Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: The Official Arrow Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Glad I held off because those audio issues are deal breaker for me. If they are correctable, maybe there will be a replacement program.
I just checked for the one instance mentioned in the review (other mentions were generally speaking and I need specifics) and based on my ears, sounds the same as the old Blu-ray which isn't a surprise since the audio was provided by MGM. And BTW, I didn't feel it was "garbled", that's just Reno's voice IMO. He has a strange, deep inflection.

If that deters you from buying, I think you're missing out. And as I said, the audio was given by MGM so it's not going to be corrected unless the studio has a different one laying around or Arrow decided to invest on restoring it.
Old 08-10-17, 06:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, I'm getting Ronin no matter what. I'm honestly surprised - and very happy - this movie is getting any kind of special edition treatment. If Arrow acknowledges the sound issues, so be it. But not a deal breaker for me.
Old 08-10-17, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I just checked for the one instance mentioned in the review (other mentions were generally speaking and I need specifics) and based on my ears, sounds the same as the old Blu-ray which isn't a surprise since the audio was provided by MGM. And BTW, I didn't feel it was "garbled", that's just Reno's voice IMO. He has a strange, deep inflection.

If that deters you from buying, I think you're missing out. And as I said, the audio was given by MGM so it's not going to be corrected unless the studio has a different one laying around or Arrow decided to invest on restoring it.
That changes things. The way it was phrased in the review it seemed like the reviewer was saying they were defects and specific to that release. I only have the old DVD and no other review I found mentions anything about sound issues with prior releases. If it's that way on the other BD, it's possible the original soundtrack has an issue, or the reviewer just exaggerated. Thanks for checking and posting.
Old 08-14-17, 12:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Has anyone seen the integral version of Re-Animator? any good? better than UR cut?
Old 08-14-17, 06:35 PM

now, that's a good looking combo...

Old 08-26-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Watched my UK version of Ronin (it's region free, too, for those that care) and it was great. The sound is the old ported version from MGM and I will say that the subwoofer/LFE channel is rather weak. It only kicks up during the car chases and during certain gun fights past the halfway mark -- for the majority of the film, it's non-existent. The new special features features terrific. The video, too.
Old 08-26-17, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Watched my UK version of Ronin (it's region free, too, for those that care) and it was great. The sound is the old ported version from MGM and I will say that the subwoofer/LFE channel is rather weak. It only kicks up during the car chases and during certain gun fights past the halfway mark -- for the majority of the film, it's non-existent. The new special features features terrific. The video, too.
there's an extra on De Niro, right? how's that?
Old 08-26-17, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
there's an extra on De Niro, right? how's that?

It's a weird tribute narrated by Tarantino from 1994 -- the fact that it's on here is weird, because Ronin is from 1998. I really like the interview with the cinematographer. Dude was already 40 years into his career when he shot Ronin.
Old 08-26-17, 09:06 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen the integral version of Re-Animator? any good? better than UR cut?
Not as good as the UR cut. Seeing the additional scenes put back into the movie is interesting, and it fills some plot holes about the way some characters act, but those extra 19 minutes make it draaaaag. The 86 minute UR cut is such a tight, fat-free film, it's understandable why Gordon cut most of those scenes out.

Still worth a watch if you're a big fan of the film and want to see a different take.
Old 08-29-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Noticed this new-ish Arrow Academy pre-order at Amazon UK. Presumably it's only for that region, but looks interesting, especially considering how Olive unceremoniously dumped all four of these on Blu-ray stateside:

