Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

goddamnit i was hoping criterion would get their hands on LENNY
Old 10-05-14, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most definitely in for Fright Night and Zardoz!
Old 10-06-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Hooray for ZARDOZ! One of the quirkiest and coolest films I've had the pleasure of watching. And some vintage Connelly in a crazy role!
Old 10-06-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Hooray for ZARDOZ! One of the quirkiest and coolest films I've had the pleasure of watching. And some vintage Connelly in a crazy role!
Connelly or Connery?
Old 10-06-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

If someone is buying Zardoz to see a scantily clad Jennifer Connelly they are in for a rude awakening.
Old 10-06-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Slips of the tongue -- Freudian ones at that -- get you every time...

Good ol' Sean back in '73 wearing a crazy costume and spouting some wonderfully purple dialogue in ZARDOZ still almost wins over a scantly clad Jennifer Connelly... But, I digress.
Old 11-12-14, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

FROM SAE's News Feed:

Special offer from TWILIGHT TIME - A limited signed edition of CHE! - signed by composer Lalo Schifrin - available to those customers who spend $100, before shipping, on other TWILIGHT TIME product. You must add the signed edition to your cart and check out successfully with an order confirmation number to qualify. There will be a page just like the other titles to be added to your cart located on the homepage within the TWILIGHT TIME new releases box. This is a first come first serve offer. There are no new pre-orders at this time. This will go live today Wednesday, November 12th 4 P.M. Eastern.(Today)

This is A free signed copy of CHE blu-ray.You need to buy either four $30 tittles or
three $35 tittles.Kind of nice if you were planing on buying some TT releases,brings
the cost down to around $25.50 A movie.Still kind of high,but better then $30+.

Next week La Bamba signed (by Lou Diamond Phillips) will be available with the December pre-orders.
Old 12-10-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Surprised these haven't been posted yet. They announced them a few days ago. I am really pumped for The Bounty. What sucks is I actually bought a dvd copy just a couple of months ago but I had given up on it coming to BD.

March/April:

THE BOUNTY (1984) BLU-RAY - March 10th
SOLOMON AND SHEBA (1959) BLU-RAY - March 10th
THE FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (1964) BLU-RAY - March 10th
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959) BLU-RAY - March 10th (New 4k Restoration)
U TURN (1997) BLU-RAY - March 10th
THE STORY OF ADELE H (1975) BLU-RAY - April 14th
THE FANTASTICKS (1995) BLU-RAY - April 14th
APRIL LOVE (1957) BLU-RAY - April 14th
THE REMAINS OF THE DAY (1993) BLU-RAY - April 14th
RICHARD III (1995) BLU-RAY - April 14th
Old 12-10-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

DECEMBER 9th - NOTICE: The new TWILIGHT TIME releases will be delayed. There was a delay at the manufacturing plant. The titles should arrive by early next week. New from TWILIGHT TIME available for PRE-ORDER - YENTL (1983) BLU RAY - FUNNY LADY (1975) BLU RAY - INHERIT THE WIND (1960) BLU RAY - HEAVEN AND EARTH (1993) (Please Note: this film will only be available in REGION A) BLU RAY- THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE (1968) BLU RAY - THE FORTUNE (1975) BLU RAY.
Old 12-11-14, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I am all over this one!
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
RICHARD III (1995) BLU-RAY - April 14th
Old 01-16-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

I guess I've been completely ignorant about these releases. Can someone school me on these releases? Are all these Twilight Time releases limited to 3,000 copies? Why is that? Some of these are little known cult films, but some seem to be quite popular titles and you know they could sell more copies. I don't really understand the business model with the exception of the undeniable fact that the extreme scarcity makes it much more likely that people would bite the bullet and pay the full $29.99 MSRP for a catalog title.

Are they only sold on that SAE website? I know the Blu Ray reviews here link to Amazon but the discs are never in stock there I went ahead and ordered Yentl (maybe the best film ever made about traditional Judaism) and Breaking Away (the second best film about Indiana). I'd imagine that just between Jewish and Hoosier Blu Ray collectors these would be gone pretty soon, so I went ahead and paid those hefty prices here.
Old 01-17-15, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I guess I've been completely ignorant about these releases. Can someone school me on these releases? Are all these Twilight Time releases limited to 3,000 copies? Why is that?
Supposedly Sony licenses these films to Twilight Time with the agreement that only 3000 (or in some cases 5000) will be pressed.

