Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

3D-ing catalog titles?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

3D-ing catalog titles?

Old 01-16-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3D-ing catalog titles?

I'm just throwing this out here so forgive my ignorance. I've read a number of people stating that blu-ray is good enough and 1080P is about as far as we can go as consumers. With that in mind, what is the next step?

3D already seems to be that next logical leap for new releases. Getting everyone to re-buy blu-rays at higher prices, not to mention new TVs and in some cases, new blu-ray players.

If 3D is the next big thing, do you think the studios will ever entertain the wild idea of 3Dizing catalog titles to get us to buy movies all over again?
Old 01-16-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Re: 3D-ing catalog titles?

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
If 3D is the next big thing, do you think the studios will ever entertain the wild idea of 3Dizing catalog titles to get us to buy movies all over again?
Possibly on a small scale, but I think that'll be a much tougher sell, especially since hardware 3D conversion in players/TVs will probably do that sort of fake 3D about as well as professional 2D->3D conversion (which are generally rushed) at some point. There seems to be so little interest in catalog titles on Blu-ray as it is, and 3D-at-home isn't setting the world on fire. Combining the two doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

Whatever the next big thing is in theaters (motion simulation? 4D? maybe an IMAX-like emphasis on height and panoramic visuals? interactivity?), I think it'll concentrate more on day/date releases and maybe a handful of very prominent catalog titles. Increased availability of high-def catalog titles for streaming and/or downloading will probably be the big move on that front. That's already underway, of course, but it's a lock that we'll see more of that. Maybe Warner Archive and all will make way for Blu-ray burn-on-demand services since there's so much competition for shelf space in stores. I'm just having a hard time picturing how the same movies that have already been repackaged over and over again can be freshened up yet again. There'll always be new trends, but I think those'll focus on as-yet-unreleased stuff, not dipping back into the same well again.
Old 01-16-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You know it's coming with Star Wars and Titanic at some point. Personally I have no interest in it as I see it as like colorization. At least, I don't see the Criterion Collection doing it.

The next step, though, is really 4K. I think that will happen eventually, but only as a niche format.
Old 01-16-11, 01:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

it's no new news though that Cameron is in the process NOW of transferring Titanic into 3D - in an interview in Home Theater Magazine, he said it's going through a whole new 4K process.

I agree we will see 4K making leaps and bounds not only in home theatre applications but also with Texas Instruments implementing 4K processors in it's DLP units - the need for studios to downrez to 2K is essentially over with the release of 4K DLP digital projection.
Old 01-16-11, 01:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Select catalog. And by select I mean maybe 5-10 a year. It's just too expensive for the chance to sell 10k (if that) copies. Since 3D was not a big seller in Q4, it likely killed any real prospect for 2011. As mentioned above, select catalog is coming out. But the majority...nope. Which is probably a good thing because if too many poor 3D catalog offerings come out, it will just hurt the really good ones sales. We've already got several poor 3D titles out there.
Old 01-16-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cameron has been talking for years about converting Titanic into 3D. When he was doing the rounds of tearing everyone a new asshole for those releasing rushed post-converts to theaters to bank off the 3D process, he explicitly stated the only way to have a 3D post-covert work is if one spends at least eighteen months (if not longer) on the post-conversion. Obviously to make sure every shot comes off looking like its 3D rather than just running the film through a computer and see what sticks.

If Cameron succeeds with his Titanic 3D post-convert experiment, I could see more studios following suit. Hopefully they won't they'll follow his strategy rather than just start rushing catalog titles through the 3D process (like with new theatrical releases), but we'll see.

What catalog titles have been confirmed for 3D in 2011 besides Disney's Beauty and the Best (which a 3D post-convert has existed for almost a year now) and The Lion King?
Old 01-16-11, 02:23 PM
Suspended

Animated is easier to convert. Live action appears much more difficult. And 3D is already primarily an animated marketplace and consumers will get bored buying 2006 animated films in 3D for $30.
Old 01-16-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Okay, I would be interested in 3D if it's computer animated. That sort of thing is already 3D in the computer, so it's just a matter of re-rendering it from two camera angles instead of one. Live-action is what has to be processed to what it might look like.
Old 01-16-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Animated is easier to convert. Live action appears much more difficult. And 3D is already primarily an animated marketplace and consumers will get bored buying 2006 animated films in 3D for $30.
I'm pretty sure most consumers are already bored (or pissed, take your pick) that to even get 3D titles, you have to:

1. Purchase a brand new, 3D-capabale television.
2. Purchase multiple 3D glasses.
3. Purchase a brand new, 3D-capable Blu-ray player (unless you own a PS3).

