Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

For series, did you switch to BluRay in the middle?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 04-29-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm looking at the new South Park, and the person in me that likes things to be all uniform wants to pick up the DVD set, since all the other South Park seasons I own are on DVD. But now that I've switched over to BluRay, I'm torn. And I know this won't be the last time I run into this.. has everyone else just changed over mid-stream, as it were? Or kept going on DVD with certain shows/films?
Old 04-29-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: For series, did you switch to BluRay in the middle?

Nope no change for me, it would drive me crazy. Plus with companies putting out a season of Blu, and going back to DVD, I want consistency. Plus I have switched to waiting for complete series sets, so I pick up the best available. For example I have Battlestar Galatica and Star Trek on Blu, but 24 on DVD.
Old 04-29-11, 01:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I switched over to BD for Doctor Who when the series went HD after S4.
Old 04-29-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will switch over to Blu if it's available. I just want the best presentation when viewing it, not how nicely they match on the shelf (as much as I like uniformity).
Old 04-29-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

The only TV shows I have on blu are "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" (yea yea, these are mini-series). Everything else I have that is broadcast on TV is on DVD because 1) the uniformity, as someone mentioned 2)cheaper.

I do tend to go blu on every movie I buy now though.
Old 04-29-11, 01:49 PM
Political Exile

I only buy blu if it is an option
Old 04-29-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Supernatural I switched over with season three. Luckily the first season was released on BD and the second season is scheduled for release in June.
Old 04-29-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I switched after South Park started putting out Blu-ray's versions of the seasons starting with 12. It seems dumb to not get the better version just for uniformity. Plus other than the case being slightly shorter and thinner and a Blu-ray banner at the top the sets are similar looking to the DVD counterparts.

I also had Dexter seasons 1 and 2 on DVD first but decided I'd rather have the series on Blu-ray and switched over.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-29-11 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-29-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

That would drive me nuts to have different formats. If I've already started buying it on DVD, then I'll finish it out on DVD. Like The Venture Brothers, I'll very likely finish that out on DVD. It even bothers me a little to switch to Blu for a film series (I made sure to buy the Blu-ray of Toy Story 3 that included a DVD to go along with my TS 1 and 2 DVDs).
Old 04-29-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I like to keep it uniform as well, but if the Blu is relatively cheap, I'll go for that. I switched to Blu for Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother, and the Office just because of various sales. I bought a season or two of Lost and Battlestar Galactica, but then waited for the Blu sets to come out. I haven't been keeping up with Smallville, but I do have like 4 seasons on DVD... I think I'll just get a Blu complete set if/when it comes out.

What drives me nuts are my HD-DVD ones... I have most of the Harry Potter movies on HD-DVD and haven't bought any of the Blu-Rays since at this point I'll just wait for the final set. I have Heroes Season 1 on HD-DVD, season 2 on Blu ,and then just stopped.
Old 04-29-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For me it depends on the series (typically the genre). If it is something that would seriously benefit from the blu (vs SD) like "Battlestar Galactica" and "Supernatural" I typically upgrade. But for sitcoms like "The Simpsons" or "How I Met Your Mother" I just stick w/ the SD-DVDs, especially since they are cheaper on release day.
Old 04-29-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I switched to HD DVD for a season of Smallville then Blu after that. Lost I think I switched to Blu somewhere mid-series (season 4)?

I think the only TV show I've chosen DVD over Blu was The Walking Dead since it was very cheap.
Old 04-29-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I continued with DVDs for House, The Office, and The Simpsons.

I figured if i'm going to double dip/upgrade I'll just wait for the Complete Series, like I did with Lost.

Plus you get the odd one-off releases like Rescue Me S.3 or Prison Break.
Old 04-29-11, 03:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Doesn't matter to me. I want the content, the type of disc is completely meaningless.
Old 04-29-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah I did for Entourage. It's the only applicable show, since most of the others I have completed, or have them all on Blu only.

Edit: Always Sunny I bought on DVD since it was shot on SD, for the newest season I will buy the BD.

Last edited by bluetoast; 04-29-11 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-29-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've gone to blu-ray for everything that gets released in that format, some series that meant rebuying older seasons if applicable (Supernatural s1 and eventually 2, weeds s1 etc.) others that have been blu-ray from the start were no brainers. The trickier ones like The Office, Entourage, South Park etc. I've gone with blu-ray from there on out - I'd rather have the show look better when I watch it, rather than the packaging match.
Old 04-29-11, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

I don't care about packaging at all. Content is what matters, and I go with whatever has the best.

I watch the discs, not the boxes.
Old 04-29-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smallville - 1st five/six Seasons in DVD, last 4 or 5 seasons are in BR. BR much better, "Play All" is better on BR, more eps to watch at one time.

BofB - DVD, BofB P - BR

Walking Dead - BR (I think it was $21.99)
Old 04-29-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it's on BD, I buy it on BD...Unless it's just an overpriced, bad quality, upconvert (I'm looking at you "It's Sunny in Philadelphia").
Old 04-29-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't run into that problem. The only odd one for me that might apply would be Rescue Me and I'd pick it up on DVD.
Old 04-30-11, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

If there's a Blu-ray, I'm getting the Blu-ray. I have no problems having Ventures Bros and Metalocalypse 1 and 2 on DVD and 3 on BD (haven't gotten VB 4 yet, but will definitely get BD).
Old 04-30-11, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, I sure have. Did it with 24, South Park, Futurama and The Simpsons. Doesn't bother me.
Old 04-30-11, 07:57 AM

Most of my TV shows are on DVD, but I've started getting some newer sci-fi shows on blu (like Fringe S1 and S2).
I'm not wild about a mix of DVD and blu for TV series (or movies), but for the most part I find DVD is still fine for a lot of TV shows.
Justified, for example, is one of my favourites, but I don't feel like I'm losing out in a big way not having the blu version. Picked up Walking Dead on DVD because it was very cheap too.
I switched to blu for Supernatural, and replaced the DVD sets with blu, apart from the unreleased S2;
got Season 2 of True Blood on blu for a good price, but I still have Season 1 and 2 on DVD (S2 was autographed by Kristin Bauer)
Got S1 of Terminator SCC cheaply on blu, but S2 on DVD
Season 1-3 of The Unit on DVD and S4 on blu. But most of my TV shows are on DVD
Old 04-30-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by rkndkn
I will switch over to Blu if it's available. I just want the best presentation when viewing it
Exactly. The idea of wanting boxes to line up over actual quality is so far removed from anything I could possibly relate to.

I have several series split across DVD and Blu-ray sets. The Venture Bros., Supernatural, Burn Notice, and The Office immediately spring to mind, and I'm sure there are others if I stopped to think about it. I'd cheerfully say the same about Community and Parks & Recreation if Sony/Universal could be bothered to release those in high-def too.
Old 04-30-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone staying with DVD for The Simpsons to keep the packing the same obviously hasn't looked at the packaging over the years. I don't see how it can get any worse but they keep managing to show me.

That being said, cartoons like South Park and The Simpsons look much better in HD.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.