Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridge

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridge

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridg

Echo Bridge has lost all the rights to the Dimension/Miramax titles and rumor is all their titles have been transferred over to Lionsgate. Echo Bridge's website no longer lists any affiliation with Miramax and all their Miramax Blu-rays and DVDs have all been removed from their catalog.
Old 03-16-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridg

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Hopefully this is good news, considering Echo Bridge has been scraping the bottom of the barrel for a long time.
Lionsgate has, for the most part, commissioned new bonus materials for (most of) their Miramax releasing in addition to doing remastering work when possible (e.g. 7.1 sound remixes, Chicago has a brand new transfer, etc).

I would bet money it's a matter of time before Lionsgate just completely buys out Miramax, especially if this news is true. Wouldn't be the first studio they've absorbed and it probably wont be their last.
Old 03-16-14, 06:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Hopefully this is good news, considering Echo Bridge has been scraping the bottom of the barrel for a long time.
Considering how bad disc sales have been I can't really see this resulting in more new transfers. Seems to be little money it.
Old 03-17-14, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I expect Lionsgate to issue very few of the titles acquired from the lapsed EB deal on Blu-ray. They barely care anymore about their own catalog, much less the Miramax catalog.
Old 04-11-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's official. Lionsgate now controls the library. A slew of Dimension/Miramax titles are now available on VOD services from Lionsgate that Echo Bridge previously held the distribution rights to.

Come on Lionsgate. All I ask for is a special edition of The Faculty.
Old 04-11-14, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It's official. Lionsgate now controls the library. A slew of Dimension/Miramax titles are now available on VOD services from Lionsgate that Echo Bridge previously held the distribution rights to.

Come on Lionsgate. All I ask for is a special edition of The Faculty.
Meh. Can't imagine that amounting to anything catalog-wise. Does LG even release catalog titles anymore? The only thing on my radar catalog-wise is Revenge of the Nerds and Sleepaway Camp.

Last edited by Gizmo; 04-11-14 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-12-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Meh. Can't imagine that amounting to anything catalog-wise. Does LG even release catalog titles anymore?
The Little House on the Prairie seasons, the Diamond Edition of Chicago, the keepsake edition of Pride and Prejudice, Buffalo '66, and The Wicker Man are the only catalog titles they've released in 2014 and there are zero on the horizon.

However, they rereleased a bunch of their Miramax titles now as combo packs.
Old 04-12-14, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow.

I'd love for them to do good on FDTD. Also... Add every damn feature. Full Tilt Boogie too!
Old 04-12-14, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Apparently the Canadian FDTD Blu was an improvement.
Old 04-12-14, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Apparently the Canadian FDTD Blu was an improvement.
It is. That's the one I have. I actually watched it yesterday.
Old 04-12-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there were two Canadian FDTD Blu releases: one that used a master meant for TV broadcasts that used more natural color timing rather than the film's intended look, and another that would have been a slam-dunk if not for an audio dropout that was never corrected. I believe that 2nd Canadian release was still missing the Full Tilt Boogie doc too.

For what it's worth, the Echo Bridge Blu has the right color timing but 2.0 audio only, plus poor compression if you have that ridiculous 4-film disc.

There's still room for Lionsgate to release a definitive FDTD disc that improves on all previous releases without even producing new supplements. My ideal presentation would be a transfer with the proper color timing, 5.1 audio with no dropouts and all existing extras including Full Tilt Boogie. And I think the sequels are worth throwing on a second disc as well.

Basically FDTD on Blu-ray is a comedy of errors.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 04-12-14 at 10:42 PM.