One is looking at, what, $2000 (give or take) to be able to start playing 3D Blu-rays properly?
Old 01-16-11, 06:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm pretty sure most consumers are already bored (or pissed, take your pick) that to even get 3D titles, you have to:

1. Purchase a brand new, 3D-capabale television.
2. Purchase multiple 3D glasses.
3. Purchase a brand new, 3D-capable Blu-ray player (unless you own a PS3).

One is looking at, what, $2000 (give or take) to be able to start playing 3D Blu-rays properly?
Well yeah. Aside from multiple glasses (I only need 2 and my TV came with it like most do), everything is really is required. But if you're in the market for a new TV, a little bit more will get you a pair of glasses and (typically) a free 3D BD Player.
Old 01-16-11, 07:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glasses won't be necessary if this guy's invention gets off the ground:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uef17zOCDb8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uef17zOCDb8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 01-16-11, 07:42 PM
Suspended

Glasses-free TV is still years away from being affordable. Let's see if 3D even sticks around that long. After a poor Q4, it does not appear the CEs are really happy.
Old 01-17-11, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Glasses-free TV is still years away from being good.
Fixed.
Old 01-17-11, 03:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
They are already doing it. Star Wars, Titanic, Beauty and the Beast and other disney films.
Old 01-17-11, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Glasses won't be necessary if this guy's invention gets off the ground:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uef17zOCDb8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uef17zOCDb8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
so you substitute glasses for little diodes you stick to your temples that make your eyes flutter like crazy?
Old 01-17-11, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glasses-free TV is still years away from being affordable. Let's see if 3D even sticks around that long. After a poor Q4, it does not appear the CEs are really happy.
I think that depends on who you talk to. Reports are that 3D sales weren't stellar, but still above what they expected. 3D sold more in Q4 than Blu-ray did at this time in it's lifespan. Companies know that it's just a beginning format and, just like any new home video technology, will need time to penetrate the market in a huge way. Blu-ray is only starting to be huge. 3D will take even longer, as people need to buy all new equipment (most of which just purchased a new HDTV in the last few years). With the announcement of TVs that take passive glasses and as prices come down over the years, 3D will probably stick around for a while. It will just take a few years to get going (as with most new technology). Remember how people said that Blu-ray wasn't going to stick around long because of the poor sales in the first year or two? Now look at it. You have to give it time before making any real decisions.

Last edited by obidawsn; 01-17-11 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-17-11, 08:01 AM
Banned

It seems a big waste of time just for a fad that will be gone in a few years.
Old 01-17-11, 08:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
They are already doing it. Star Wars, Titanic, Beauty and the Beast and other disney films.
BatB has been 3d for years. Cameron has been working on Titanic for years. Star Wars is new. But that's not really a ton of catalog.
Old 01-17-11, 09:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by obidawsn
I think that depends on who you talk to. Reports are that 3D sales weren't stellar, but still above what they expected. 3D sold more in Q4 than Blu-ray did at this time in it's lifespan. Companies know that it's just a beginning format and, just like any new home video technology, will need time to penetrate the market in a huge way. Blu-ray is only starting to be huge. 3D will take even longer, as people need to buy all new equipment (most of which just purchased a new HDTV in the last few years). With the announcement of TVs that take passive glasses and as prices come down over the years, 3D will probably stick around for a while. It will just take a few years to get going (as with most new technology). Remember how people said that Blu-ray wasn't going to stick around long because of the poor sales in the first year or two? Now look at it. You have to give it time before making any real decisions.
They are propping up 3D. Blu-ray didn't sell as well because it was still $800ish for a BD player in Q4 2006 (with a competing product with exclusive studio support) and that's a tougher pill to swallow over getting a 3D TV for $1,000. An entire TV that can play TV, DVDs, Blu-rays etc. or a BD player with a selection of 50-80 movies?

Blu-ray still isn't what the CEs wanted. Its essentially failed and is now relying on Combo pack (DVD+DC) to even double last years already-low revenue (and that's with millions of BD players and PS3s sold in 2010). OD won't be around forever, but TVs (display devices) at least will be. But 3D just does not have enough compelling content to move it. Its got a very rough road ahead of it.
Old 01-17-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just as a side note, if 3d is the next boat that I'm supposed to jump on, then I'll be more than happy to ignore it completely and step aside. I still don't see how 3d is anything more than a niche market. I wanted to jump on the blu-ray train, and I'm enjoying converting many of my dvd titles over. But 3d? No and hell no. The idea of changing catalog titles that has nothing to do with 3d into 3d is the equivalent of colorization and screams bad idea.
Old 01-17-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All studios would do with 3-D is make things pop out at you with the technology. So at best they would make old movies look like moving pop up books. Personally, that's what I hate about the current trend of 3D movies. They just have crap coming out at you all the time and lack any true depth to the picture. I think Avatar was the only movie I saw that had real depth to the image. Others just fall flat.
Old 01-17-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

ScentScape! http://www.redferret.net/?p=25158