Are they only sold on that SAE website?
Twilight Time releases are sold on the SAE website primarily but they are also available from TCM Store and sometimes Amazon.com provided the release dosen't sell out quickly. Regardless it's rare the price drops below $29.99.
Old 01-17-15, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

The 3000 figure was arrived at based on their previous experience with limited editions of movie soundtracks. That seemed to be the 'sweet spot'.
The reason they are limited in the first place is to motivate people to actually buy them, instead of endlessly putting them off waiting for a price drop. There's just more urgency when something is limited.
And based on the ratio of sell outs to titles that have hundreds of copies left years after their release, 3000 is generally a very optimistic number on their part.

Also something you may not be aware of- periodically (once every month or so) they will have a promo offering 100 copies of a title autographed by someone associated with the film. The autographed copy is a freebie if you spend (now) $149.75 on any of their other titles. That comes out to basically 5 titles. It can be a nice deal if there are 5 other titles you are interested in. That's one reason I tend to not order one or two titles at a time, but wait to place an order with three or more. The other reason is the shipping costs average out lower and you are more likely to get them shipped in a box rather than just a bubble wrap mailer.
Old 01-17-15, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I guess I've been completely ignorant about these releases. Can someone school me on these releases? Are all these Twilight Time releases limited to 3,000 copies? Why is that?
In at least one interview with Nick Redman, he doesn't argue the point about the limit being self-imposed. I'm not sure if 3,000 is a contractual obligation that Twilight Time chose, if they can release as many as they want but are limiting to 3,000 as part of their business model, or if the answer varies by studio. (It could be that Twilight Time decided on 3,000 but that it's still worked into one or more of the licensing deals.) They've said in the past that 3,000 was the magic number that worked for their limited edition soundtrack releases.

To me, putting a limit on these titles is good business. Many healthy companies have come a cropper by over-pressing titles that have not sold. I guess it must be incredibly tough to call which of the titles will sell out quickly but in the case of a title like CHRISTINE (it sold out the night it was made available for pre-order – a month before release) there would have been people who missed the boat if they’d forgotten the pre-order date or thought they’d still get one a few days after. As the company’s custom-base increases have you thought about the possibility of taking certain titles above your self-imposed limit of 3000?

The 3000 unit number is mostly dead-on for the vast majority of catalogue titles, and many will struggle to sell that amount over a three-year period. We thought carefully about that number and it is solidly based on studio market research despite what the naysayers think about how many hundreds of thousands would sell if only the studio put it out at a $5 price-point yada-yada-yada. The reality is blindingly obvious — if the studios thought that, believe me they would be doing it! But no, they aren’t and they won’t be in future. You will start to see more limited editions coming from other labels (it’s already started), and this is not rocket-science. It’s simple mathematics, limited pressings, short-term licenses, benefit the labels, the studios, and the consumers who actually have discernment about what they purchase. We were the first because I’ve been doing limited edition soundtrack albums for the studios these past two decades…it is merely logical, that as the majors back away, boutiques move in with low-overhead and stream-lined business models…it is a long-term benefit as soundtrack fans have realized…blu-ray collectors just ha e to accept their hobby isn’t mass-market…it’s niche…and there’s nothing wrong with that. They will just have to adjust their habits accordingly.

The aforementioned CHRISTINE and other titles such as FRIGHT NIGHT and THE FURY all sold out soon after release, have you had to reevaluate the types of films that you go after in order to continue selling through quickly? Seems that the horror titles are the quickest to sell out but I guess you don’t want to pigeonhole yourselves by releasing too much of it, right?

When CHRISTINE sold out in a day it surprised everyone, and it is not helpful to have a one-day sell-out…and to that end we have imposed buying limitations on all titles going forward that look like they might be very popular. In reality though, it’s only the genre titles that have this effect on buyers, the vast majority of the releases are available for a period more than sufficient for people to buy them…(for example, our two new SINBAD releases.) And as to whether we release more horror films is an unknown quantity…we don’t particularly pursue them, and we certainly wouldn’t want to focus on them…if one or two crop up like the forthcoming release of THE BLOB (1988) next fall, then we’ll treat them just like we do any other title.
Are they only sold on that SAE website?
Resellers -- and sometimes Screen Archives themselves -- list them on Amazon. It's hit or miss. I actually have gotten a couple from Amazon via Screen Archives.

Some of these are little known cult films, but some seem to be quite popular titles and you know they could sell more copies.
Selling more copies doesn't necessarily mean they'd make any more money, though. Their model isn't nearly as consumer-friendly as, say, Olive Films, who quasi-carpet-bomb at fairly reasonable prices, but even if it doesn't play as nicely for me, it makes a lot of sense.

There are a few things built into Twilight Time's model:

1) By selling everything directly-ish, that reduces the number of middlemen they have to pay. They keep a whole bunch of that $29.95 pie.

