Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Winged Migration - still worth owning?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an unopened Winged Migration blu-ray that I am questioning whether I should keep. I saw the film at the theater upon its release, but haven't seen it since. I liked it well enough on it's release.

With the rash of very high quality nature documentaries and mini-series, does Winged Migration still have a place on the shelf? Or do the bird sequences in Planet Earth, Life, etc. sufficiently fill the niche?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-25-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Winged Migration - still worth owning?

I have this on BD too. I upgraded from DVD.

Don't know how much you remember about the film (so I apologize if this is old news), but it's not really a documentary in the style of the BBC or National Geographic. It's more of a "let's appreciate the beauty of nature" type of film. The narration is fairly general and not very instructive about birds. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with that per se, but if your interest is strictly in the more educational type of film, you may find that it hasn't aged well.

I enjoy it for what it is. I love the BBC stuff too, of course. Apples and oranges.

If you're curious about the technical qualities of the disc, both the video and audio are very, very good.
Old 03-25-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Open it, watch it, decide for yourself. I don't think the re-sale value will change that much between a used and new here.
Old 03-26-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Another thing that differentiates Winged Migration from other nature documentaries is that the entire thing was staged. The birds were raised and trained to allow the filmmakers to fly close to them. The filmmakers also transported the birds to certain locations in order to create the most photogenic scenes.

So, Winged Migration isn't really a "documentary" at all. I'm not saying this to pass judgment. It is what it is, and what they did allowed for an up-close look at the birds in flight that you probably won't see in real documentaries.