Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Studio Ghibli in HD

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Studio Ghibli in HD

Old 04-19-12, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Studio Ghibli in HD

For Japan

Already available in Japan:
"Lupin The Third: Castle Of Cagliostro" (Remastered) (1979), "Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind" (1984) "Laputa: The Castle In The Sky" (1986) "My Neighbor Totoro" (1988) "Grave Of The Fireflies" (1988) "Kiki's Delivery Service" (1989) "Only Yesterday" (1991) "Porco Rosso" (1992) "Ocean Waves" (1993) "Pom Poko" (1994) "Whisper Of The Heart" (1995) "Princess Mononoke" (1997) "My Neighbors The Yamadas" (1999) "Spirited Away" (2001) "The Cat Returns" (2002) "Howl's Moving Castle" (2004) "Tales From Earthsea" (2006) "Ponyo" (2008) "The Secret World Of Arrietty" (2010) "The Secret World Of Arrietty" (English Version) (2010) "From Up On Poppy Hill" (2011) "The Wind Rises" (2013) "The Tale Of Princess Kaguya" (2013) "When Marnie Was There" (2014) Hayao Miyazaki Collection (13 Discs), Isao Takahata Collection (11 Discs)

All the Japanese releases are region free, have English subtitles for the main feature, and feature English dubs (except for the original edition of "Arrietty", "Grave Of The Fireflies", and "From Up On Poppy Hill", "Lupin"
None of the extras have English, and the releases are quite expensive.

Positive Points
-Best picture quality
-All have lossless Japanese audio
-Multiple Audio and Subtitle options for the main feature including English

Negative Points
-Expensive
-Extras have no subtitles
-Dub languages are not lossless audio tracks
-No DVD copy (if that's important)

Last edited by manicsounds; 07-22-15 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-19-12, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Studio Ghibli in HD

For the UK, from StudioCanal:

Available Now:
"Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind" (1984) "Laputa: The Castle In The Sky" (1986) "My Neighbour Totoro" (1988) "Grave Of The Fireflies" (1988) "Kiki's Delivery Service" (1989) "Porco Rosso" (1992) "Pom Poko" (1994) "Whisper Of The Heart" (1995) "Princess Mononoke" (1997) "My Neighbors The Yamadas" (1999) "Spirited Away" (2011) "The Cat Returns" (2002) "Howl's Moving Castle" (2004) "Tales From Earthsea" (2006) "Ponyo" (2008) "The Secret World Of Arrietty" (2010) "From Up On Poppy Hill" (2011) "The Wind Rises" (2013) "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" (2013)

UK discs are all Region B locked, all come with English subtitles and with English dubs (although "Arrietty" is a different dub from the Disney version)

Positive Points
-All have lossless audio, for Japanese, and for English dub tracks
-All extras are subtitled in English
-Includes extras from the Japanese releases plus the Disney releases combined
-"Ponyo" has more extras than the Japanese or US release
-Japanese language credit sequences for MOST releases
-"Castle" has both Japanese and English credit sequences
-Bonus DVD copy for MOST releases

Negative Points
-Region locked to B (for non-region free people)
-Titles have some Digital Noise Reduction applied to the picture
-Inconsistent spine numbers (for the OCD people)
-"Ponyo" has English language credit sequences only
-"Nausicaa" doesn't come with a DVD copy (if that's important)

Last edited by manicsounds; 07-22-15 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-19-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Disney US

Coming October 6th:
"When Marnie Was There" (2014)

Available now:
"Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind" (1984) "Laputa: The Castle In The Sky" (1986) "My Neighbor Totoro" (1988) "Grave Of The Fireflies" (1988) "Kiki's Delivery Service" (1989) "Porco Rosso" (1992) "Pom Poko" (1994) "Whisper Of The Heart" (1995) "Princess Mononoke" (1997) "Howl's Moving Castle" (2004) "Tales From Earthsea" (2006) "Ponyo" (2008) "The Secret World Of Arrietty" (2010) "From Up On Poppy Hill" (2011) "The Wind Rises" (2013) "The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya" (2013)

The US releases are region free (so far), with English subtitles, and have English dubs on all the releases ("Arrietty" will be the Disney US dub, different from the UK)

