Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

E.T. coming Fall 2012

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

E.T. coming Fall 2012

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts
Re: E.T. coming Fall 2012

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I now hate Target and wish them to quickly go out of business. The stores are so cheap, dark, and dirty. K-Mart seems like FAO Schwartz by comparison. And, with this mess about them not having the steelbook, I can say without a doubt, I will never have anything to do with Target again.
Stop it already. Jeez.

This is a perfect description of Walmart and Kmart. I've never seen a target that looks like what you described.
Old 10-12-12, 03:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 941 Likes on 788 Posts

I now hate Target and wish them to quickly go out of business. The stores are so cheap, dark, and dirty. K-Mart seems like FAO Schwartz by comparison. And, with this mess about them not having the steelbook, I can say without a doubt, I will never have anything to do with Target again.
i call BS. until it has the next exclusive for a movie you like.
Old 10-12-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

I now hate Target and wish them to quickly go out of business. The stores are so cheap, dark, and dirty. K-Mart seems like FAO Schwartz by comparison.
I don't believe you've ever been in a Target.
Old 10-12-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe you should try going to Target anyway and work on making some fucking friends so you can stop being such a hyperbolic prick about some things.

You are constantly one step away from trolling. And that's arguable.
Old 10-12-12, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I don't believe you've ever been in a Target.
I was in one just on Monday night.
Old 10-12-12, 08:00 PM
Banned

I just checked and the steelbook was finally shipped. Now, we'll see it comes without any damage.
Old 10-12-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,164 Likes on 908 Posts

Still waiting on my copy of the digibook from Best Buy to arrive. They sent it out on October 6th but I still haven't received it Hopefully tomorrow it'll be here.
Old 10-12-12, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott1598
i call BS. until it has the next exclusive for a movie you like.
It shouldn't be that hard. This past Monday when I was in a Target was only the second time in my life that I've been in one. The first time was 15 years ago or so when the store opened.
Old 10-12-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

I was in one just on Monday night.
Then your description must come from anger rather than facts. I've been to dozens of Targets and each has been well-lit and organized. The last 3 Kmarts I've been to (and I admit I very rarely visit one) look just like they did back in the 80's; drab and desolate.
Old 10-12-12, 10:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It shouldn't be that hard. This past Monday when I was in a Target was only the second time in my life that I've been in one. The first time was 15 years ago or so when the store opened.
so wait...you've only been in a Target twice. In 15 years. And you're bitching about how the store is. The whole company of stores...for 1 you've been in...in 15 years. Stop being a pussy. just man the fuck up, and stop it w/ your BS bitching.
Old 10-13-12, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
so wait...you've only been in a Target twice. In 15 years. And you're bitching about how the store is. The whole company of stores...for 1 you've been in...in 15 years. Stop being a pussy. just man the fuck up, and stop it w/ your BS bitching.
Old 10-13-12, 10:01 AM

how is the actual digibook of the Best Buy exclsuive? good info, nice pics? worth keeping if i already have the SteelBook™?
Old 10-13-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Back to relevancy though, there are stores I absolutely loathe that I do buy things at when they have such an exclusive. Best Buy being a prime example. I used to spend thousands of dollars a year there, now, I'm lucky if I get a single Reward Zone certificate in a year... so even when I buy something like their E.T. digibook, they've still taken quite a hit from my business. So, I can't blame the guy for saying he won't be 'shopping' there again, but it does seem pretty silly to say such a thing if he was never a regular customer there like I used to be with Best Buy.

Personally, I think the BB digi craps all over that plain looking steelbook, and yes, the presentation inside is nice. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-13-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
how is the actual digibook of the Best Buy exclsuive? good info, nice pics? worth keeping if i already have the SteelBook™?
It's one of the better digibooks - similar in quality/info to the Jaws one, if you've seen that.
Old 10-13-12, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a fan of Universal's HD transfers. With them it's either an old ugly 1080p telecine or a highly touted digital "restoration" that goes overboard with the digital tweaking (The Sting, Jaws, Out Of Africa).

Well, I don't know what happened with E.T. but it's perfect. The best thing I have ever seen from Universal. It's like watching a brand-new, perfectly timed 35mm print.
Old 10-13-12, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
It's one of the better digibooks - similar in quality/info to the Jaws one, if you've seen that.
i loved the info. in the Jaws one. thanks.
Old 10-13-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Strevlac
I am not a fan of Universal's HD transfers. With them it's either an old ugly 1080p telecine or a highly touted digital "restoration" that goes overboard with the digital tweaking (The Sting, Jaws, Out Of Africa).

Well, I don't know what happened with E.T. but it's perfect. The best thing I have ever seen from Universal. It's like watching a brand-new, perfectly timed 35mm print.
This is thrilling news. I haven't watched mine yet.
Old 10-13-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got mine today. It's a nice digibook but my only complaint is Best Buy really cheaps out on their packaging. It came in a simple mailer that doesn't even have bubble wrap or anything, so I wound up with some bent corners. Oh well..
Old 10-13-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Got mine today. It's a nice digibook but my only complaint is Best Buy really cheaps out on their packaging. It came in a simple mailer that doesn't even have bubble wrap or anything, so I wound up with some bent corners. Oh well..
You should see DeepDiscount lately. Just a shrink-wrap mylar bag. I have returned my last 3 orders for broken cases. You'd think these companies would realize how much they are losing in returns vs. having better packaging.
Old 10-13-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
You should see DeepDiscount lately. Just a shrink-wrap mylar bag. I have returned my last 3 orders for broken cases. You'd think these companies would realize how much they are losing in returns vs. having better packaging.
I'm not for sure if that's what kind they used on mine or not. It's basically a bag slightly thicker than normal plastic is. Absolutely nothing in it though to protect the contents.
Old 10-13-12, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Strevlac

Yup. Spent all morning watching the film and going through the new extras.
Honestly one of the best HD transfers I've ever seen. It's beautiful.
New extras are pretty great too, the ET Journals behind the scenes doc is really cool, you really get a feel for how Spielberg directs and acts behind the camera.
Old 10-14-12, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by emachine12
It was not Universal's call... Steven Spielberg admitted he made mistake with the 2002 version and regretted it moreso than pointing guns at kids. He only approved the original 1982 version. Although you said you'll stick to the DVD so...
Aside from the stupidity of (repeatedly) changing the Solo/Greedo scene, for the most part I don't mind the improvements to Star Wars - I appreciate what Lucas is trying to do.

E.T. on the other-hand I found plain silly. The idea that you can bring in an unfinished scene using CGI is cool (eg E.T. in bath) but, like Star Wars (Jabba the Hutt at the Falcon), it just doesn't work. Likewise applying modern day P.C. overkill such as flashlights instead of guns against a movie, characters, and events that are not from such an era again didn't work. I'm very glad Speilberg regretted it and I look forward to watching the restored original when it comes out here in Australia in two more weeks.
Old 10-14-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I was at Target the other day and they had one steelbook. But I was planning to get the digibook from Best Buy so I passed.

So yesterday I was able to use an upgrade and save as we'll as the Universal $3 off coupon. Haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet (Nov 1 most likely )but the book is pretty nice.
Old 10-20-12, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone want the Steelbook? I bought it on a whim and later realized that Best Buy has the Digibook. I'd love to trade the Steelbook for a copy of the Digibook, if anyone's up for it. I opened it (which is why I didn't just return it), but is otherwise pristine, since it's just been sitting on my desk since I brought it home.
Old 01-27-13, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI. The Best Buy exclusive digibook is now on sale for $19.99. $14.99 after a dvd trade-in.