Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Alfred Hitchcock on Blu-ray & UHD Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Alfred Hitchcock on Blu-ray & UHD Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-12, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Official Alfred Hitchcock on Blu-ray & UHD Thread

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The limited edition was 100 pounds on the product page, but only 86 pounds when I checked out. Am I missing something (will the difference be added later?).
They remove their taxes (the VAT) for international orders.
Old 10-26-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

The limited edition was 100 pounds on the product page, but only 86 pounds when I checked out. Am I missing something (will the difference be added later?).
The prices on the Amazon UK site include VAT. Since you're not a UK resident, you don't have to pay that tax. It gets automatically deducted at checkout when you ship to an address outside the UK.
Old 10-26-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The prices on the Amazon UK site include VAT. Since you're not a UK resident, you don't have to pay that tax. It gets automatically deducted at checkout when you ship to an address outside the UK.
Ahh...got it. Thanks LPMA & Josh. Decided to preorder when I saw that set was available again...the lower price and extras in the box make it worth the trouble...I might have bit the bullet on the old set just to get it earlier, but this one is worth the wait (later in November). Now I can get the Digibook version of North By Northwest as well.
Old 10-26-12, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At some point I'll get NXNW (digibook) it just is too high in the price for me to bite on it. I hate myself for never noticing that it was $13.99 in January.
Old 10-26-12, 03:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
At some point I'll get NXNW (digibook) it just is too high in the price for me to bite on it. I hate myself for never noticing that it was $13.99 in January.
I'm hoping it'll get in that rice range again over the holidays. If I can get it for around that price, it'll make the purchase of the UK limited edition set all the better. Already a great price for $139.
Old 10-26-12, 03:30 PM
Banned

Indeed. Ain't no way in hell NXNW is worth over $30 to have in the US set. Fuck that. I'll gladly have NXNW seperate for the rest if it means I saved over $50 to not have it in there...and THEN get some fancier stuff w/ it too.
Old 10-26-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they took NXNW out so it weighs less now
Old 10-28-12, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just got this notification today on the standard UK set Estimated arrival date: November 19 2012 - November 23 2012
Old 10-28-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
they took NXNW out so it weighs less now
Old 10-29-12, 01:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anybody heard confirmation of if the UK version of this set also has the audio dropouts in Rope?

I wonder if Universal is going to do a replacement disc for this?

That is one of my top 3 favorite Hitchcock films and the fact that it happens during dialogue is kind of unacceptable.
Old 10-29-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlers
Has anybody heard confirmation of if the UK version of this set also has the audio dropouts in Rope?
No confirmation, but I can pretty much guarantee the UK discs are identical in content to the US discs, other than the labels on them.
Old 10-29-12, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by wahlers

I wonder if Universal is going to do a replacement disc for this?

That is one of my top 3 favorite Hitchcock films and the fact that it happens during dialogue is kind of unacceptable.
What's this about audio dropouts? DVDBeaver has no mention of this and I don't recall the inital review of the set bringing it up either.
Old 10-29-12, 02:41 PM
Banned

Yeah...what's the source on that info? Never heard of it till now.
Old 10-29-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

Here:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7983...iece_rope.html

The Audio: Rating the Sound

This is where we find a few technical problems. I reported on the main hub page that 'Rope' has an audio dropout in the first five minutes of the movie. Upon closer inspection there are three audio dropouts. Truthfully, I don't think they're full dropouts. Instead they are three distinct times where the audio drops to an inaudible volume. If you turn on the subtitles it will confirm that dialogue is supposed to be spoken at these times, yet it isn't.

The first dropout of dialogue happens at 03:24 where the words "We've got," spoken by Brandon, are inaudible. The second instance happens shortly after at 03:56 where the words "Phillip we don't," also spoken by Brandon, are lost to extremely low volume. This one also has an added effect that the dialogue seems like it's trying to catch up to the lips directly after the dropout, creating a very unusual few seconds. The third time this happens is at 07:44 where another piece of dialogue from Brandon where he starts a sentence with and unintelligible "Phillip" before continuing on with the rest of what he was saying. During this time the sound seems rather low all around. It isn't until after the third supposed dropout of dialogue where the audio finally picks up to a nice, strong volume. Almost like the first eight minutes of the movie were recorded completely different than the rest of the movie.

After that the audio picks up nicely. Dialogue is strong and clear the rest of the movie. There are no hisses or crackling underneath. Sound effects like the notes coming from a piano or the bang produced from a gun, are reproduced with nice accuracy and clarity. There are times where more than one conversation is going on and not only can you hear the main conversation that you're supposed to be paying attention to, but you can also here the ancillary chattering. Just like what would happen at a regular party.

Even though the problems clear up later on in the movie, moving the DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono track to a much more acceptable status, it's hard to overlook the glaring errors in the first few minutes.
Old 10-29-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Well shit. Don't know if I want to deal with trying to get a replacement disc for an import. At this point I feel like just waiting for singles of the ones I do want.
Old 10-29-12, 05:04 PM
Banned

hrmm. Yeah. Well...if we need replacements..we don't get charged from that...exactly...right? I mean...how would this work out? Gimme a scenario.
Old 10-29-12, 05:33 PM
Banned by request

Considering nothing has shipped yet, there is still an opportunity to correct this by delaying the release date.
Old 10-29-12, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,890 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Considering nothing has shipped yet, there is still an opportunity to correct this by delaying the release date.
Mine shipped from Amazon. The official street date is 3 hours and change from now.
Old 10-29-12, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Mine shipped from Amazon. The official street date is 3 hours and change from now.
Mine shipped from Wal-Mart Canada too.
Old 10-29-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 900 Likes on 724 Posts

More problems in this set? Can't they get it right? For $150+ expecting clear audio and a non-DNR'd picture is not asking too much.
Old 10-29-12, 09:32 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I was referring to the UK sets.
Old 10-30-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If people are getting the UK version, are they paying the $10 more to get the limited edition? I haven't seen any great pictures of that collection yet.
Old 10-30-12, 10:41 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
If people are getting the UK version, are they paying the $10 more to get the limited edition? I haven't seen any great pictures of that collection yet.
The standard UK set is 92.50 GBP and the limited edition is 100 GBP. This is what the limited edition looks like.

Spoiler:
Old 10-30-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
The standard UK set is 92.50 GBP and the limited edition is 100 GBP. This is what the limited edition looks like.

Spoiler:
Are most people going limited? I've seen that photo, was hoping some more "real" photos had surfaced, but I guess it isn't out yet. Trying to make up my mind. Not sure about that packaging and how I'd display it...haha.
Old 10-30-12, 11:00 AM
Banned by request

Blu-ray.com review of the US set.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alfred.../45102/#Review

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.