Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Movie Slate for 2012

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Movie Slate for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: DC Animated Movie Slate for 2012

Originally Posted by fujishig
I barely remember anything but the premise from Waid's comics, but I think this one basically takes only the premise of Batman having files on everyone.
Both movies have similarly genocidal endgames, although the badniks who try to pull them off are completely different. Some of the specific methods of knocking off the members of the Justice League are carried over in fairly similar ways. You're right that it's definitely not a straight adaptation. The extras say it's a combination of the Super Friends cartoon, Alex Ross' Justice miniseries (which I don't see at all, but it's been a few years since I read that), and Tower of Babel, plus a bunch of its own stuff.

Most of the scenarios of the Leaguers being taken down are laughable (and really, they have absolutely no follow-through), as are the villain's main plot.
The only one that seemed really ridiculous to me was Green Lantern's just because...I mean, you do the job for that long and that sort of thing (trying to stay semi-spoiler-free here) is inevitably going to happen. I'm not saying he should've blown it off or whatever, but that couldn't have been the first time that happened.

Any idea why they don't connect these various films?
Freedom to experiment, maybe? I know they don't like getting too tethered to using the same voices, which is why Kevin Conroy and Tim Daly only show up for every 2nd or 3rd movie.

I loved the hell out of Justice League: Doom, personally. I know the argument goes that it's a 76 minute episode of Justice League Unlimited, and I don't even disagree, but that's exactly what I wanted.
Old 03-01-12, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I think the problem I had with the schemes is that they were pretty elaborate setups for the most part, and they didn't really need to be. Plus no follow through!

Spoiler:

Wonder Woman basically succumbed to a scratch with poison, but Cheetah leaves just counting on her heart to give out? I am surprised she didn't kill any civilians, she got pretty brutal with Cyborg.

Superman's scheme had an impersonator doing a fake suicide; was Batman just going to find out who the last guy they laid off at the Planet was? And all that for a Kryptonite bullet? And again, no follow through.

Jonnz: poisoned/on fire, dumped in a lake, again no follow through.

Flash: Let's see, you have Flash trapped... maybe just shoot him? Nah, make him run with a bomb.

Green Lantern: that's a really elaborate setup, and she just leaves him there, counting on him never getting back up? I do like that he didn't need the antidote.

Batman: darnit Bane, you know his secret identity, and you dig up his parents and bury him alive and believe that's going to break him? WTH? And yeah, your backup plan to stop you if you go rogue is the League, when you just proved that you could singlehandedly take them all out...

I know none of these were actually going to die, and I was kinda hoping that Cyborg would play a bigger part in the rescue. His whole "you aren't in the plan" thing didn't really amount to much, besides saving Supes.

The other problem I had was that I would have liked to see the League work together, but they just pair off with their own villains. There were some cool action sequences, though.

And Vandal Savage's big plot? Ugh. Total Deus Ex Machina that there was enough power to cover the entire Earth. Please. You had a better shot just doing your plan and hoping the JLA didn't notice until it was too late. As it was, even when they were right there they couldn't stop the launch, and you gave them their way out of it.

I know, I know, it's nitpicky and it's probably more for kids and I did enjoy the film. They couldn't have the Leaguers die. It was like a movie in the Young Justice universe starring the league.

Ok, one more nitpick. I know it's a bonus, but who in the world is going to read that comic on their TV? It's unreadable on a 60 inch TV, I can't imagine it being any better on a smaller one. They should really team with comixology or something to give out digital copies of a comic.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-01-12 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-05-12, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
If Conroy and Hamill are back then Dark Knight Returns will be a day one purchase for me.
Looks like The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 will be released on Oct 23 with Michael Ironside doing the voice of Batman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2313197/
Old 05-05-12, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah...I actually think Ironside has the voice for the ugly and grizzled Batman. Didn't Hamill say that Arkham City was his farewell w/ Mr. J?
Old 05-05-12, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yeah...I actually think Ironside has the voice for the ugly and grizzled Batman. Didn't Hamill say that Arkham City was his farewell w/ Mr. J?
It is until his next paycheck.
Old 05-05-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Awesome, pretty excited for The Dark Knight Returns Part 1. I would have preferred Conroy be the voice of Batman but I suppose I can deal with someone else. Hopefully Warner doesn't make us wait too long for Part 2. I really don't get Warner's big hang up with making these releases only 75 minutes or however long they're supposed to be.
Old 05-05-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I could totally see Michael Ironside doing the voice for an older Batman...
Old 05-06-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul1957
Looks like The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 will be released on Oct 23 with Michael Ironside doing the voice of Batman.
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I could totally see Michael Ironside doing the voice for an older Batman...
No need to use your imagination; Ironside voiced the elderly Batman in the Dark Knight Returns segment of the "Legends of the Dark Knight" episode of Batman: The Animated Series!
Old 05-06-12, 03:17 PM
Banned

and that is also true. I wonder how much they're really going into w/ TDKR. Like...it had some stuff that I can't see them going into. Mostly the sexual stuff.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QoZLPwRCjcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-08-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

There were some pics of the trailer for this animated feature online but they just got pulled.

Looked good. It was a nice balance between Timm's style and that of the comic book.
Old 05-11-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem I had with the schemes is that they were pretty elaborate setups for the most part, and they didn't really need to be. Plus no follow through!

Spoiler:

Wonder Woman basically succumbed to a scratch with poison, but Cheetah leaves just counting on her heart to give out? I am surprised she didn't kill any civilians, she got pretty brutal with Cyborg.

