Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

these people are obsessed with slipcovers

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

these people are obsessed with slipcovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: these people are obsessed with slipcovers

Funny how they have that "Post your slipcover hauls!" thread and some of the pictures have them with price tags- love how the eye on that Planet of the Apes is covered up. Slipcovers with no shrinkwrap are the bane of my existence- I don't buy them if the store sticks anything on them!

I don't believe in throwing away ANYTHING that is part of any media I buy- that's part of the joys of collecting. I still have all my CD longboxes from when those were the norm. Since the later boxes weren't re-closable, I keep them stacked up on a shelf in my closet.
Old 12-14-11, 11:50 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
Yes every post on the forum there leads into a slipcover discussion, people buy movies based on if there is a slipcover or not. whatever.
Wrong every discussion does not lead to people buying a movie based on if the said movie has a slipcover or not. I buy movies with and without slipcovers. If there is a movie I like and it doesn't have a slip then I will buy it regardless. Wow, shocker isn't it?
I just bought "The Rocketeer" and you know what? There was no slipcover. Most people will ask if it has a slip or not, wanting to know because it's an added bonus for the collector.

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
Slipcovers seem like a waste to me. In a world where we all try to be more eco-friendly (or at least pretend to be), what's the point of these slipcovers? I would think that the material used to make them could be put to better use.
Slipcovers may seem like a waste to you but are they any different from comicbooks or baseball cards which are also made of paper? Just because slipcovers aren't "worth" the same amount of money as mentioned items and made out of paper that in turn makes them a waste? I'm all for taking care of the planet and being a good steward but don't try to make it sound like slipcovers are evil and will kill the earth. Most companies that make slipcovers use recycled materiel to make them anyway. And if you are so concerned about the earth are you recycling all your paper inserts and putting your blu/dvd's into binders and recycling the blu ray cases? Like you said, you may see them as a waste but as I asked. Do you see comic books, baseball cards, and or books which are made out of paper and collected a waste as well? And should those people be hated and their items deemed bad too?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Funny how they have that "Post your slipcover hauls!" thread and some of the pictures have them with price tags- love how the eye on that Planet of the Apes is covered up. Slipcovers with no shrinkwrap are the bane of my existence- I don't buy them if the store sticks anything on them!

I don't believe in throwing away ANYTHING that is part of any media I buy- that's part of the joys of collecting. I still have all my CD longboxes from when those were the norm. Since the later boxes weren't re-closable, I keep them stacked up on a shelf in my closet.
The post your slipcover haul thread is to show off what you bought recently with a slipcover. Most of those stickers are taken off after the pictured is posted. Just a little fyi in case you thought people keep them on there. And if they are a "price sticker" why in the world would a collector keep that on there.

And you know that the stickers can easily be remove with Goo Gone or lighter fluid?

Last edited by neoz; 12-14-11 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 12:19 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Slipcovers are nice but not a requirement. I'll take them if the release has them but I won't lose any sleep if it doesn't. That said, if it does have a slipcover, my OCD demands I get the most pristine one in the store. I'm sure I must get bizarre looks at Best Buy or Wal-Mart as I meticulously inspect each slipcover until I find one that is in good enough condition for me to accept.
This describes me to a T...I'm the exact same way. I always grab a stack of whatever title I'm looking at and find the best one (I also have to make sure the spine of the insert is lined up correctly...especially on titles with no slipcover). I don't mind at all if something is released without a slipcover (I'd probably prefer that companies do away with slipcovers completely) but if a release has a slipcover then I have to have it...it bugs me when I have something in my collection that originally came with a slipcover but doesn't have one anymore by the time I'm able to buy it (unfortunately more than a few of my Black Friday purchases this year).
Old 12-15-11, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I don't believe in throwing away ANYTHING that is part of any media I buy- that's part of the joys of collecting.
I believe in this for the most part. Except for the giant paper briefcase containing the King Kong Production Diaries. That thing had to go.
Old 12-15-11, 01:24 AM

Throw me into the camp who like them but it's not a dealbreaker if a movie doesn't have one. Though, I wish my Dark knight BD had one. It looks goofy with just the Joker on the front.
Old 12-15-11, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Slipcovers are nice but not a requirement. I'll take them if the release has them but I won't lose any sleep if it doesn't. That said, if it does have a slipcover, my OCD demands I get the most pristine one in the store. I'm sure I must get bizarre looks at Best Buy or Wal-Mart as I meticulously inspect each slipcover until I find one that is in good enough condition for me to accept.
OMG, I'm looking in a mirror....

--THX
Old 12-15-11, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by persn
maybe you should spend less time worrying about people collecting cardboard and focus that time on proper sentence syntax and punctuation.
Were you trying to be ironic?
Old 12-15-11, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I cared about them for a few months years ago, then it got too troublesome to keep up, just too many and too hard to find many times when buying used, or there is some sticker on it etc. These days they are in a box at the moment, I could never toss them knowing other people want them. I am not big on all the extra packing etc.. I rather my collection take up as less space as possible.
Old 12-15-11, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by neoz
Slipcovers may seem like a waste to you but are they any different from comicbooks or baseball cards which are also made of paper? Just because slipcovers aren't "worth" the same amount of money as mentioned items and made out of paper that in turn makes them a waste? I'm all for taking care of the planet and being a good steward but don't try to make it sound like slipcovers are evil and will kill the earth. Most companies that make slipcovers use recycled materiel to make them anyway. And if you are so concerned about the earth are you recycling all your paper inserts and putting your blu/dvd's into binders and recycling the blu ray cases? Like you said, you may see them as a waste but as I asked. Do you see comic books, baseball cards, and or books which are made out of paper and collected a waste as well? And should those people be hated and their items deemed bad too?
My argument isn't that slipcovers are a waste because they are made of paper, but that they don't add anything essential to the packaging. Many just have the same artwork as the insert, and those that don't, I'm not really a fan of.

