/tint setting?

Also the sharpness on this TV only goes up to 7 max. Since that's so low anyway, what number would u recommend sharpness levels on?

thanks for your time
In general, consumer TVs label things a little different than broadcast monitors.

Brightness = black level
Contrast = white level
Tint = hue
Color = chroma

Here some info on how to calibrate using the SMPTE bars that explains it really well.

http://www.videouniversity.com/artic...how-to-use-em/


Here's another link that helps explain the Sony Blu-ray patterns found on any Sony Blu-ray disc.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/858065/son...-test-patterns
Old 06-17-12, 01:30 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 8,606
Received 99 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

I'm not sure who makes that brand but you can start here....

http://www.avsforum.com/f/166/lcd-flat-panel-displays

...for help, questions and calibration settings. Even though it says "LCD Panel Forum", it's for LED's also. Many pro-calibraters hang out there and post their settings. We have a plasma and I've done exactly that and the picture is outstanding on our Panasonic.
Old 06-18-12, 05:50 AM
  #21  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
In general, consumer TVs label things a little different than broadcast monitors.

Brightness = black level
Contrast = white level
Tint = hue
Color = chroma

Here some info on how to calibrate using the SMPTE bars that explains it really well.

http://www.videouniversity.com/artic...how-to-use-em/


Here's another link that helps explain the Sony Blu-ray patterns found on any Sony Blu-ray disc.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/858065/son...-test-patterns
Thank you for the links. Although just on 2nd link, I own a couple of Sony Blu-Ray discs and tried to activate the test patterns that you specified were on the actual blu-ray menus of the selected discs. Whenever I tried pressing "7669" then following it up by hitting "enter" it would simply just play the movie because the curser is hovered around 'play' anyway. The 2 movies I attempted were: Last Action Hero & District 9. I suppose it doesn't matter to much since just today I rented the Terminator 2 Skynet Edition for the HD version of the THX optimizer, but was just curious as to why it didn't work.

Also, just another thing. In terms of backlight for Blu-Ray on my 55" HD TV, what do you think is a decent setting to have the backlight on? Because its on full blast at the moment whenever I play Blu-Rays which I know isn't good, but what setting in general should the backlight be set to?
Old 06-18-12, 03:30 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
JTH182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,612
Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

The lower the better, but I have mine set about one or two higher than what the guys at AVS recommend.

personally, it all comes down to personal preference. I can't stand the way my set looks at "industry standard" but try to use those settings as a reference point.

your TV should make YOU happy when watching it, not some calibrator.

I know that is blasphemy to some.
Old 06-18-12, 10:00 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 40,701
Received 1,816 Likes on 1,299 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

The backlight is more a matter of personal preference and ambient viewing conditions.

I keep mine set at four or five, I think, of sixteen available levels (1=lowest, 16=brightest). It's a good medium where whites look white without being too bright and gives a decent film-like appearance.
Old 06-18-12, 10:43 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,869
Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

Originally Posted by T-900 View Post
Thank you for the links. Although just on 2nd link, I own a couple of Sony Blu-Ray discs and tried to activate the test patterns that you specified were on the actual blu-ray menus of the selected discs. Whenever I tried pressing "7669" then following it up by hitting "enter" it would simply just play the movie because the curser is hovered around 'play' anyway. The 2 movies I attempted were: Last Action Hero & District 9.
I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I assume it is on all Sony Blu-rays but I could be wrong. I tried it on Lakeview Terrace and Spiderman 3.

Some machines just require the 7669 on the menu and other machines may require pressing the enter button after.
Old 06-18-12, 10:45 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,077
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Calibration

I don't know about the Disney disc, but if you have the ability to use them, I like the AVS tests available to download here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs...p4-calibration However, these require either burning a disc or using a HTPC to play the tests.

The black and white level tests are the best I've seen, as they show you exactly what levels are going through by flashing every value near each end.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.