Superman's scheme had an impersonator doing a fake suicide; was Batman just going to find out who the last guy they laid off at the Planet was? And all that for a Kryptonite bullet? And again, no follow through.

Jonnz: poisoned/on fire, dumped in a lake, again no follow through.

Flash: Let's see, you have Flash trapped... maybe just shoot him? Nah, make him run with a bomb.

Green Lantern: that's a really elaborate setup, and she just leaves him there, counting on him never getting back up? I do like that he didn't need the antidote.

Batman: darnit Bane, you know his secret identity, and you dig up his parents and bury him alive and believe that's going to break him? WTH? And yeah, your backup plan to stop you if you go rogue is the League, when you just proved that you could singlehandedly take them all out...

I know none of these were actually going to die, and I was kinda hoping that Cyborg would play a bigger part in the rescue. His whole "you aren't in the plan" thing didn't really amount to much, besides saving Supes.

The other problem I had was that I would have liked to see the League work together, but they just pair off with their own villains. There were some cool action sequences, though.

And Vandal Savage's big plot? Ugh. Total Deus Ex Machina that there was enough power to cover the entire Earth. Please. You had a better shot just doing your plan and hoping the JLA didn't notice until it was too late. As it was, even when they were right there they couldn't stop the launch, and you gave them their way out of it.

I know, I know, it's nitpicky and it's probably more for kids and I did enjoy the film. They couldn't have the Leaguers die. It was like a movie in the Young Justice universe starring the league.

Ok, one more nitpick. I know it's a bonus, but who in the world is going to read that comic on their TV? It's unreadable on a 60 inch TV, I can't imagine it being any better on a smaller one. They should really team with comixology or something to give out digital copies of a comic.
I agree 100% with what you said, had to look past the fact they could have killed the entire JLA if they wanted to.
Old 05-23-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From The Hollywood Reporter;

Warner Bros. has set the voice cast for its upcoming animated adaptation of Frank Miller’s classic 1986 Batman tale The Dark Knight Returns, from Warner Premiere, DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Home Video.

Peter Weller (Robocop) will star as Batman/Bruce Wayne and Modern Family’s middle child Ariel Winter will play Robin.

Also in the cast are David Selby, the veteran actor who starred in the original Dark Shadows soap opera as well as the classic 1980s soap Falcon Crest; Wade Williams (Prison Break) as Harvey Dent/Two-Face; and Michael McKean as Dr. Wolper, the psychiatrist who releases the Joker from the insane asylum.

Warners and DC are splitting up the adaptation of the dense four-part graphic novel into two animated features titled Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 and Part 2. The first movie, which will be released under the DC Comics Premiere Movie brand, will hit shelves in the fall. Part 2 will be released in early 2013.
More photos at this link.

Old 05-23-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I like Weller, but I would have preferred Ironside. Oh well. I'm just glad they're doing it in two parts.

Also:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QoZLPwRCjcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-23-12, 01:47 PM
Banned

Ahem..post #34.
Old 05-23-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those stills have me stoked for this! I also like Peter Weller so I'm curious as to how his Bruce Wayne/Batman will sound.
Old 05-23-12, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be a crying shame if they don't get at least Kevin Conroy for Killing Joke. I just don't see Peter Weller as Batman. Makes even less sense than Ironside, who is more suited to Darkside than Batman. I much prefer Ironside as Darkside than Andre Braugher.
Old 05-23-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Warner has shown they really don't care what the real fans want from these features. Weller's name sells more copies on the cover than Conroy's or Ironside's name will sell, though I suspect he also is more expensive. Whatever the average Mom and Dad recognizes at Walmart is who gets picked for these features. It was utterly disastrous in Batman: Year One, where Batman's voice actor was a hack. Outside of Bruce Timm, Warner has repeatedly shown they have little understanding of what makes superheroes tick in mainstream media.
Old 05-23-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin Conroy is by far the definitive voice for the character. If not him the voice actor who was in Under the Red Hood, Bruce Greenwood is a pretty decent Bruce Wayne/Batman. The guy who voiced him in Year One was pretty meh.
Old 05-23-12, 05:38 PM
Banned

I love Conroy too but...TDKR isn't the same guy that came from TAS or most of the others Conroy has worked in.

While I wouldve preferred Ironside for this not cuz of TAS but also...this Batman is ugly. He's let so much happen to himself and Gotham. He's a building that still stands but it's a mess of one. It's appropriate they got someone else. Ironside's voice fit that harsh ugliness in the man.
Old 05-23-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I love Conroy too but...TDKR isn't the same guy that came from TAS or most of the others Conroy has worked in.

While I wouldve preferred Ironside for this not cuz of TAS but also...this Batman is ugly. He's let so much happen to himself and Gotham. He's a building that still stands but it's a mess of one. It's appropriate they got someone else. Ironside's voice fit that harsh ugliness in the man.
Yeah, I think it makes sense to use some different voices for different concepts just as there are different artists
Old 05-23-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahem..post #34.
Ahem.. post #19.
Old 05-23-12, 07:25 PM
Banned

damn you.
Old 05-23-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No worries. Someone else will repost it soon, and we'll all have a good laugh at their groin.
Old 07-31-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trailer for The Dark Knight Returns:

<iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:820585/cp~id%3D1690758%26vid%3D820585%26instance%3Dmtv%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A820585" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Get More: MTV Shows

Old 07-31-12, 11:43 PM

Coverart for Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.