HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 04-04-12, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those who will roll their eyes, yes it's a German release. But Fox should release this stateside around the same time. And it beats trying to hunt and pay $100 for this.

http://www.amazon.de/Avatar-3D-Blu-r...7XF&link_code=

Old 04-04-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Avatar 3D this year?

I'm surprised it took this long. Will this even sell well now?

I mean, I have no doubt it'll sell but I do doubt it'll generate the same amount of consumer interest had they released it a year or so ago.
Old 04-04-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would imagine there are lots more people with 3D TVs now than a year ago. And with the few number of 3D titles to choose from, I'd jump on it just to have something different and will probably be reference quality.
Old 04-04-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My main question is whether it will include the extended edition. The initial Panasonic exclusive release was Theatrical only.
Old 04-04-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those who didn't bother to follow the link, the listing says release date in December, but that may be a placeholder.
Old 04-04-12, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It'll be interesting to see how they release the extended version in 3D, simply because Cameron wanted to make sure the collector's edition was the final word so to speak. If the extended version comes out it probably won't have extras so it can go alongside that rather than a straight double-dip.

The only difference between the original release and the 3D Panasonic release in terms of content is the short Panasonic 3D logo that you see after the film.

Since I have a Blu-ray burner, I was curious about how the video structure on the disc was, and there are literally two separate video files on it for the film alone:

One is the full-length film with all the audio and subtitle tracks, around 35 GB or so, and the other is a second video-only file that was somewhere between 11 and 13 GB or so, don't remember offhand. I guess when 3D is selected in the menu, the playlist file included loads both videos simultaneously for playback, and when you choose 2D, it ignores that second video stream. Pretty neat stuff. There were separate video files for the film, the Panasonic logo and the Fox logo. I don't know which "eye" the separate streams are for, though. I don't even know if there's a default for that, like the separate video stream is always "right eye" or "left eye" or whatever the case is.
Old 04-04-12, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also revealed on Amazon's German site was...

http://www.amazon.de/Titanic-3D-Blu-...579783&sr=8-16

The cover art is similar to Avatar above, only spoiler-tagged for size:

Spoiler:
Old 04-04-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Martin View Post
It'll be interesting to see how they release the extended version in 3D, simply because Cameron wanted to make sure the collector's edition was the final word so to speak.
The Collector's Edition was the final word for 2D releases of the film.

I would be surprised they don't decide to release the Special Edition of the film in 3D as the materials already exist (it did see a 800+ theater release months prior to the super, duper Blu-ray release).

I'm just curious if the set will include all of the discs that made up the Collector's Edition alongside the Blu-ray 3D, DVD and digital copy or if it'll just consist of the initial bare-bones Blu-ray with the DVD and digital copy.
Old 04-04-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I rec'd my copy about three weeks ago from getting a Panasonic Blu-ray and have yet unsealed it. Seeing the post tells me it's time this weekend....

....and on the new TV as well; Panasonic GT30 55" plasma.
Old 04-11-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched mine, but was still able to get $100 for it on Amazon. I just wanted it sold, and it was sold either the same day or the day after I listed it.
Old 04-12-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I sold mine sealed for $120, it was only on Amazon for an hour before it sold. Glad I did it before the bottom fell out of the market.
Old 04-12-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No thanks, paid $9.99 for the SE BR. Turned on my 3D Conversion on my Samsung HDTV, looked great!

Maybe when the 3D ver price falls below $10.