Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jackass 3 >>> 03/08

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Jackass 3 >>> 03/08

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-11, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jackass 3 >>> 03/08

Originally Posted by DVD Active
The 2-disc DVD and Blu-ray/DVD Combo releases will also include a 3D edition of the movie. Extras will include a MTV Making Of Special, deleted scenes, outtakes, and a Time Magazine Trailer. The Blu-ray/DVD Combo release will also include a digital copy of the film.
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/jackass-3.html

Last edited by Imail724; 01-22-11 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-22-11, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Jackass 3 >>> 03/08

You can't img-link DVDActive images, you gotta save it and put it on Photobucket.

Weird that the two versions that include 3D don't have the title as "jackass 3D".

I also agree with the commenter that the 1-disc DVD art trumps the 2-disc artwork. They should've just kept the black border on the 1-disc with the chicken and debris flying out of the border.
Old 01-22-11, 12:31 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Because Jackass 3D will be a Best Buy exclusive release. Calling it '3D' when it's not is not what what the studios want to do (i.e. confuse consumers). That's why the Blu-ray disc will not have 'fake' 3D like the DVD disc will.
Old 01-22-11, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Because Jackass 3D will be a Best Buy exclusive release.
Where did you hear that?
Old 01-22-11, 01:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Imail724
Where did you hear that?
It's currently just 'rumored'. But past Paramount 3D titles have been exclusive (The Last Airbender), and Jackass can't be a BD Player exclusive because it's rated R. We won't know till release week (like 'My Soul to Take'). Retailers are not allowed to advertise it until that point (like with Alice in Wonderland, Almost Famous etc.)

Personally, I'm hoping Jackass 1/2 come out as well. Paramount shows no interest in catalog unless it's retailer exclusive, so maybe Best Buy will step up to the plate.
Old 01-22-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because Jackass 3D will be a Best Buy exclusive release. Calling it '3D' when it's not is not what what the studios want to do (i.e. confuse consumers). That's why the Blu-ray disc will not have 'fake' 3D like the DVD disc will.
That's not what DVDActive says, in the OP of this very thread. It says both the 2-disc and the Blu will have 3D, which is also indicated by the cover art: the difference is that the 2-disc art "pops out" of the border, and the jackass logo with the red and blue glasses is present on both, which would be a very odd inclusion on the Blu-Ray art if there was no anaglyph 3D included. But it makes sense, now that you mention it, that they don't want to confuse the new 3D with old 3D.
Old 01-22-11, 03:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
That's not what DVDActive says, in the OP of this very thread. It says both the 2-disc and the Blu will have 3D, which is also indicated by the cover art: the difference is that the 2-disc art "pops out" of the border, and the jackass logo with the red and blue glasses is present on both, which would be a very odd inclusion on the Blu-Ray art if there was no anaglyph 3D included. But it makes sense, now that you mention it, that they don't want to confuse the new 3D with old 3D.
Yes, the included DVD disc will be 'fake' 3D and will have the included glasses. The Blu-ray disc will be in 2D only and not have 'fake' 3D. At least that's what I was told, and who knows if it changes. But not having it called Jackass 3D is clearly on purpose.

From what I was told, going forward, there will be no more 'fake' 3D releases on Blu-ray by the major studios. They put a stop to that in 2010 when Monsters Vs. Aliens, Cloudy with a Chance, Alice in Wonderland, Avatar etc. hit Blu-ray and no 'fake' 3D crap was included like in previous releases (Hannah Montana, Jonas Bros, My Bloody Valentine etc.). This is so they don't confuse consumers who already have Blu-ray and not Blu-ray 3D into accidently buying Blu-ray 3D discs that don't have the 'fake' glasses included. IIRC, all of those 'fake' 3D BDs are now discontinued and only 2D editions are being pressed.

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced 1-disc DVD, 2-disc DVD, and Blu-ray/DVD Combo releases of Jackass 3 for March 8th. Each will include unrated and theatrical editions of the film. The 2-disc DVD and Blu-ray/DVD Combo releases will also include a 3D edition of the movie.
Notice how they didn't say '3D for Blu-ray and DVD' but simply 3D. This might change, of course, but I doubt it. Paramount is only interested in releasing 3D if it's in a bundle with a CE (because they pay for a ton of costs associated) or a retailer exclusive (The Last Airbender). Best Buy will be carrying more, as it appears My Soul to Take (Universal) will also be a Best Buy exclusive. They look to be playing the game as well as Coraline was previously a Panasonic exclusive for 6 months while the Samsungs are 1 year. So it's possible we will see Monsters vs Aliens hit retail sometime in March if Paramount gives a crap.

Edit: And look how Amazon lists the Blu-ray:
Jackass 3 (Two-Disc 3D DVD / Blu-ray Combo + Digital Copy

3D DVD.

while other 'real' 3D BDs they list:
Tangled (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy)
Despicable Me (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
Resident Evil: Afterlife [Blu-ray 3D]
Saw 3D: The Final Chapter (Two-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
Old 01-22-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*shrugs*

I have no need for an "official" 3D version of the movie, nor do I have any desire to watch the "fake" 3D version either.

With that said, I'll get the Blu-Ray.
Old 01-22-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From what I was told, going forward, there will be no more 'fake' 3D releases on Blu-ray by the major studios.
This must just go for the US, as titles are still seeing anaglyph versions being released on Blu-Ray in the UK. ie piranha.
Spoilered for size.
Spoiler:
Old 01-22-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't think the 3D added anything; I'd prefer buying it in 2D. Not interested in having a dick fly out at my face at home.
Old 01-22-11, 07:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
This must just go for the US, as titles are still seeing anaglyph versions being released on Blu-Ray in the UK. ie piranha.
Spoilered for size.
Spoiler:
Could be. Also because 3D sales around the world seem non-existent.

Well know soon enough. Still banking on real 3D being a BB exclusive. That's the only way Paramount will release titles nowadays.
Old 01-23-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sweet to heard been announced... I'm looking forward to getting copy of this for my collection (got both Jackass movie DVD).
Old 01-23-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Any news on the first two coming to blu?

I'm surprised they aren't coming at the same time.
Old 01-24-11, 12:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by anomynous
Any news on the first two coming to blu?

I'm surprised they aren't coming at the same time.
Paramount and catalog release are not really ever in same sentence anymore.
Old 02-27-11, 11:35 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
So I have this.

The DVD is in 3D. The BD is 100% 2D.
Old 02-28-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pass on the anaglyph. Proper 3-D PPV showings (for 3-D sets) start next week anyway.
Old 03-07-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I plowed through the deleted scenes and outtakes. Very funny. It looks like the making of is extended from what was shown on MTV by 5 minutes. I can't wait to see what was held back for 3.5
Old 03-07-11, 07:17 PM
Suspended

Are they doing a 3.5?

Looks like a 3D version *might* pop up overseas....Seems Paramount is very un-interested in 3D. Fox also passed on releasing Narnia 3D on Blu-ray. Not good news for the format.
Old 03-07-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are they doing a 3.5?

Looks like a 3D version *might* pop up overseas....Seems Paramount is very un-interested in 3D. Fox also passed on releasing Narnia 3D on Blu-ray. Not good news for the format.
3.5 starts airing online in 10 minute segments next month, with a DVD (BD?) release to follow. The trailer for it is up in the Jackass 3D movie thread.