Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Attack The Block (2011) -- 10/25

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This fall, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is planning to release the horror/comedy Attack the Block on Blu-ray. The feature-film debut from Joe Cornish (co-writer of both TV's The Adam and Joe Show and Steven Spielberg's upcoming The Adventures of Tintin) focuses on a London street gang that must save their apartment block from a horde of ravenous space aliens. Featuring an acclaimed electronica soundtrack by Steven Price & Basement Jaxx, Attack the Block stars Jodie Whittaker (Good), Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead), and newcomer John Boyega as Moses, the gang's troubled leader-turned-reluctant hero.

While Sony has not confirmed the Blu-ray's complete technical specifications, it will present the film in its original aspect ratio of 2.39:1. The disc also contains a number of special features, including:

"Junior" commentary with writer/director Joe Cornish and actors John Boyega, Alex Esmail, Franz Drameh, Simon Howard, and Leeon Jones
"Senior" commentary with Cornish and actors Jodie Whittaker, Luke Treadaway, and Nick Frost
"Executive Producer" commentary with Cornish and executive producer Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz)
Behind the Block featurette
Creature Feature featurette
Meet the Gang featurette
Unfilmed Action featurette
That's a Rap featurette

Attack the Block is expected to street on October 25th.
Old 09-15-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Attack The Block (2011) -- 10/25

Great news!!! First day purchase.
Old 09-15-11, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul1957
Great news!!! First day purchase.
Old 09-15-11, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liked the flick (although I gather that I'm a bit older than its target audience), might be picking it up depending on what the extras are.
Old 09-15-11, 04:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

missed it's small theatrical release, but glad it's getting released on home video rather quickly. I'm though very annoyed that the album soundtrack did not get a domestic release - granted it's buyable via ITunes, I'd still like a physical copy (CD) and the imports are still a bit steep.
Old 09-15-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Evil ASh
Liked the flick (although I gather that I'm a bit older than its target audience), might be picking it up depending on what the extras are.
Three audio commentaries, a sixty-minute documentary (Behind the Block) and four featurettes are not enough for you?
Old 09-15-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never caught this, but I've heard nothing but awesome praise. Any modern film that gets compared to The Monster Squad is worth buying in my mind.
Old 09-15-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved this movie. It out Super 8-ed Super 8.
Old 09-15-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
Loved this movie. It out Super 8-ed Super 8.
Dis-a-fucking-gree as they're two separate films... and this is coming from someone who loved them both.

Super 8 feels like a lost Speilberg-produced film that just got to see the light of day. It feels exactly like a film Speilberg would've put out during the era of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., Gremlins and The Goonies. The film has its faults, but I loved the ride as it brought me back to my childhood.

I don't like to compare Attack the Block to films of the eighties like The Goonies or The Monster Squad. It's definitely a homage to films from that era, but I would put it closer to alien invasion films from that decade like Night of the Creeps. You have a group of individuals who happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. It just happens that in this case the group happens to be a slew of foul-mouthed, weed-smoking, unlikeable twats that the audience has to accept to like within the 88-minute running time. And if you don't grow to like the characters, no loss, because the Basement Jaxx-supplied score kicks a lot of ass regardless of the quality of the film.
Old 09-15-11, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Dis-a-fucking-gree as they're two separate films... and this is coming from someone who loved them both.

Super 8 feels like a lost Speilberg-produced film that just got to see the light of day. It feels exactly like a film Speilberg would've put out during the era of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., Gremlins and The Goonies. The film has its faults, but I loved the ride as it brought me back to my childhood.

I don't like to compare Attack the Block to films of the eighties like The Goonies or The Monster Squad. It's definitely a homage to films from that era, but I would put it closer to alien invasion films from that decade like Night of the Creeps. You have a group of individuals who happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. It just happens that in this case the group happens to be a slew of foul-mouthed, weed-smoking, unlikeable twats that the audience has to accept to like within the 88-minute running time. And if you don't grow to like the characters, no loss, because the Basement Jaxx-supplied score kicks a lot of ass regardless of the quality of the film.
that's also the formula of the cast in Evil Aliens - which though because you hate the cast so much, you are just waiting for all of them to bite the big one - and they do, in buckets of over the top gore.
Old 09-15-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I never caught this, but I've heard nothing but awesome praise. Any modern film that gets compared to The Monster Squad is worth buying in my mind.
buy it day one. don't even think twice about it.
Old 09-15-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
missed it's small theatrical release, but glad it's getting released on home video rather quickly. I'm though very annoyed that the album soundtrack did not get a domestic release - granted it's buyable via ITunes, I'd still like a physical copy (CD) and the imports are still a bit steep.
$17.50 or so incl. shipping isn't too bad.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Attack-Block...6131106&sr=1-1
Old 09-15-11, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like a fun movie, too bad its under 90 minutes. Wont buy it until it drops below $10
Old 09-16-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

I don't want to tie up an Attack the Block thread with debate about a different movie, but I personally thought Super 8 was a retro-nostalgia wankfest. There were some really nice scenes throughout, especially with the kids, but everything else, from the over-the-top train derailment to the actual look of the alien/monster was so boneheadedly misguided. I love the old Amblin flicks, but I don't want to watch a limp facsimile of those movies.

Attack the Block, meanwhile, felt new and fun, even though it utilized a lot of the same formulas.
Old 09-16-11, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan
$17.50 or so incl. shipping isn't too bad.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Attack-Block...6131106&sr=1-1
might as well throw this onto my 'Ben Hur' (import) order with Amazon.co.uk