Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Mimic: Director's Cut - 9/27/11

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Mimic: Director's Cut - 9/27/11

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Mimic: Director's Cut - 9/27/11

^ THAT is more like it
Old 09-15-11, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review HM2000. I think I got this one to show up in my GoldBox on amazon, glad i pre-ordered it.

The Director's Cut is playing somewhere in Toronto tonight, with a Q&A with Del Toro himself. Sounds like a good time, if you happen to be nearby.
Old 09-16-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HockeyMan2000
The alternate ending (which I read someone on IMDB claim wasn't even on the disc!) is in the extras, though it's actually a little bit different than the one I saw in an earlier workprint in terms of sound editing and such.
My understanding is that the "alternate" ending that is in the extras is not the "original" ending that was written, but never filmed.
Old 09-18-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DVD Beaver
Old 09-19-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Is there a review out there yet that describes the differences?
Old 09-19-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Is there a review out there yet that describes the differences?
Not a review, but a poster on Blu-ray.com noted a few of the changes:

Spoiler:
But, from what I noticed and what is mentioned on one of the featurettes, some scenes have been extended. When the CDC is at the church, there are a couple of new scenes. There is a moment where they look at the sweatshop and look at a label that says "Made in the USA and Proud!" Then there is a moment with a crazed asian woman being taken away by medics. Another asian man, either a cop or a paramedic (can't remember sorry), then translates it. She is raving about "dark angels."

The scene where they are waiting on the pregnancy test is extended. Originally, it more than implied that the test was negative. "Sometimes these things can be wrong!" As they walk away, the shot pans over to the test in the trash can. It goes from blank to a plus sign.

Later on, the husband finds the test. There is another scene where he tries to tell her, but the phones are losing reception. He finally tells her at the end of the film.

They also show the treatment plant finding the carcass.

I also believe another scene is new. It begins with Mira Sorvino and her assistant looking a bug in a maze and talking about how they can certain bugs by picking out the male with sound, IIRC. Then the Corn Flakes box starts shaking. She opens the box, which says "Weird Bug" and gets bitten. NOTE: Don't confuse this with the scene where she cuts open the box. That happens later, after the assistant has left. This scene, she simply opens the top of the box and gets bitten. She then tells her assistant to find those kids that sold them the specimens.

I also think some shots here and there have been removed. I don't remember seeing the scene from the TC where the kids find the homeless man, but I could have just missed it.
Old 09-23-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-ray.com review
Old 11-08-11, 11:42 AM

Can anyone tell me whether the standard Blu keepcase was housed in a cardboard slipcase, and/or whether that might still be available from places like Amazon?

I normally don't care about this stuff, but I'm a big fan of GDT and somehow missed the announcement and pre-order on this...
Old 11-08-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No slipcover.
Old 11-27-11, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

finally got it.

I actually really like the Video and Audio quality. You can really tell that it was intended to have that look. If it didn't..well it sure as hell looks great. Wonder what stock was used for it? Anyway...got into "Reclaiming Mimic"..still haven't dwelled onto the commentary...but I'm sure it'll be A+ material in there...GDT's commentaries are always great. Also the other features I'm still not in yet...

onto the film...I really liked it. There is a change in the 3rd act that..does depress me a bit but it still makes great use w/ Sorvino's character. She should've died. No doubt about it. THOUGH...even with that great change...her character was pretty solid. No cliche from her afterwards. The happy ending is kind of weird but everything after getting picked up by the bug till the happy ending...is actually pretty good. It's like Sunshine when thinking about a change in tone. While Sunshine's tone came immediate and didn't break the "rules" of the world...it wasn't needed. BUT...it was still damn good. Just...such a change from the great established nature that it isn't preferred...I still like it a lot..just wish..it stayed all serious on me. Mimic's change did though...it...broke the rules that it made and it shouldn't have. With that change though...it carried on very strongly till the ending. I wonder wtf actually happenend in the production of it..if it was some change that wasn't promising to GDT and he just had to roll w/ it..or if that was intended. EITHER way it's really good.

These 2 moments are my only "bad" moments:
The act of getting taken by the bug doesn't bother me...that was a great a moment, visually speaking. It's just breaking the rules and it hit the story cliche of the character surviving what should've been their obvious death established by the rules in the film.

And the happy ending...it...I dunno...was kind of predictable happy ending. The guy fell in the water...so I assumed he survived and I was fine w/ that...it was just the way it was done...that happy ending. Predictable..well shot and lit..but...I saw the kid going to hug them..it was that predictable.
Old 11-27-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I rented this out when it was originally first released in the late 90's, and didn't think much of it.

However, Del Torro has since impressed me quite a bit (at least Pan's Labyrinth did), and I've been curious to give this another look- especially since he is getting a chance to fashion it closer to his original vision. Was very tempted to pick it up at $10- but am glad I waited to get it for $5 now.

Looking forward to giving it another shot.
Old 03-26-13, 08:43 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

Still on the fence with this.

What is the general consensus regarding this DC? Is it worth replacing my TC with?
Old 03-26-13, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it's on BD and has a GDT commentary so yeah. Worlds better as a package as well.
Old 03-26-13, 09:43 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks SS, but what about the actual movie? Does the tone of the DC actually make it a better movie all told?
Old 03-26-13, 11:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I think so. But damn, this title has been $6.99, and $5 with the Best Buy U&S. Not a big gamble for this Del Toro movie. If you remotely like it, it's worth it, if anything for the upgraded picture and audio.