And it's funny that you mention comic books, because this slipcover craze seems very similar to the early 1990s when comic books companies would often publish issues with "special" covers, like die-cut, chromium, foil, gatefold, hologram and many others. Yes, people would collect these special covers, but ultimately, it doesn't change the content of the issue. And that's what really matters, the content. Slipcovers are just a fad that the consumer will eventually wise up to.
Old 12-15-11, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Slipcovers are just a fad that the consumer will eventually wise up to.
Maybe not so much wise up to as to just changing. The second I thought about paying more for a movie to get the slipcover was the time to stop. For years now it is just about the content.
Old 12-15-11, 07:00 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Goddamn you, RocShemp. This is me too...goddamn you, sir.
Old 12-15-11, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're so OCD, why use the banana icon in your post?
It totally throws off the line spacing.
Old 12-15-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe you should spend less time worrying about people collecting cardboard and focus that time on proper sentence syntax and punctuation.
You spelt parsnip wrong.
Old 12-15-11, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by arminius
You spelt parsnip wrong.
HAHA

i think you're blind
Old 12-15-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To those who throw them away - sell them instead! Make yourself some cash back on your Blu purchase. If there's a forum, there's probably also a market for such things; maybe on that same forum?

I've re-bought Harry Potter 6, Watchmen, A Nightmare Before Christmas 3D - to get the cool 3D lenticular covers, then resold the bare copies.
Old 12-15-11, 10:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

"cool 3D lenticular covers" are better than the standard slipcovers though, by a long shot
Old 12-15-11, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only time I keep a slip-cover is if it's different than the cover on the DVD. Otherwise I toss em. Isn't the main purpose of a slip-cover to prevent theft?
Old 12-15-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like them; I think they make boring Blu-ray cases look snazzier. I won't lose my shit if I can't get one, though.
Old 12-15-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

My argument isn't that slipcovers are a waste because they are made of paper, but that they don't add anything essential to the packaging. Many just have the same artwork as the insert, and those that don't, I'm not really a fan of.

And it's funny that you mention comic books, because this slipcover craze seems very similar to the early 1990s when comic books companies would often publish issues with "special" covers, like die-cut, chromium, foil, gatefold, hologram and many others. Yes, people would collect these special covers, but ultimately, it doesn't change the content of the issue. And that's what really matters, the content. Slipcovers are just a fad that the consumer will eventually wise up to.
This post seems to point out the flaws in your rationale. First, slipcovers don't add anything essential to the packaging. Technically, none of the packaging is essential. dvd manufacturers could potentially throw a dvd in a paper sleeve and shrinkwrap it and sell it. After all, as you point out later in your post what really matters is the content. So the outside of the product doesnt matter. The cover artwork doesnt matter, disc art doesnt matter, etc. All that matters is the actual content of the product. In this case, whatever is on that dvd whether it is a movie or tv show.
Second, you dont seem to understand the "collector metality". People want the stuff they collect to look nice. Whether it is baseball cards, or comic books, or dvds. As with anything, rarity or uniqueness is a bonus for these kinds of things. Hence the deluxe packaging, or special covers.
I personally dont collect slipcovers. I dont throw them out if I get them, but I dont actively seek them out. I also wouldnt think less of anyone that did collect them. To each his own.
Old 12-15-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like them, but I don't specifically hunt down certain ones on ebay. That's where it gets a little too nutty. If my copy came with a slip, fine. But if not, I don't throw a hissy fit over it.

The Rise of the Planet of the Apes slip is one of those I wouldn't trash. It's a bit more classy than a standard cardboard version.

And yes, blu-ray.com's threads always get taken over by a slipcover discussion, which gets real old real fast.
Old 12-15-11, 12:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I like them, but I don't specifically hunt down certain ones on ebay. That's where it gets a little too nutty. If my copy came with a slip, fine. But if not, I don't throw a hissy fit over it.

The Rise of the Planet of the Apes slip is one of those I wouldn't trash. It's a bit more classy than a standard cardboard version.

And yes, blu-ray.com's threads always get taken over by a slipcover discussion, which gets real old real fast.
something a good majority of the blu-ray.com folk do a lot of ...
Old 12-15-11, 12:30 PM

I'm pretty obsessed with slipcovers. I'm a graphic artist though, so I'm a whore for any kind of special packaging. For me, the blu-ray cases look kinda cheap. The slipcovers add a bit of quality to the packaging.

Another thing (which is probably the reason slipcovers are used in the first place), with the spines on the blu-ray cases rounded and shiny, I find the titles much easier to see on the shelf when they have the flat spine of the slipcovers.
Old 12-15-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Why would I want to throw something out that's part of the package I bought and usually has added visual value over the video case without it. Do you buy a hardcover novel and just throw away the cover that came with it too?
99% of the time the slipcover artwork is exactly the same as the cover art, a completely different situation from a dust cover over a blank hardcover book. They are a total waste and go right in the trash when I buy a DVD or Blu-ray.
Old 12-15-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I don't care too much about slip covers. If it comes with a slip cover, fine. If not, no big deal. Throwing slip covers away, though, is crazy talk!

I do love The Pirates of the Caribbean slip covers. They have that cool shiny, textured slip covers that are downright badass!
Old 12-15-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

HAHA

i think you're blind

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.