Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Phantom of the Opera 11/1

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

the original 1925 silent version being released on bluray on 11/1. It's carrying a big price tag of $35.99 at the moment that will stop me from buying it. i hope the price will come down I would love to see this. Although being a silent movie it may be hard to watch.
Old 08-29-11, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Phantom of the Opera 11/1

Old 08-31-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Is this KINO?
Old 08-31-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I can think of quite a few silent films I would rather see on Blu-ray than this one, but I'm happy when any title like this is announced. I'll pick it up when it gets cheap enough.
Old 08-31-11, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Is this KINO?
that was my thought...I've yet to get a KINO BD but...how's there work overral? I seem to remember that it's great that they're releasing this or that film BUT it could be improved on.
Old 10-21-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The price was knocked down to $23.99 on Amazon. Still a bit high but a lot better that the $36 it was originally priced for.
Old 10-26-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Have there been any reviews for this yet?
Old 10-27-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I really want this release, but i hate the cover, that's a spoiler right there
Old 10-31-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blu-ray.com review http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ph.../25557/#Review
Old 11-03-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
The price was knocked down to $23.99 on Amazon. Still a bit high but a lot better that the $36 it was originally priced for.
with tax it came close to $25.
I believe it is the discs producer that has posted elsewhere hoping/expecting that Image would institute a recall - but that didn't happen though the disc is being corrected and will be repressed soon. So given the numerous issues this release supposedly has, I've decided to just send my copy back to Amazon unopened and rebuy it at a later date- hopefully after the replacements are already widely available.

For anyone that wants to see it asap, it's at a better price on DD 21.64
Old 11-04-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Would you mind expanding on the problems with this disc? I hadn't read anything about it.
Old 11-04-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm a little hazy on just what exactly was bungled with this, however this is the comment from David Shephard posted in this thread (which contains more info on what may/may not be at issue here)

All the discs on sale right now are "problem discs". I was told they were going to be recalled but apparently they weren't. But as I said earlier, there will be an exchange procedure for those who wish to exercise it.
Some of the reported issues seem to be with the audio, the disc navigation, color/saturation- nothing seems to be a huge deal killer from people that have already viewed it (not knowing there were issues), but since the disc producer himself seems to feel the disc is not 100% of what it should otherwise be, and since I'm in no real urgent hurry to see it, I might as well hold out for the corrected version down the road.
YMMV
Old 12-21-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nitrateville
Those who have purchased the BD PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and wish to get a corrected copy should contact Michele Johnson ([email protected]). She will send replacement discs (but not packaging, which you should keep).

For avoidance of misunderstanding, the new edition will contain corrected audio (sync and stereo) as well as redesigned menu navigation. No major changes have been made to the picture portion, to the original silent version with Frederick Hodges' score, or to the extras.

Further, Image decided not to recall the first edition as both consumer and published reviews have been quite enthusiastic, so it is possible that new purchasers will receive the first edition depending upon the retailer's stock. If such is the case and the consumer finds it unsatisfactory because of issues that have been corrected, Ms. Johnson will exchange discs as above. Of course the new edition will be shipped after the first edition has been depleted.

My thanks to those who devoted time and effort to pointing out things which they thought should be changed. We have done what is possible within reasonable economic and technical limits, and if you will now sit back and enjoy the film, I hope you will be as pleased as I am with the results.

David Shepard
I emailed Michele Johnson on Sunday but have yet to receive a reply.
Old 12-21-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if the new edition will have any packaging changes to differentiate it from the first edition.
Old 05-07-13, 08:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone determined if it is possible to tell from the packaging or disc codes if a purchased copy is the corrected disc or not?
Old 05-07-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its not possible to tell from the outside. You need to pop it in and check out the menu.
Old 05-07-13, 12:33 PM

I have a copy at home that's open.

How can I tell from the menus? Any link to somewhere with specifics?
Old 05-07-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlers
I have a copy at home that's open.

How can I tell from the menus? Any link to somewhere with specifics?
According to this

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=34

it has "horrible and incorrect menu navigation". So, I would guess that if you just try to use the menus for a bit, it should be apparent.
Old 02-18-15, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry for reviving a nearly two-year-old thread, but did this go OOP? I was thinking of picking this up last weekend after holding off for a while because of the authoring screw up, but when I searched Amazon and DVD Planet, nothing came up except the Region B release. Even eBay didn't have anything.
Old 02-18-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

It started disappearing a couple of years ago and someone on the AVS Forum (or maybe the Home Theater Forum) sent an email to Image and asked if it was OOP. Image replied that it wasn't and they planned on manufacturing more copies soon. Don't know if they ever made more. It reminds me of their 90th Anniversary Chaplin Mutual release. It didn't go OOP but they took forever to make more copies after the first run. Something like 3 or 4 years. Meanwhile, the prices on the original set skyrocketed. They eventually made a slim-case version that looks like it's vanished too.
Old 02-19-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info. That sucks that this has pretty much disappeared, but I'm not going to freak out about it. I was actually on the fence about picking this up anyways because of the high price and authoring error. I was always paranoid that even after the replacements were sent out, I would get one of the messed up copies. Oh well, one movie to check off my "buy" list.
Old 09-04-15, 07:41 AM

I'm now seeing a pre-order date on Amazon of 10/13/15 for a Kino 2-disc blu-ray release of this.

I'll be curious to find out if they are using the exact same prints and music options. I can't imagine that there are that may restored prints around for them to make their own copies.

I don't see the previous audio commentary listed but they list the addition of two short travelogues.

The only other difference I see is that they slowed down the presentation of the screenplay so it could be watched I guess rather than still framed through.