Positive Points
-Best picture quality (the same as the Japanese)
-DVD copy (if that's important)
-Lossless audio tracks in Japanese and English for MOST releases
-English subtitles for the extras
-Literal translation English subtitles for the Japanese tracks and English SDH for the dub tracks (except "Castle", "Kiki", "Mononoke", "Pom Poko")
-Original Japanese and English language credit sequences (so far)

Negative Points
-"Ponyo" has the Japanese track in lossy Dolby Digital
-"Castle In The Sky" "Kiki's Delivery Service", and "Princess Mononoke" have dubtitles, no literal subtitles (apparently)
-"Castle In The Sky" doesn't have the orchestral rescored soundtrack available on the UK and Japanese disc (apparently)
-Many extras from the Japanese releases are not ported over. "Nausicaa" audio commentary, Lengthy documentary for "Ponyo", The Interviews for "Arrietty", etc.

Want to voice a concern about "Castle In The Sky" "Kiki's Delivery Service"or "Princess Mononoke" to Disney?
Well, contact them and tell them that the English subtitle script is not a literal translation, and for "Castle In The Sky" the rescored soundtrack that was on the 2003 DVD is missing. See if they can get it rectified.

Last edited by manicsounds; 08-15-15 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Never heard of Poppy Hill have to check that out.

And we watched Totoro on DVD the other night and all automatic ads that came up were just obscene. I told my wife I would upgrade it to Blu just to get away from that.
Old 04-19-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Disney always have automatic ads at the start of the disc, DVD or Blu-ray. Just press menu to bypass them.
Old 04-19-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart are automatic buys for me. The latter is Ghibli's most underrated movie, IMO. Already have Ponyo and Nausicaa.

Now, just need a super deluxe HD Castle of Cagliostro.
Old 04-19-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart are automatic buys for me. The latter is Ghibli's most underrated movie, IMO. Already have Ponyo and Nausicaa.

There is a BD release of it in Japan, unfortunately without English options, and in 1080i interlaced transfer.
Old 04-19-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 460 Posts

I wish the Disney releases didn't give lossless priority to the English language dubs.
Old 04-19-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Disney always have automatic ads at the start of the disc, DVD or Blu-ray. Just press menu to bypass them.
I was pounding the menu button like mad but it wasn't doing anything. Thankfully I could skip through them but it was still ridiculous.
Old 04-19-12, 11:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

there's also:

From July 21 through September 10th, 2007, the Museum for Contemporary Art Tokyo held an exhibition honoring Oga Kazuo, the art director and background artist for many famed works from Japan's Studio Ghibli. Over 600 works from the artist were on display, and numerous fans flocked to the one-of-a-kind exhibition celebrating the lush, gorgeous background artwork typifying many a work from Miyazaki Hayao and other Ghibli filmmakers. International fans of Oga and Studio Ghibli have not been left out, however. The Oga Kazuo Exhibition: Ghibli No Eshokunin - The One Who Painted Totoro's Forest (Blu-ray + DVD) allows fans the opportunity to attend the exhibition, as well as watch interviews and testimonials with Oga's contemporaries and collaborators, all subtitled in English.

The set includes a Blu-ray disc and DVD, both sharing much of the same content, with the Blu-ray disc having the added benefit of true High-Definition presentation. Shared features between the two discs include: a slideshow of all 600 works on display at the exhibition; the 72-minute feature "Ghibli's Oga Kazuo, who painted Totoro's woods"; and a 40-minute featurette containing interviews with director Takahata Isao, art scholar Tsuji Nobuo, Ghibli art department head Tanaka Naoya, and art director Kobayashi Shichiro.

The DVD also contains a 20-minute feature detailing Oga Kazuo's creative process, as he paints the cover for a 2005 art book collecting his paintings. The same feature shows up on the Blu-ray disc, except extended to 35 minutes. The Blu-ray disc also includes an exclusive feature with Oga creating the cover painting for the Blu-ray disc release, shot and presented in HD to take full advantage of the next generation video format. For fans of both painted art and Ghibli Studios, the Oga Kazuo Exhibition represents an uncommon and fascinating glimpse into the mind of a master.

and

The newest addition to the Ghibli ga Ippai Collection in Japan is Ghibli's Bookshelf, a documentary that originally aired in August, 2010, on NHK's satellite network. The documentary discusses children's literature and their influence on Studio Ghibli, as well as Hayao Miyazaki's and Isao Takahata's careers, and even touches on the life of Mary Norton, author of "The Borrowers."