Four Film Noir Classics Limited Edition
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074ZXJQK6/
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
- Limited Edition Dual Format Collection [2000 copies]
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of four film noir classics: The Dark Mirror (Robert Siodmak, 1946), Secret Beyond the Door (Fritz Lang, 1947), Force of Evil (Abraham Polonsky, 1948), and The Big Combo (Joseph H. Lewis, 1955)
- Commentaries on all films by leading scholars and critics Adrian Martin (on The Dark Mirror), Alan K. Rode (on Secret Beyond the Door), Glenn Kenny and Farran Smith Nehme (on Force of Evil), and Eddie Muller (on The Big Combo)
- Noah Isenberg on The Dark Mirror, the author and scholar provides a detailed analysis of the film
- Noah Isenberg on The Dark Mirror, the author and scholar provides a detailed analysis of the film
- Barry Keith Grant on Secret Beyond the Door, the author and scholar introduces the film
- The House of Lang: A visual essay on Fritz Lang s style by filmmaker David Cairns with a focus on his noir work
- Introduction to Force of Evil by Martin Scorsese
- An Autopsy on Capitalism: A visual essay on the production and reception of Force of Evil by Frank Krutnik, author of In a Lonely Street: Film noir, genre, masculinity
- Commentary on selected Force of Evil themes by Krutnik
- Geoff Andrew on The Big Combo, the critic and programmer offers an introduction to and analysis of the film
- Wagon Wheel Joe: A visual essay on director Joseph H. Lewis by filmmaker David Cairns
- The Big Combo original screenplay (BD/DVD-ROM content)
- Four radio plays
- Trailers
- Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Scott Saslow for all films
- Hardback book featuring new writing on all the films by noir experts and critics including Michael Brooke, Andrew Spicer, David Cairns and Tony Rayns and more [Limited Edition Exclusive]

Also, Arrow's November releases:
ArrowNov

Last edited by Brian T; 08-29-17 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-22-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 11-27-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

February releases:

Now this makes no sense. Arrow is apparently releasing a The Hitcher book this month. Not a BD.

I wonder if Arrow has the rights to release The Hitcher on BD.
Old 11-27-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if Arrow has the rights to release The Hitcher on BD.
They better, otherwise it's a dumb fuck cocktease. Who cares about the book when you can't get the BD anywhere?
Old 11-27-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow!! The Hitcher!!! Let's hope it looks better than the dvd, which was the worst looking dvd I ever owned.
Old 11-27-17, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Wow!! The Hitcher!!! Let's hope it looks better than the dvd, which was the worst looking dvd I ever owned.
Nope it's a book as I said above.

That's why I was curious if Arrow had the rights to the BD or not.
Old 11-27-17, 08:55 PM

Why the fuck would they advertise a book? A book of what?? This has to come out in SE bluray!
Old 11-28-17, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The author's a decent writer, and has contributed to disc supplements and commentaries over the years. I'm hopeful that the book is a companion piece to a loaded and long-overdue Blu-Ray set.

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detai...w-books-/AB005
Old 11-28-17, 11:07 AM

i fucking want a features packed Bluray of the original The Hitcher. it's a fucking genre classic. i recorded this supposedly in HD on one of the cable channels and it was unwatchable. i didn't know what the hell transfer that was on an HD channel (don't remember which). it was a box, 4 black bars all around. i didn't know what the hell was going on and i was so disappointed.

i wrote them, we'll see what they say...
Old 11-28-17, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i fucking want a features packed Bluray of the original The Hitcher. it's a fucking genre classic. i recorded this supposedly in HD on one of the cable channels and it was unwatchable. i didn't know what the hell transfer that was on an HD channel (don't remember which). it was a box, 4 black bars all around. i didn't know what the hell was going on and i was so disappointed.

Was probably still better than the dvd. When I got my first projector, a Sanyo Z3, I grabbed the nearest disc off the shelf to try it out. That disc happened to be the Hitcher. I thought the projector was broke the PQ was so bad.
Old 11-28-17, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Was probably still better than the dvd. When I got my first projector, a Sanyo Z3, I grabbed the nearest disc off the shelf to try it out. That disc happened to be the Hitcher. I thought the projector was broke the PQ was so bad.
no, was much worse than dvd. much...
Old 11-28-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

If they're still negotiating for the rights to the movie, they may not be able to comment on it publicly yet.
Old 11-28-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haven't watched my Momentum 2-disc R2 UK set in a while, but I recall it being considerably better than that old HBO travesty, and carrying some nice supplements I trust Arrow will see fit to salvage (commentaries, 40-minute doc, short films by Harmon and Hauer).
Old 11-28-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Why the fuck would they advertise a book? A book of what?? This has to come out in SE bluray!
Arrow has been dipping into the genre publishing business of late.
Old 11-28-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

If Arrow wants to one up the Shout Factory Blu, they should also include the open matte version (like it was on the Criterion Laserdisc) of Carrie for all the pervs.
Old 12-28-17, 10:39 PM

Anyone know if there is a region free UK version of The Apartment with same transfer and extras as this, I guess, now out of print, US release at decent price?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.