2) Like you said, scarcity is part of their marketing and a good way to control costs. It's mostly only their genre releases that people go nuts over, but those selling out so quickly ultimately helps move less desirable titles since those interested may be inspired to buy early. The worst thing for movies like this is people thinking "oh, I'll get that later" or "I'll wait for a price drop" since they'll likely wind up losing interest altogether.

3) In general, their marketing costs are near zero. They don't have to work on in-store promotions, pay for placement, negotiate with B&M or online retailers, advertise at all, etc. They don't have to do anything more than email press releases or send out newsletters to their subscribers.

4) Much like Scream Factory, they've established themselves as a brand to the people who pay attention to this sort of thing.

5) They don't really produce any new extras (aside from liner notes and relatively cheap commentaries), which is more money in their pocket.

6) Their costs are controlled enough to know exactly where they need to land to make a profit. The studios basically provide everything.

7) Studios like it because they basically have to do nothing, and the payment structure is more appealing than what companies like Echo Bridge do.

8) Anymore, moving 3,000 copies is pretty terrific for a catalog title. Catalog sales are basically dead. Being a marquee title doesn't necessarily mean anything either. As Good As It Gets raked in right at $150 million at the U.S. box office (~$221 million, adjusted for inflation), but in more than two and a half years, Twilight Time still hasn't sold its 3,000 copies yet. (They're getting there -- around 150 copies left -- but still...)
Old 01-17-15, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

One thing I'll add is that Twilight Time pays all of the costs for licensing and royalties up front. In other words, for the studios, licensing these titles to Twilight Time (vs. another studio) is cash in hand. There's no risk on the part of the studio if a title doesn't sell. The financial burden is squarely on Twilight Time. All the studios do is supply the film and collect the money.
Old 01-17-15, 12:21 PM

Thanks for all the insightful, informative responses. If not for the featured Blu Ray reviews here I doubt I'd ever know about these releases.

One more question : Are these new HD transfers? In other words if there's a movie they release that I'm only mildly interested in and if it doesn't have many/any extras (like The Fortune for example), is the experience of owning an HD digital copy on Amazon Instant Video pretty much comparable to the Twilight Time Blu Ray (for non-collectors)?
Old 01-17-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Are these new HD transfers?
It's whatever the studio forks over, which sometimes is brand-new and sometimes creakingly ancient. Their BDs of Titus and Sexy Beast -- both with transfers dating back to 2000 (no exaggeration) -- are embarrassing instances of the latter.

Sony-sourced titles generally look fantastic, while their Fox titles are all over the place. There's certainly more good than bad, though.
Old 01-17-15, 01:39 PM

So it's safe to assume they look identical to the Video On Demand versions?
Old 01-17-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

That should generally be the case, but some movies do have multiple HD transfers. Breakfast at Tiffany's on Netflix in HD looks completely different from Paramount's BD. The Egyptian was on its third HD master when Twilight Time licensed it, and I'm not sure any of them had ever seen the light of day before that! I seem to remember that the BD of the Night of the Living Dead remake had different color timing than what one of the HD streaming services offered. Can't remember if it was a different transfer altogether.
Old 01-17-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Don't know if it's on every title, but because of their history with the collector's market of soundtrack cds, TT gives you an isolated score track. It's like getting the BD and the soundtrack cd both.
Old 01-18-15, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the insightful, informative responses. If not for the featured Blu Ray reviews here I doubt I'd ever know about these releases.

One more question : Are these new HD transfers? In other words if there's a movie they release that I'm only mildly interested in and if it doesn't have many/any extras (like The Fortune for example), is the experience of owning an HD digital copy on Amazon Instant Video pretty much comparable to the Twilight Time Blu Ray (for non-collectors)?
All the Sony titles are form 4k remasters, the ones from other studios are hit and miss as AT points out.
Old 01-28-15, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Just looking at the special features on the new listing for TO SIR WITH LOVE. Quite a selection. I don't recall much in the way of supplements on previous DVD editions (maybe overseas?), so are these all (or mostly) new?

- - - - - -

Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Audio Commentary with Actress Judy Geeson, and Film Historians Nick Redman and Julie Kirgo / Audio Commentary with Author E.R. Braithwaite and Author/Teacher Salome Thomas El / E.R. Braithwaite: In His Own Words / Lulu and the B-Side / Miniskirts, Blue Jeans and Pop Music / To Sidney with Love / Principal El: He Chose to Stay / Original Theatrical Trailer

- - - - - -

Thoughts?
Old 02-02-15, 11:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..is that one where sean connery ran around in a diaper?
Old 02-02-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by AMERICAN
..is that one where sean connery ran around in a diaper?
Zardoz is, yes.
Old 02-02-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wonder if they'll do Ferarra's Body Snatchers? Who does own that? MGM?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.