Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official Arrow Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by zombeaner
Obsession was done by the same house that did the Arrow Academy Blu-rays
Judging by the packaging, it's a regular Arrow release. Academy releases are dual-format and say 'Arrow Academy' across the top.

Edit: Oh, I see what you're saying. How did you know that? Why can't all Arrow releases be sent to the processing house used by Academy? They seem like two entirely different companies, in terms of their approach. Arrow is Kino to Arrow Academy's Criterion. Sort of.
Old 07-01-11, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since most of the releases are around 10 pounds I went ahead and ordered all the Arrow relleases I didnt have (which was all of the except Caligula) and I went ahead and got New York Ripper (Shameless Version) and Primal & Doghouse. I ended up spending $240 on 14 blu's. I could have probally gotten them cheaper from the US but I wanted the special packaging that Arrow/Shameless uses
Old 07-01-11, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Since most of the releases are around 10 pounds I went ahead and ordered all the Arrow relleases I didnt have (which was all of the except Caligula) and I went ahead and got New York Ripper (Shameless Version) and Primal & Doghouse. I ended up spending $240 on 14 blu's. I could have probally gotten them cheaper from the US but I wanted the special packaging that Arrow/Shameless uses
Saw a picture of the Shameless BD of New York Ripper. Gotta love that Yellow Case!

Sucks it couldn't get past the BBFC uncut, but I read that it has added footage that the BU release doesn't have, making it some sort of weird (but longer) cut of the film.
Old 07-01-11, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

decided to pick up Phenomena after reading the comments here. Cheers.
Old 07-01-11, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Judging by the packaging, it's a regular Arrow release. Academy releases are dual-format and say 'Arrow Academy' across the top.

Edit: Oh, I see what you're saying. How did you know that? Why can't all Arrow releases be sent to the processing house used by Academy? They seem like two entirely different companies, in terms of their approach. Arrow is Kino to Arrow Academy's Criterion. Sort of.
There's an insider (who doesn't name exactly where he works) over at the Blu-ray.com forum. He's mentioned working on all of those titles. The Italian stuff seems to be universally problematic, and it seems to stem from the masters provided to Arrow and Blue Underground by the Italian rights holders. The Blu-rays that come from countries other than Italy seem fine for the most part.
Old 07-01-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's an insider (who doesn't name exactly where he works) over at the Blu-ray.com forum. He's mentioned working on all of those titles. The Italian stuff seems to be universally problematic, and it seems to stem from the masters provided to Arrow and Blue Underground by the Italian rights holders. The Blu-rays that come from countries other than Italy seem fine for the most part.
Interesting. I guess that's why Vamp looked so good, comparatively.
Old 07-05-11, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From the AV Forums review of Funhouse:
Well, folks, Arrow's inconsistency has been quite liberally addressed on many occasions, and not least by myself. But it gives me terrific pleasure to say that their transfer of The Funhouse has none of the issues that have plagued some of their previous releases. In fact, I was very highly satisfied and impressed with how the film looks in this AVC encode. It represents possibly the most faithful and film-like of their releases for quite some time.
Old 07-05-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alternate Funhouse covers:

Drooling fang-mouth for me!
Old 07-05-11, 11:54 PM

I got all the Arrow movies for under 10 pounds except Tenebrae & The Bird With The Crystal Plumage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price

1 Doghouse [Blu-ray] [2009][... £5.06

1 Dawn of the Dead [Blu-ray]... £7.91

1 Day of the Dead [Blu-ray] ... £8.33

1 City of the Living Dead [B... £8.99

1 Tenebrae [Blu-ray] [1982] £12.49

1 Deep Red [Blu-ray] [1975] ... £8.74

1 The Bird with the Crystal ... £12.49

1 Dario Argento's Inferno [B... £8.74

1 Phenomena [Blu-ray] £8.74

1 A Bay of Blood [Blu-ray] [... £8.74

1 The Beyond [Blu-ray] [1981] £8.74

1 Vamp [Blu-ray] [1986] £10.83

1 The New York Ripper - Fan ... £9.94

1 Primal [Blu-ray] £6.24

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: £125.98
Delivery and handling: £15.95
Total: £141.93

Payment Total: USD 237.69**

Plus I picked up a brand new copy of Battle Royale Limited Edition for $60 off a seller here so i am now set until The Funhouse comes out
Old 07-06-11, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice haul. Despite the transfer issues on many of their Italian discs, they're all worth it for under 10 pounds each, considering all of the extras included. Vamp looks very good, and is a fun film to boot.
Old 07-06-11, 07:54 PM

