Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek/Alien/Back to the Future DVD to Blu Questions

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-23-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick question. My wife got me the Alien, Back to the Future and Star Trek (first six movies) Blu sets for Xmas. What's missing on these from their DVD counterparts?

On Trek, best I can tell is that they ported everything over except the text commentary tracks? Is that right?

And yes, I've Googled. I can rarely find a definitive answer. Help?
Old 01-23-11, 02:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Trek/Alien/Back to the Future DVD to Blu Questions

Star Trek: TMP is the Theatrical cut so they didn't bring over the commentary that was on the Director's Cut DVD. Wrath of Khan is a different cut too but I think they just edited the commentary slightly for the Blu-ray.
Old 01-23-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the only thing Back to the Future is missing is the then-new "Looking Back at the Future" documentary from the 2-disc Back to the Future DVD. Beyond that, maybe some text stuff or outdated promos.

The Alien Blu-Ray set is only missing like five minutes worth of content. I think The Digital Bits mentions the few teensy tiny MIA bits.
Old 01-24-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Star Trek Wrath of Khan should be the theatrical cut. The old 2 disc DVD is the director's cut which closer resembles the cut that used to show on ABC years ago. I used to have a VHS I recorded off TV that I probably watched a hundred times or more.

Also, The Undiscovered Country is the theatrical cut, which I think is the first time it's been available on home video (on any format).
Old 01-24-11, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Also, The Undiscovered Country is the theatrical cut, which I think is the first time it's been available on home video (on any format).
First time in OAR as well, correct?
Old 01-24-11, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorgan
First time in OAR as well, correct?
I think so. Just going from memory, it was 2.35 in the theaters, but it was actually filmed Super35 so for home video, the mattes were opened up for 4x3 transfers and to about 2.00x1 for any letterbox transfers. Pretty sure I've read the reviews that state it's back to 2.35.

I didn't get the Blu box, but I found a cheap used copy of the DVD version that I got to go along with all my 2 disc DVD versions. I wanted the theatrical cuts of TMP and TUC, but I have yet to find time to put a single one of them in my player.
Old 01-25-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I think so. Just going from memory, it was 2.35 in the theaters, but it was actually filmed Super35 so for home video, the mattes were opened up for 4x3 transfers and to about 2.00x1 for any letterbox transfers. Pretty sure I've read the reviews that state it's back to 2.35.
Yes, that's correct. Star Trek VI is the first time the movie has been presented in its theatrical cut and at the original 2.35:1 ratio on video.