Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lion King - 2D & 3D Perfection

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 10-06-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched the forums but could not find anything just for forum member's reviews of LK BR 2D/3D movie.

Anyway, was home sick yesterday and was able to watch the 3D movie and just loved it.

It is no problem spending money on something that has had that much attention to every detail of the movie.

To me, the movie has always had that 3D feel to it, so the "3D Conversion" was natural and made it seem that the movie was filmed/created in 3D.

The opening shot of Zazu flying towards Pride Rock was 3D at it's best, it is now my "3D Show Off scene" for friends and family. It gave me the sense of WOW, it was a natural 3D shot as if I truly flying behind him with a camera. In some ways I think this is what the animators wanted when they 1st drew the sequence, the shot to be 3D.

Zazu flying toward Pride Rock was the 1st trailer for LK way back in 1993/94. The whole theater sat there in amazement after it was over, that is how I felt when I watch scene for the 1st time in 3D. I knew I was info a special 3D treat after Simba was present on Pride Rock and then the Lion King graphics popped up - I was not disappointed.

The rest of the "3D Movie" allow you to be immersed into the amazing beauty and danger of the wilds of Africa, without being gimmicky or forced upon you. Walking through the grass lands to the dangers of the stampede make watching LK 3D as enjoyable (or even more so) as Avatar.

Colors were bright, but not over saturated. The earth tones of Africa transported me into another world of beauty that made me forget that I was watching an animated movie. Blacks are perfect, setting the mood of the scene, but never crushing any details or adding noise.

Never once was I distracted by banding in the sky or the mushing of details. LK looked great on DVD, but everything has been improved to perfection on BR (especially having the added 3D enjoyment).

Throughout the movie, I was surround by Lion King's Academy Award winning music, clear dialog (which I love, some movies you have to turn on Captions to know what they are saying), stampedes, jungle sounds, wind, dramatic fights and triumphant closing music.

I am personally a Video Quality junkie, but the sounds and music is just another way perfection has been added to this BR set.

If I was deserted on a island and had to pick 10 movies to watch over a long period of time, LK would be on the list. 3D has added a whole new flavor to the movie which makes me love it all the more.

Have not watched the Extras yet, something else to look forward to.

How do the rest of you feel about LK in 2D and 3D?
Old 10-06-11, 11:41 AM

Re: Lion King - 2D & 3D Perfection

Thanks for the review. I havn't made it out yet to pick it up, been swamped at work. I do look forward to seeing in in Blu ray. I could watch it but dont want to pay for the glasses for my TV.

I remember seeing it in the theater 18 years ago and being blown away by it. Maybe i watch it this week but my unwatched movie pile is growing fast.
Old 10-06-11, 11:51 AM

And mercifully, Disney did not put any annoying "Recommended Feature" pop-up at the start of the (lengthy) credits, like they did with 'Beauty & the Beast' and 'Alice In Wonderland'.

'Dumbo' and 'Bambi' were also pop-up-free, but I wasn't sure if that was because their end credits were so brief. Maybe Disney has given up for good on this intrusive practice...
Old 10-06-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I feel like Im giving up.. still cant find the 3d Lunchbox Case from Bestbuy .. near bestbuy store here literally dont have anything on stock
Old 10-06-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xage View Post
I feel like Im giving up.. still cant find the 3d Lunchbox Case from Bestbuy .. near bestbuy store here literally dont have anything on stock
I'm sure someone will grab one for you if you can't.
Old 10-07-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveInCT View Post
And mercifully, Disney did not put any annoying "Recommended Feature" pop-up at the start of the (lengthy) credits, like they did with 'Beauty & the Beast' and 'Alice In Wonderland'.

'Dumbo' and 'Bambi' were also pop-up-free, but I wasn't sure if that was because their end credits were so brief. Maybe Disney has given up for good on this intrusive practice...
Noticed that also, thanks for pointing that out.

The 3D disk special feature is only one Trailer that has to be accessed from the Main Menu.
Old 10-07-11, 03:19 PM
Banned

I got it the day before it came out (preordered it) and it looked great. Thankfully, I didn't get the 3D version...which is just a fad that is going to fade almost as quickly as HD-DVD. The true version on blu-ray looks amazing. Much better than I thought it was going to.
Old 10-07-11, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's up the with the audio - during the opening 'Circle of Life' sequence the vocals of the song are all over the place - it's sounds very out of phase. The bass is better than the recent theatrical run, but it's still not as good as the sound on the Dolby Digital AC3 laserdisc.
Old 10-07-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

No, this sounds about as good as it can get. I definitely don't hear the vocals all over the place. It is loud as hell though. I have the laserdisc as well. I may have to pull that out later to do some comparisons.
Old 10-08-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
I got it the day before it came out (preordered it) and it looked great. Thankfully, I didn't get the 3D version...which is just a fad that is going to fade almost as quickly as HD-DVD. The true version on blu-ray looks amazing. Much better than I thought it was going to.
Oh yeah definately just a fad. Thats definately what 80 million dollars in 3 weeks for an 17 year old movie would certainly indicate.
As well as the re release schedule for 3D versions of other Disney animated classics/and Disney pixar titles.
Old 10-09-11, 01:56 AM
Banned

Exactly. The main reason that a 17 year old movie made that much so quickly IS because of the 3D treatment. 3D is cool, but it's not going to stick around. People will get tired of it sooner or later, just like they always do. Just like 3D at home. It will burn out eventually as the novelty wears off. Lion King is a cool movie, but it made so much more because of the 3D.
Old 10-09-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Outstanding in 2D! Have no interest in the 3D version.
Old 10-09-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
I'm sure someone will grab one for you if you can't.

Drove 20+ miles .. found 1 however the outer box got some serious damegs.. got a 20% and $5 discount though ( 10% from coupon and 10% customer service courtesy)