I haven't seen Vamp, and I skipped it when it came out, maybe I should give it a try.
Old 07-06-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen Vamp, and I skipped it when it came out, maybe I should give it a try.
It's no classic, but if you're into goofy, tongue-in-cheek B movies, it's an enjoyable ride. Plus the garish, neon 80's look is nicely represented on the Blu-ray.
Old 07-06-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, Vamp is worth checking out if you're into 80's horror. It's pretty cheesy, but in a fun way. Jonathan Elias' score is a lot of fun too.
Old 07-07-11, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Vamp a lot, it sort of reminds me of "After Hours" at times, which is one of my all time favorite movies.
Old 07-07-11, 07:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I somehow in my order of Tenebrae also got a DVD copy - I'm NOT sending it back since the postage to the UK I assume would be on the high side - anyone want to buy DVD edition - I'm selling it off at $18 (I'm assuming the disc is Region 0 - no indication on the disc that's it's Region 2 unless someone can verify this for me, but it's still PAL)

Last edited by Giles; 07-07-11 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-15-11, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-ray.com review of Obsession
Old 07-15-11, 12:22 PM

I got mine a couple of days ago but won't be able to watch it for a week or so
Old 07-15-11, 07:51 PM

I got my Tenebrae for £9.33 since I pre-ordered it when it first went up last year. Also, just placed an order for Funhouse @zavvi for £15.17 after a 10% coupon they sent me. Still waiting for Obsession to arrive from them (£14.85).
Old 07-24-11, 04:38 PM

Hello, I live in Canada and I'm looking to start collecting all the Arrow Video Blu-rays and DVD's. It would be really helpful if you guys could tell me where the best place to get/order them is. Thanks a lot.
Old 07-24-11, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazon UK
Old 08-05-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Outsider review of Funhouse
Old 08-09-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Bleeding Cool

London Rioters Burn Down Stock Centre Of Several Independent Film Distributors – UPDATED x 5

The stockpile of several small and independent DVD and Blu-ray labels appears to have been burned down by the mobs of looting and rioting crooks in London. Here’s the BBC’s footage of what is said to be the Sony DADC and PIAS warehouse and distribution centre in flames.

Amongst the DVD labels who had their stock on the premises are Dogwoof Films, Pecadillo Pictures, Terracotta, and Guerilla. At the moment, there’s some confusion on Twitter as to how extensive the damage is, but it would seem that these small labels have been hit severely.

UPDATE: And we can sadly add Arrow Films, one of Bleeding Cool’s favourite distributors to the list. They held all of their stock in this centre.

SECOND UPDATE: And Metrodome, Revolver and Kaleidoscope. They too lost stock as a result of this arson.

THIRD UPDATE: And now Network are revealed to have lost stock too. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

FOURTH UPDATE: All Warp DVD stock and BFI DVD and Blu-ray stock was also in the warehouse.

FIFTH UPDATE: We can sadly add Crabtree films, Artificial Eye and Exposure Cinema to the list of those to lose their stock.
Old 08-09-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, that sure sucks.
Old 08-14-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Extras on Maniac Cop:

- Brand new High Definition transfer of film
- Exclusive UK introduction to the film from star Tom Atkins
- Doomed Detective: Tom Atkins on Maniac Cop
- Lady of the Night: Laurene Landon remembers Maniac Cop
- Scripting a new Slasher Super-Villain: Larry Cohen on Matt Cordell
- Trailer
The three featurettes are different from the three included on the upcoming Synapse disc, but it looks like the Arrow release won't include the additional scenes, and neither will include the DVD's commentary track.
Old 08-14-11, 01:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
London Rioters Burn Down Stock Centre Of Several Independent Film Distributors – UPDATED x 5

The stockpile of several small and independent DVD and Blu-ray labels appears to have been burned down by the mobs of looting and rioting crooks in London. Here’s the BBC’s footage of what is said to be the Sony DADC and PIAS warehouse and distribution centre in flames.

Amongst the DVD labels who had their stock on the premises are Dogwoof Films, Pecadillo Pictures, Terracotta, and Guerilla. At the moment, there’s some confusion on Twitter as to how extensive the damage is, but it would seem that these small labels have been hit severely.

UPDATE: And we can sadly add Arrow Films, one of Bleeding Cool’s favourite distributors to the list. They held all of their stock in this centre.

SECOND UPDATE: And Metrodome, Revolver and Kaleidoscope. They too lost stock as a result of this arson.

THIRD UPDATE: And now Network are revealed to have lost stock too. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

FOURTH UPDATE: All Warp DVD stock and BFI DVD and Blu-ray stock was also in the warehouse.

FIFTH UPDATE: We can sadly add Crabtree films, Artificial Eye and Exposure Cinema to the list of those to lose their stock.
what horrible horrible news

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.