Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fright Night (1985): Twilight Time exclusive - 12/13/11

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Fright Night (1985): Twilight Time exclusive - 12/13/11

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Fright Night (1985): Twilight Time exclusive - 12/13/11

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm curious what you found lacking in Sarandon's performance.
I like Chris Sarandon in The Princess Bride, but he didn't do it for me in this. The movie sets it up so that the cheeseball horror movie host has to face off against a real classic horror movie monster, and I think Sarandon should have embraced that. But he didn't, and I felt his lackadaisical performance didn't fit the material. He's not creepy enough to play it straight, and not hammy enough to play it for camp.

With that said, I appreciated and enjoyed his cameo in the remake.

The remake drops the classic horror movie angle. I thought that Farrell was great in it. The scene where he stands outside the kitchen door talking to Charlie about his hot mom and girlfriend is both really creepy and really funny.

Ragsdale and Bearse are both terrible in the original. And the kid playing Ed is so obviously coked out of his mind the whole movie (and I don't mean the character) that it's just embarrassing to watch.

I mean, I understand having nostaglia for a bad movie that you liked as a kid (believe me, I have plenty of those), but once you take off the rose-colored glasses, the original Fright Night just doesn't hold up at all.

Last edited by Josh Z; 09-03-11 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
This whole thing does not bode well for Blu-ray. The movie was popular enough for a remake but not popular enough for a Blu-ray release. Scary.
And it's a fucking Sony release to boot.

Sony... the company that invented blu-ray.
Old 09-04-11, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Facebook:
So $30 plus shipping? I'll pass and wait for a wider release. Jeez if I had known this I woulda kept my HD recording of the flick on my DVR.
Old 09-04-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
I'll pass and wait for a wider release.
I doubt there will be a wider release. This is it.
Old 09-04-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the time of release, the original Fright Night was a clever, modern twist on the vampire movie and I still love it. Chris Sarandon delivered a smart, unique take on the vampire as the charming next door neighbor. Yes, the romantic leads are interchangeable but not Sarandon's performance. He made the movie as did Roddy. That "kid," Stephen Geoffreys, was also pretty wild in his role.
Old 09-04-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And it's a fucking Sony release to boot.

Sony... the company that invented blu-ray.
So Sony's electronics division develops a piece of consumer technology and all of a sudden movies created by a film studio they acquired (the one in question being a product if the Coca-cola era, I believe) are all automatically popular enough to warrant a Blu-ray release?
Old 09-04-11, 08:29 PM

I doubt there will be a wider release. This is it.
Their license to put this out won't last forever, Sony will either eventually put it out themselves or be smart and license it out to a company that can actually get it easily into consumer's hands.
Old 09-04-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Their license to put this out won't last forever, Sony will either eventually put it out themselves or be smart and license it out to a company that can actually get it easily into consumer's hands.
You're assuming physical media will be around that long? Even if Blu-ray is still a viable format in a few years, I don't think Sony would bother with Fright Night. If they're not even going to release it as a bare-bones disc to tie in with the remake, then they'll never release it.
Old 09-04-11, 08:41 PM

You're assuming physical media will be around that long? Even if Blu-ray is still a viable format in a few years, I don't think Sony would bother with Fright Night. If they're not even going to release it as a bare-bones disc to tie in with the remake, then they'll never release it.
You know, at one point people were saying "The Monster Squad" and (perhaps more appropriately) "Night of the Creeps" would never see a release and yet we got both as special editions on DVD and BD.

Physical media will be around a long time but that's not the point as NO WAY will this license last long enough to outlive BD.
Old 09-04-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(perhaps more appropriately) "Night of the Creeps" would never see a release and yet we got both as special editions on DVD and BD.
Obviously Night of the Creeps didn't sell as well as Sony had anticipated, otherwise they would have released a full blown SE of Fright Night (which I'm assuming has a much larger cult following than Creeps) just like they did for Creeps instead of licensing Fright Night and a large portion of their catalog out to Twilight Time.

Physical media will be around a long time but that's not the point as NO WAY will this license last long enough to outlive BD.
Most catalog titles are not selling on BD. With catalog titles on DVD being basically dead, replaced by MOD, I'm guessing the scenario will be similar for Blu-ray in a few years, with only the tentpole titles being released by major studios. Either way, I'm pretty confident (though I wish I weren't, believe me) that Sony will never release Fright Night on Blu-ray. As for them licensing the title out a second time to a different company, if they had wanted to work out a deal with Shout! Factory, BU, etc. then they would have.
Old 09-05-11, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Nostalgia is a powerful thing, I guess. I rewatched the original on cable after seeing the remake, and quite frankly the remake is an improvement in nearly every respect. Other than Roddy McDowell, the actors in the original are across-the-board atrocious. I found myself cringing repeatedly as William Ragsdale screamed every line of dialogue.
Well of coarse, the remake is better (production wise) because its been updated by using modern filmmaking technology. Movies weren't made with CGI 26 years ago, when the original was in production. The original Fright Night wasn't near that bad at all (as you've claimed!) The movie's overall portrayal, was intentionally meant to be campy, as a comedy/horror film. Fright Night was never a endeavor to be an Academy Award caliber movie.

