Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wait, why does Buffy the Vampire Slayer (y'know, the movie) look this great?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I bought Buffy at Wal-Mart for ten bucks and wasn't expecting much, but...holy mother of something, Fox really ponied up for a world-class remaster.

Okay, okay, the flashbacks are soft and grainy, and the film stock doesn't hold up well under low light. Geez, though, when the sun's out, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is honestly one of the absolute best looking catalog titles I've seen in HD...and I've seen a lot! There's a scene kinda early on where the girls are chatting outside the school, and it's reference quality: absurdly sharp and detailed, and those garish Kris Kross-era neon colors leap right off the screen.

It's been remixed to 7.1 too.

I still don't...like the movie all that much, but geez, it really is gorgeous.
Old 10-25-11, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Wait, why does Buffy the Vampire Slayer (y'know, the movie) look this great?

Looks like i'll need to watch this soon. Figured it would be a typical crap release.
Old 10-26-11, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Wait, why does Buffy the Vampire Slayer (y'know, the movie) look this great?

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Looks like i'll need to watch this soon. Figured it would be a typical crap release.
Same here! I saw it along with The Crow at Walmart and thought they were rushed releases.

Looks like I might have to go back and pick up Buffy on BD.
Old 10-26-11, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

It sells quite well for a catalog property, ever since the television show became a monster hit. I think a lot of casual buyers pick it up thinking it has something to do with the Sarah Michelle Gellar version.
Old 10-26-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It was, because that movie IS crap!
Old 10-27-11, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I bought Buffy at Wal-Mart for ten bucks and wasn't expecting much, but...holy mother of something, Fox really ponied up for a world-class remaster.

Okay, okay, the flashbacks are soft and grainy, and the film stock doesn't hold up well under low light. Geez, though, when the sun's out, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is honestly one of the absolute best looking catalog titles I've seen in HD...and I've seen a lot! There's a scene kinda early on where the girls are chatting outside the school, and it's reference quality: absurdly sharp and detailed, and those garish Kris Kross-era neon colors leap right off the screen.

It's been remixed to 7.1 too.

I still don't...like the movie all that much, but geez, it really is gorgeous.
Good to hear (read). I also picked it for $10 at Wal Mart (along with Don't Say a Word and Hide and Seek) so glad it's solid release.
Old 10-27-11, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care how great the film looks or sounds, I'm not going near it again!

All I can do is hold out minute, pointless, sliver of a sense of hope that one day a thread will be started with the title "Wait, why does Buffy the Vampire Slayer (y'know, the TV series) look this great?" on Blu-ray.

Of course I'd figure Angel would look even better considering how it was shot but you get the idea.
Old 10-27-11, 02:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can't possibly be as bad as the transfer of Secret Of NIMH.
Old 10-27-11, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I read the thread title I thought you were referring to Kristy Swanson.
Old 10-27-11, 10:39 AM

I know that Blu-ray.com doesn't always do the best job of reviewing things, but they gave the Video a 3.5/5 I believe.
Old 10-27-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are people complaining about a catalog title getting a decent transfer? i'm confused.
Old 10-27-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a surprise? Fox routinely provides stellar transfers for some of their shittiest releases.
Old 10-27-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
are people complaining about a catalog title getting a decent transfer? i'm confused.
Fans of the show are bitching the movie exists. I like this flick so I'm glad it got a good transfer. I may pick it up now, if I find a copy.
Old 10-27-11, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Fans of the show are bitching the movie exists. I like this flick so I'm glad it got a good transfer. I may pick it up now, if I find a copy.
I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I did not watch the show at all when it premiered was because of the assumption the movie and the show were the same and the movie sucked (pardon the pun). Therefore I didn't know a thing about the show and how different it was.
Old 10-27-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I did not watch the show at all when it premiered was because of the assumption the movie and the show were the same and the movie sucked (pardon the pun). Therefore I didn't know a thing about the show and how different it was.
I tuned out the first season the show was on because I had no interest in watching a serialized version of the movie. The only reason I started watching in season 2 was because of the praise it received. Fortunately, WB re-aired the first season during season 2, so I was able to quickly catch up.
Old 10-27-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

The movie is one of my admitted guilty pleasures. Was happy to find out this came out and Fox gave it a bit of love. Keep the good catalog releases coming!
Old 10-27-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
I'm not complaining. Just surprised. This is clearly a brand new transfer, and some money went into making it look and sound as great as it can.

[Edited to add -- Oh, I didn't realize there was a re-release of the movie on DVD last year. That explains it. ]
Old 10-27-11, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
[Edited to add -- Oh, I didn't realize there was a re-release of the movie on DVD last year. That explains it. ]
Re-released with a Twilight-esque cover, which the Blu-ray re-used.

In the UK complete series sets of both Buffy and ANGEL are getting Twilight-style cover re-designs as well. Only a matter of time before that happens here.
Old 10-28-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked the movie because, although very stupid, it seems gleefully so. In fact, the reason I gave up on the series was because (although ocassionally funny) it took the goofy premise far too serious for my liking. Same when I caught reruns of Angel some years later. I liked the goofy episodes but was bored to tears whenever the show got serious.

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Re-released with a Twilight-esque cover, which the Blu-ray re-used.

In the UK complete series sets of both Buffy and ANGEL are getting Twilight-style cover re-designs as well. Only a matter of time before that happens here.

That is an aweful cover!
Old 10-29-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I liked the movie because, although very stupid, it seems gleefully so. In fact, the reason I gave up on the series was because (although ocassionally funny) it took the goofy premise far too serious for my liking. Same when I caught reruns of Angel some years later. I liked the goofy episodes but was bored to tears whenever the show got serious.

That is an aweful cover!
Reminds me of the crappy Near Dark cover
Old 10-29-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777
Reminds me of the crappy Near Dark cover
Dear Lord! It may actually be worse!

Old 10-30-11, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That cover's a whole lot worse than the actual movie cover. What was wrong with Kristy just standing there ?
The original cover puts you in the frame of mind of the silliness of the movie. The new one makes it look like a serious movie, which it isn't.
Old 10-30-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
The new one makes it look like a serious movie, which it isn't.
I'm pretty sure that's the point of the cover change, though. :-/
Old 10-30-11, 04:24 PM

That is an aweful cover!
Photobucket

I always thought it looked exactly like the An American Werewolf in London BD
Old 10-30-11, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My girlfriend absolutely loves this movie, so it's been on her radar. Seeing that the Blu-Ray actually looks quite good is just another benefit...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.