The Blu-Ray and DVD also includes a 40-minute interview with Hayao Miyazaki. A small book will be included in the First Edition run, "mini-library of 50 books boy Iwanami / Miyazaki Susumu election" (9 × 6.5cm, 136 pages).
Old 04-20-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My girlfriend is a massive Ghibli fan (alas, she's the one that got me into them). I'm heavily considering ordering My Neighbor Totoro for her, as it's possibly her favorite one other than Kiki. It's just damn pricey... I wish Disney would start releasing these much more often over here...
Old 04-20-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Whisper of the Heart was amazing. When I was first getting into Miyazaki/Ghibli, most of the other people posting seemed to brush it off, but I made it a point to pick up all the DVDs and when we watched this one we were just blown away.
Old 04-20-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts

No Kiki anywhere?
Old 04-20-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
No Kiki anywhere?
Some delivery service
Old 04-20-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Some delivery service
Still better than my local FedEx or UPS............
Old 04-20-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I wish the Disney releases didn't give lossless priority to the English language dubs.
They don't. They did for Ponyo, the first release, but then people told them to shape up and they did.
Old 04-21-12, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, they gave "Nausicaa" lossless 2.0 audio, but I don't know of any confirmation that these 3 new releases for next month will have lossless Japanese audio or not. So far, All the Japanese and UK releases have lossless original Japanese audio with English subtitle options.

Last edited by manicsounds; 04-23-12 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-22-12, 09:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Well, they gave "Nausicaa" lossless 2.0 audio, but I don't know of any confirmation that these 3 new releases for next month will have lossless Japanese audio or not. So far, All the Japanese, UK, and Hong Kong releases have lossless original Japanese audio with English subtitle options.
'Howl's 6.1 soundmix is on the Japanese and Hong Kong blurays and DVD's - the US Disney DVD does not have DTS-ES sound, will wait and see if it's true for the US blu - but I ain't holding my breath over it

Last edited by Giles; 04-22-12 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-23-12, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 164 Posts

Waiting for words when Spirted Away and Princess Mononoke be out in blu-ray.
Old 04-23-12, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
They don't. They did for Ponyo, the first release, but then people told them to shape up and they did.
Well that's good news. I thought that was par for the course with Disney given they did that to several live action films as well.
Old 04-23-12, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought that was par for the course with Disney given they did that to several live action films as well.
It is precisely par for the course, as it reflects their standard production template for foreign language releases. However, after (during, really) the release of Ponyo, a bunch of people complained at them about it and they indicated that they would stop with the standard template approach for Ghibli titles, going forward. Of course, it still remains to be seen if the follow-through will continue after Nausicaa, but I'm optimistic that the message got through.
Old 04-23-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Waiting for words when Spirted Away and Princess Mononoke be out in blu-ray.
I WANT PRINCESS MONONOKE!! *stomps foot*
Old 04-23-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
I WANT PRINCESS MONONOKE!! *stomps foot*
Does anyone know who actually holds the distribution rights to "Princess Mononoke" in the US? Is it Disney? Or someone else now that miramax has disbanded...
Old 04-23-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
It is precisely par for the course, as it reflects their standard production template for foreign language releases. However, after (during, really) the release of Ponyo, a bunch of people complained at them about it and they indicated that they would stop with the standard template approach for Ghibli titles, going forward. Of course, it still remains to be seen if the follow-through will continue after Nausicaa, but I'm optimistic that the message got through.
So other foreign releases will continue to be screwed?

Did they ever quietly reissue Ponyo or will I still need to import it in order to get it with lossless Japanese audio?

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-23-12 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So other foreign releases will continue to be screwed?
I have no idea.

Did they ever quietly reissue Ponyo or will I still need to import it in order to get it with lossless Japanese audio?
They haven't and I very much doubt they ever will.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.