Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

When was the last time you watched an HD-DVD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

When was the last time you watched an HD-DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 10:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts
Re: When was the last time you watched an HD-DVD?

Tried to watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang when the in-laws were in town (a month ago?), but it seems that either my HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo drive is acting up, or Windows 8 Consumer Preview and TMT5 don't play nice with HD-DVDs, because the video was extremely choppy. Blu-ray plays seamlessly... as does DVD (which is how I ended up watching the movie, since the choppiness was just too distracting). A couple weeks ago, I tried The Good Shepard, and the same thing happened. So, I copied the files to my hard drive and... it played fine. WTF. So, for some reason, Windows 8 / TMT5 doesn't want me to play HD-DVDs directly, but has no problem playing the HD-DVD files from my hard drive. Very strange. I had no problems like this when I had Windows 8 Dev Preview installed, but something changed in the Consumer Preview to cause this to happen.
Old 05-24-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I have a small collection of HD and even at $5 it would cost $400 to replace them with Blu. I know my HD stuff is worth something but not enough to justify changing everything over. Plus I think there are a few titles I still can't get on Blu
I only had about 30 or so titles on HD-DVD and I scored most of them on the cheap when HD-DVD's demise was near. There were only a handful of titles that I paid more than $5-10 for (Children of Men, Transformers, The Bourne Ultimatum, and a few others).

All of my Warner HD-DVDs were replaced on the cheap as I used either the DVD-2-Blu or Red-2-Blu trade-in programs when they were available. I've reclaimed a few Universal titles when they've been priced $4.99 - $9.99 during sales at Amazon and Fry's. The only titles I haven't made a serious attempt at replacing have been my Paramount HD-DVDs. The only Paramount title I made the switch to Blu-ray so far has been Anchorman when the Best Buy exclusive came out.
Old 05-24-12, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sometime in 2010. I didn't take any media with me when I moved.
Old 05-24-12, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

It was probably about 6 months ago. We watched Hot Fuzz because that's still one of the titles I haven't switched to Blu-ray yet. I still have probably about 7 or 8 HD-DVDs that I haven't switched over.
Old 05-24-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not in a while. Probably The Thing around 6 months ago. I moved recently and don't have room right now to have everything set up.
Old 05-24-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj
I hooked up the 'ole player not too long ago to watch Brotherhood of the Wolf.
That film definitely deserves a R1 Blu-ray release.
It looks and sounds great in HD!
This was the title that made me decide to get the mod to make my Oppo BDP-83 region hackable.
Old 05-24-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple weeks ago. I ordered, and watched, Midnight Run.
Old 05-24-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I still watch them on a regular basis. The players and discs work great and the quality is just as good as Blu-ray.

It's a really cheap way to build a good HD collection with titles on eBay for a buck or two.
Old 05-25-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched "The Jerk" about two weeks ago... still hilarious
Old 05-25-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About two weeks ago, Pan's Labyrinth.
Old 05-25-12, 11:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

The Thing back in October iirc. Bought at least 30 cheap HD titles when the sky fell, but have only watched a few.

Traded a couple of them in at the last Best Buy trade-in-save actually.
Old 05-25-12, 05:35 PM

It was two years ago and the title was "Blazing Saddles". After we viewed that movie (which blew the DVD-equivalent away) the HD-DVD player was moved to the basement where it just serves as a DVD player at this point. The whole experience was very sad for me. Blu-ray has proven to be a good format, but the HD-DVD VC-1 encodes really *rocked* back then.
Old 05-25-12, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Last year about this time I finally watched my copy of Atonement (that I just had to have as soon as it streeted years earlier). Can honestly say I enjoyed the second viewing on HD DVD even more than the first at the theater. A few months later I picked up a copy on Blu-ray.

I really should use it more than I do, especially since I went to the trouble of picking up a spare after they threw in the towel. As it is now, I can't imagine ever getting desperate enough to watch an HD DVD title to ever put the frustratingly clunky A1 back in the rack- but I just can't bring myself to throw it away.
Old 05-26-12, 10:08 AM

Right now I'm watching American Me
Old 05-28-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Watched Aeon Flux, Mr. Bean's Holiday last month. I still have my XA2 connected but I'm down to watching about one title a month.
Old 05-28-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Troy in Dec of 2007 when I bought both an HD-DVD Toshiba player and the Sony PS3 on the same day. Got a bunch of free HD-DVDs and watched Troy and that's it. The unit has been sitting in my rack unused since then.
Old 05-28-12, 03:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Troy in Dec of 2007 when I bought both an HD-DVD Toshiba player and the Sony PS3 on the same day. Got a bunch of free HD-DVDs and watched Troy and that's it. The unit has been sitting in my rack unused since then.
I think you win this thread.
Old 05-28-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think you win this thread.
It was a pain because it had to connect to the internet every time and I would have to reset the settings everytime I turned it on. Since I only had 1 internet connection and hdmi input at the time plus all the other stuff the PS3 can do, the PS3 won out. Now that I have multiple inputs and ethernet connections, it just isnt worth hooking back up.

I even tried giving it to my ex to use in my son's room but it wouldnt play burned media (he is deaf and he gets a lot of school stuff on dvds made in his class to show us) which made the unit useless for even that and I ended up buying a cheapie $30 dvd player from Walmart.
Old 05-29-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

No HD-DVD players HAVE to connect to the internet. If you try to update the firmware on a player via its internet connection, it won't even find the server now. All the Universal discs I tried that have online features have been taken off-line too. The stuff for Warner's "Blood Diamond" disc is still up though, which is funny since a large number of those discs have rotted, I went through about 5 copies before getting one that would play. You can give the disc a rating so I gave it one star just for that. There's also a poll that gives you a choice of a few movies you want to see come out on HD-DVD.
Old 05-29-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're right, I should have said prompted to connect. I still had to reset the date and time every single time I turned the unit on. I couldnt just put in a disc and have it go right to the menu. It was more hassle than it was worth especially when I had another HD option that was much easier and user friendly.
Old 05-30-12, 02:15 AM

Yeah, it does make you set the date and time if you leave it unplugged for too long. Mine's always plugged in so I've just set it once and forgotten about it. Don't think any HD-DVDs actually used the clock for anything, but the Blu-Ray of Snow White says "Good Evening" or "Good Afternoon" depending on what time it is.
Old 07-28-12, 08:33 PM

Spinning "Mutiny on the Bounty" now; just finished "Land of the Dead".
Old 07-28-12, 08:44 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
No HD-DVD players HAVE to connect to the internet. If you try to update the firmware on a player via its internet connection, it won't even find the server now. All the Universal discs I tried that have online features have been taken off-line too. The stuff for Warner's "Blood Diamond" disc is still up though, which is funny since a large number of those discs have rotted, I went through about 5 copies before getting one that would play. You can give the disc a rating so I gave it one star just for that. There's also a poll that gives you a choice of a few movies you want to see come out on HD-DVD.
What player were you using? My Blood Diamond loaded up fine on my XA2 and BH200.
Old 07-28-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been stuck watching 'Hot Rod' on HD since I can't find a copy relatively cheap.

watched it 3 weeks ago. Great goof ball film.
Old 07-30-12, 03:50 PM

Watched Meet the Parents and Meet The Fockers with my girlfriend this weekend, followed by Little Fockers on Blu-Ray. Meet The Fockers looks awful- looks like edge-enhancement. Easily the worst-looking HD-DVD I've seen so far (excluding the screen-door-vision Warner transfers).

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 07-30-12 at 04:03 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.