Last edited by slimdude; 09-05-11 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-05-11, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

You know, at one point people were saying "The Monster Squad" and (perhaps more appropriately) "Night of the Creeps" would never see a release and yet we got both as special editions on DVD and BD.

You're talking about releases that came out two years ago. Two years ago, studios were still hopefuly Blu-ray would 'save the day'. Now, that's not happening. Sony has licensed off lots of titles to several studios, as did Paramount, Fox, Disney etc. Blu-ray did not get people ready to buy (or re-buy) titles. There is a bigger risk. It's why we see so many bargain bin titles with crappy looking encodes and no new (if any) extra features. Aside from a few choice titles each year, studios are not going to go all out for catalog anymore. Sales are down.
Old 09-05-11, 06:29 PM

Obviously Night of the Creeps didn't sell as well as Sony had anticipated, otherwise they would have released a full blown SE of Fright Night (which I'm assuming has a much larger cult following than Creeps) just like they did for Creeps instead of licensing Fright Night and a large portion of their catalog out to Twilight Time.
Well since neither you or I have access to those sales figures, it's all an assumption game.

Most catalog titles are not selling on BD. With catalog titles on DVD being basically dead, replaced by MOD, I'm guessing the scenario will be similar for Blu-ray in a few years, with only the tentpole titles being released by major studios. Either way, I'm pretty confident (though I wish I weren't, believe me) that Sony will never release Fright Night on Blu-ray. As for them licensing the title out a second time to a different company, if they had wanted to work out a deal with Shout! Factory, BU, etc. then they would have.
All I CAN make an educated guess on is that, based on what has been said officially, we can safely say that this is a very limited license for this small time company. Once it runs out, I can hope Anchor Bay will offer up a higher figure to acquire it.
I was not privy to the workings of the deal made obviously, perhaps the other companies (Shout, etc) simply didn't know the title was "up for grabs" and Twilight just got lucky, who knows?
Old 09-05-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once it runs out, I can hope Anchor Bay will offer up a higher figure to acquire it.
Out of all the hypothetical companies who might possibly release Fright Night on Blu-ray at a later date, Anchor Bay is the least likely. Since being absorbed by Starz, they've gotten out of the genre catalog business almost completely, with Evil Dead and the two Jodorowsky films being their only catalog releases in 2011. As you may or may not have heard, Image is now releasing (lousy) Blu-rays of much of AB's New World catalog.
Old 09-05-11, 06:43 PM

Out of all the hypothetical companies who might possibly release Fright Night on Blu-ray at a later date, Anchor Bay is the least likely. Since being absorbed by Starz, they've gotten out of the genre catalog business almost completely, with Evil Dead and the two Jodorowsky films being their only catalog releases in 2011. As you may or may not have heard, Image is now releasing (lousy) Blu-rays of much of AB's New World catalog.
I'll still take an Image release over this any day.
Old 09-05-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll still take an Image release over this any day.
Okay, I'm officially giving up.
Old 09-05-11, 06:55 PM

Okay, I'm officially giving up.
Ok.....didn't realize you were trying to accomplish something in the first place.
Old 09-05-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

And the kid playing Ed is so obviously coked out of his mind the whole movie (and I don't mean the character) that it's just embarrassing to watch.
You might actually like some of his other films.
Old 09-05-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, in theory, like Image's other Sony Blu-ray releases, Sony provides the material. Image is just putting out the title. Image's New World releases, well, Lakeshore is providing them masters that look to be over a decade old.
Old 09-05-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trout
I thought he gave a tremendously nuanced performance in Transsexual Prostitutes 2.
Old 09-05-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trout
He gives some really gritty performances.
Old 09-06-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by slimdude
Well of coarse, the remake is better (production wise) because its been updated by using modern filmmaking technology. Movies weren't made with CGI 26 years ago, when the original was in production.
I'm not just talking about production values. I'm talking about the fundamentals of writing, directing and acting.

Fright Night was never a endeavor to be an Academy Award caliber movie.
I don't know where this perception comes from that all movies divide into two unavoidable categories: Either they're Oscar winners or they're complete shit, with absolutlely nothing in between. That's just not true. In fact, the vast majority of movies ever made fall somewhere in between. This one leans more towards "complete shit" for me.

YMMV.
Old 09-06-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Fright Night rules. I'd glady spend the money to upgrade my dvd, but not $35-45
Old 09-06-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not just talking about production values. I'm talking about the fundamentals of writing, directing and acting.

I don't know where this perception comes from that all movies divide into two unavoidable categories: Either they're Oscar winners or they're complete shit, with absolutlely nothing in between. That's just not true. In fact, the vast majority of movies ever made fall somewhere in between. This one leans more towards "complete shit" for me.

YMMV.
If you think its so horrible why cotinue to comment on the film, why not just let those of us who actually enjoy the film be happy that even at a expensive price that we can finally have the chance to have it on bluray if we want to buy it.

instead of saying that people who like this only like it for nostagia's sake, when you have no idea why those of us who like it do.
Old 09-19-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Twilight Time on Facebook
at this point it's looking like the isolated score, and theatrical trailer only.
So they were unable to find any pre-existing extras? Not even one of those short, 'making-of' EPK featurettes? And they're charging $35 plus shipping? Couldn't they at least include the soundtrack on CD, since soundtracks are what they're known for? This better be a reference-quality transfer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.