Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Planet of the Apes: Evolution Collection (FoxConnect Exclusive with all 7 movies)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Planet of the Apes: Evolution Collection (FoxConnect Exclusive with all 7 movies)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the first time ever, the Planet of the Apes mythology comes full circle in this highly evolved collection — filled with spectacular action, mind-blowing twists and gripping suspense. From the classic landmark movie and its four intriguing sequels to Tim Burton’s visionary take on the original masterpiece to the all-new 2011 origin film, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the EVOLUTION COLLECTION delivers nonstop thrills for all humankind!

Disc 1: Planet of the Apes (1968)
Disc 2: Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Disc 3: Escape From the Planet of the Apes
Disc 4: Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
Disc 5: Battle For the Planet of the Apes
Disc 6: Planet of the Apes (2001)
Disc 7: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Also includes 7 character cards – one from each film!

Audio: English: 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French: 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish: 5.1 Dolby Digital
Language: Subtitles: English, Spanish
Theatrical Aspect Ratio: Widescreen: 2.35:1

On sale for $90.99
List Price: $139.99 (Save 35%)
Old 12-29-11, 03:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Planet of the Apes: Evolution Collection (FoxConnect Exclusive with all 7 movies)

Umm.....no. I'll take the collection with the book any day over this one.
Old 12-29-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: Planet of the Apes: Evolution Collection (FoxConnect Exclusive with all 7 movies)

I take it this doesn't include the TV show or animated series? That would make me bite when it gets cheap enough. Otherwise, I'm good with the old set.
Old 12-29-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Nice, but I think I'll still have more luck finding the single Blu's used (I only need four of them).
Old 12-29-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It includes the remake? Eww...
Old 12-29-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Tim Burton’s visionary take on the original masterpiece
Old 12-29-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No thanks. I got the book version (and Rise)for Xmas, and it thankfully wasn't tainted by Burton's turd.
Old 01-01-12, 02:33 AM

This box set will not age very well IMO, since Rise is the first of a trilogy.
Old 01-01-12, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I take it this doesn't include the TV show or animated series? That would make me bite when it gets cheap enough. Otherwise, I'm good with the old set.
No, only the Ape Head DVD Set has those (or some).
Old 01-01-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No, only the Ape Head DVD Set has those (or some).
Ape head had it all.

I have it and am fine with keeping it until there's an equivalent on blu-ray.
Old 01-01-12, 12:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

TV show and Animated were not all that great IMO.
Old 01-02-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm also hesitant to buy knowing we're getting at least one sequel to the new movie.

Maybe this will help push some more copies of the single releases onto the used market. I got some nice Groupon coupons for the local used DVD stores.
Old 01-02-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Ape head had it all.
Not quite. It didn't have the restored/remastered versions of all the animated episodes (they could only restore like 3 of them in time for the release) nor did the animated episodes have the "next episode" teasers. The individual release that came a few months later was fully-restored and included those teasers.

I'm assuming this one doesn't have either TV series because this only rounds up existing Blu-ray discs in new packaging and both TV shows are DVD-only so far.

The 5-disc Blu-ray set plus the Burton film plus the new film plus the individual releases of both TV series is the way to go. If you really wanna be obsessively-complete you'll track down the 2-disc DVD edition of the Burton film for the extras (which were in the Ape head release) and the individual Image release of "Behind the Planet of the Apes" for the full Roddy McDowall interview and the alternate "Beneath" trailer (neither of which were in the Ape head box).
Old 01-02-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
If you really wanna be obsessively-complete you'll track down the 2-disc DVD edition of the Burton film for the extras .
Glad I'm reading this, I didn't realize the Blu of the Burton film didn't port over all the extras. I've been meaning to move all my Apes movies over to Blu and (despite it's problems), I'd still like to have all the extras for this film.
Old 01-02-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Glad I'm reading this, I didn't realize the Blu of the Burton film didn't port over all the extras. I've been meaning to move all my Apes movies over to Blu and (despite it's problems), I'd still like to have all the extras for this film.
A lot of the early Fox DVD's didn't port over the DVD extras. ID4, Speed, Cast Away, the first Predator release, just a few that come to mind.
Old 01-05-12, 03:46 PM

Hi there, this looks like a great forum.

I'm a fan of the Planet of the Apes film franchise and own the DVD box set which contains the 'original movies', I also own the Mark Wahlberg film. I'm keen on the new Rise movie, really enjoyed it at the cinema, should I just buy the new DVD or this Evolution set? I'm curious to know if this set has any extra features that the previous releases didn't have or if the quality is better. Thanks guys.
Old 01-05-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Eden
Hi there, this looks like a great forum.

I'm a fan of the Planet of the Apes film franchise and own the DVD box set which contains the 'original movies', I also own the Mark Wahlberg film. I'm keen on the new Rise movie, really enjoyed it at the cinema, should I just buy the new DVD or this Evolution set? I'm curious to know if this set has any extra features that the previous releases didn't have or if the quality is better. Thanks guys.
Well, this set being discussed is the Blu-ray set, not the DVD. You will obviously get much better AV quality with a Blu-ray. If you choose Blu-ray, you could go with this set or price how much it would be to buy the previous set and the newer movies separately.
Old 01-05-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And as noted, there is at least one sequel being made to Rise of..., so this box is pretty much already obsolete.
Old 01-06-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gawd... I just watched 'Rise' yesterday... what a great prequel. Can't wait for the sequel... of the prequel.

As for this box... it's like buying a Harry Potter 1-6 box.
Old 02-16-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of weeks ago i bought the 40th Anniversary book set. Was a fantatic looker, but the majority of the discs were scratched. Got a replacement... same thing. So, forget it. I sent it back for a refund.

Saw this on the FoxConnect website and bit. Im glad I did. All seven films in a small box and better yet, the discs are on plastic hubs now and not rubbing on cardboard.