Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - 6/12/12

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - 6/12/12

Old 06-12-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - 6/12/12

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think I'll go with the standard Blu-ray version for $12.99, paying $10 more for a few extras doesn't seem worth it. I won't watch the features more than once anyways and the movie is the main thing that's important to me.
That's true... $10 more for a few extras probably isn't worth it. However, I'm going to adopt a different plan as I'd like the extras. Since I'm so overloaded with movies to watch, I'm in no hurry to see this. I plan to wait until the combo pack is on sale for $12.99 or less so that I get all of the extras.

I truly hate it when BD + DVD combo packs have more extras on the BD than the standalone BD. I looked at various reviews and this very important detail (only mentioned in this thread AFAIK) is not mentioned anywhere since all of the reviews review the combo pack.

I don't suppose I've missed a master thread on DVD Talk such as "The Official Master Thread of Extras Missing from Various Blu-Ray Editions" where I could look up this type of info? Typically I'd assume the standalone BD is identical to the BD inside the BD + DVD combo pack. I know Prince of Persia was different like SH:GOS. I guess I'll always have to ask first.
Old 06-13-12, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't a fan of this one, but I picked up the Future Shop Steelbook and watched the Maximum Movie Mode. It was rather short, but Downey Jr. was great in it and I had more fun with that than I did the actual film (to be fair, I nearly fell asleep in the theatre, so I may grow to like it more when I get around to watching it on blu-ray).

Watched the rest of the features and a few minutes of the movie - great quality disc overall.
Old 06-13-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Can anyone actually confirm which extras are or are not on the single-disc release? The packaging has a sticker advertising the Maximum Movie Mode, so it's sort of hard to really ascertain what will or won't be in it. If it's truly bare bones, then I don't want the single disc, but if it's more or less the same as the Combo package (minus a DVD I don't really need), then that's the version I want.
Old 06-13-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
I don't suppose I've missed a master thread on DVD Talk such as "The Official Master Thread of Extras Missing from Various Blu-Ray Editions" where I could look up this type of info? Typically I'd assume the standalone BD is identical to the BD inside the BD + DVD combo pack. I know Prince of Persia was different like SH:GOS. I guess I'll always have to ask first.
Well, there is Definitive List of Blu-Rays without all SD extras (II), but sounds like it's not quite what you're looking for.
Old 06-13-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Decker
Can anyone actually confirm which extras are or are not on the single-disc release? The packaging has a sticker advertising the Maximum Movie Mode, so it's sort of hard to really ascertain what will or won't be in it. If it's truly bare bones, then I don't want the single disc, but if it's more or less the same as the Combo package (minus a DVD I don't really need), then that's the version I want.
I think I've typed this twice, but I'll do it again. The BD only version has 3 featurettes, the UV digital copy, and nothing else. The sticker mentioning the interactive feature is wrong. It is ONLY on the COMBO PACK.

Someone on blu-ray.com had posted a picture of the back cover of the BD only version and it showed 3 featurettes.

Old 06-13-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think I've typed this twice, but I'll do it again. The BD only version has 3 featurettes, the UV digital copy, and nothing else. The sticker mentioning the interactive feature is wrong. It is ONLY on the COMBO PACK.

Someone on blu-ray.com had posted a picture of the back cover of the BD only version and it showed 3 featurettes.
I saw the back of the Blu-only version, but that sticker is on every Blu Ray copy of the movie (at least every copy I've seen so far). If that's a mistake, it's a pretty huge one.

I can read the cover and the sticker. Since there are no actual reviews of the Blu only version, I asked if someone here could actually confirm whether the front or the back of the case is correct.
Old 06-13-12, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

I also went into Best Buy today and saw every single copy of the BD only version having the Max Movie Mode sticker on it when it wasn't listed in the back.

As I said before, I liked the movie alot when I rented it a few weeks ago, but I'm in no hurry to own it. I'll wait until the DVD/BD combo with the half assed Max Movie Mode gets reduced to under $15.
Old 06-28-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Buy's ad for this Sunday has the combo pack listed for $14.99.
Old 06-28-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk God

$14.99 is actually not bad. I think I might pick it up.
Old 07-03-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Best Buy's ad for this Sunday has the combo pack listed for $14.99.
Amazon has matched the price for the combo pack.
Old 07-03-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bought the movie only version for $14.99, happy with that.

Very few movies do I need to pay $10 more for extras: LotRs, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Aliens, Harry Potter...the list gets smaller fast.

If All BRs were $14.99, it would help my wallet big time.
Old 07-03-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Bought the combo pack yesterday $14.99 minus a $5 RZ coupon that I had. $10.86 out the door.

Started watching a little of the Maximum Movie Mode with Downey. From the 15 or so minutes that I saw, it seemed pretty cool. Kind of an intermittent commentary track with him on camera and some behind the scenes footage playing behind him.