Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

looking at the two seperate shots of the "Hobbits' confirms even more what I've said....the EE transfer is pathethic and whoever allowed it to be released should be shot. I've seen home recorded VHS tapes that look better than that.
Old 06-20-11, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah...I'm not digging this. They made it way too fucking dark in places and that damn tint.
Old 06-20-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

What's all the hoo-ha about? That green snow looks perfectly natural.
Old 06-20-11, 10:45 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks who's review got linked by the Official LOTR Facebook page?

http://www.facebook.com/lordoftheringstrilogy?sk=wall

And the money keeps rolling in...
Old 06-20-11, 10:47 PM
Suspended

Some puked on Fellowships title screen...

Old 06-20-11, 11:36 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm might hold onto my DVD EE for a bit :/
Old 06-20-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
More comparison screens keep popping up.

Originally Posted by MEB
I know you didn't direct your question at me, but I'll answer it.

All I care about is that the light green tint that I'm seeing (in video clips and screen shots taken directly from the EE Blu-rays) looks completely unnatural. It looks like crap. The second image below looks HORRIBLE.

Theatrical Blu-ray:

Extended Blu-ray:

Source: http://blubrew.com/2011/06/16/the-fe...ended-edition/

If that unnatural green tint was removed from the movie and all other color timing/color grading changes were made so that the movie appears to follow the laws of nature, I'd be a happy camper.

And, yeah yeah... I realize it is Middle Earth and it's all a bunch of science fiction anyway. But the movie hasn't had this green tint for 10 years and I don't see how ANYONE could have thought it was a good idea to apply it now.

Mark
That's terrible. I wasn't planning on grabbing this release anyway (I has planning on holding off, in case the inevitable box set with the two Hobbit films was a more "definitive" set), but this just cemented it.
Old 06-21-11, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I can't believe I am forced to say this, but I am passing on this set. Seriously, that is a complete screw up. There is no way the movie is supposed to
look like that.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Looks who's review got linked by the Official LOTR Facebook page?

http://www.facebook.com/lordoftheringstrilogy?sk=wall

And the money keeps rolling in...
Did you see the the HTF thread about this set? Someone actually brought that stuff up. Bill said he checked and the movie is supposed to be like that. A poster asked him "Checked with Who?" Bill said 'An insider'. And the person again said "Who? Top Men? If you don't say who, I am just taking your word that you could have spoken with anyone."

Then the whole thread devolved into 3-4 pages of a whole bunch of people coming out of the woodwork to defend Bill's honor.

It was interesting.

Edit: I am paraphrasing my quotes, but that was basically what was said.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 06-21-11 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-21-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Yeah, I can't believe I am forced to say this, but I am passing on this set. Seriously, that is a complete screw up. There is no way the movie is supposed to
look like that.

Did you see the the HTF thread about this set? Someone actually brought that up. Bill said he checked and the movie is supposed to be like that. A poster asked him "Checked with Who?" Bill said 'An insider'. And the person again said "Who? If you don't say who, I am taking your word that you could have spoken with anyone."

Then the whole thread devolved into 3-4 pages of a whole bunch of people coming out of the woodwork to defend Bill's honor.

It was interesting.
That may be how Jackson wants it now, but it still smacks of revisionism, especially when you consider the amount of work they all put in when they first made it. It makes me think of The Matrix being released with the green tint after the fact because the sequels used it. It's silly.
Old 06-21-11, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
That may be how Jackson wants it now, but it still smacks of revisionism, especially when you consider the amount of work they all put in when they first made it. It makes me think of The Matrix being released with the green tint after the fact because the sequels used it. It's silly.
But if this is how Jackson wants the movies to look now, why would he only do it to Fellowship?

At least the new color timing of Matrix was to bring it in line with the look of the sequels. This brings FOTR in line to match the look of...nothing.
Old 06-21-11, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really couldn't answer that. All I know is that it just looks unappealing to me in the screen caps I've seen. Yes, I know that it may not be as noticeable when watching the film, as my eyes would (in theory) adjust to the differences and I wouldn't notice it.

However, I was able to notice the differences in the color timing changes to both the original Halloween and Do The Right Thing, both cases being detrimental to their viewing experiences. This wasn't a purchase I was planning on making (as I said before, I would rather have a box set with both cuts and ALL the extras from both releases; looks like the larger set with the two Hobbit films will be the most likely scenario for such a release, and even then it's not 100% guaranteed), but this guarantees that I wouldn't change my mind anytime soon (unless Target had another pricing error and I could get the whole set for $8, like some did for the theatrical box set last Black Friday).
Old 06-21-11, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Due to particular software available to the public, I say we burn our own "Consumer Approved Version" discs and get the colors the way we want them. I mean seriously, it's coming to this. I swear, most of Hollywood is on crack and they could give two flying color-timing fucks what their product looks like or how the public is going to react. I suppose my eyes could get used to this, but then again, I remember the saying about a frog in a pot of water while the temperature is slowing being turned up.

I'm gonna have to preview this myself before actually buying it. Hopefully Netflix will have it or I'll rent it somewhere. But I'm sure as hell not pre-ordering for this just yet. At first I thought it would be ok, but I'm not gonna take a chance.
Old 06-21-11, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
But if this is how Jackson wants the movies to look now, why would he only do it to Fellowship?

At least the new color timing of Matrix was to bring it in line with the look of the sequels. This brings FOTR in line to match the look of...nothing.
Yeah...the Matrix ones were more specific of how it was applied. The Matrix world had the green tint on the sequels...soooo they put that into the The Matrix film, Real world...still looked like it did...so that's more in line and it's ok for the most part.

I highly fucking doubt they did this for some reason associated w/ the Hobbit...it makes less sense.
Old 06-21-11, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a lot of people here are getting bent out of shape on a couple screen shots. Why not just wait until you see the movie for yourself. If it’s really that distracting and you hate it, then fine. But don’t just jump on the “Peter Jackson ruined my dream release” bandwagon, which just seems dumb. I personally think that the full frame changes used on The Dark Knight and Transformers 2 is more distracting since it's just certain scenes that changed throughout the movie. At least with this color change, it’s the whole movie, and just not certain parts.
Old 06-21-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yeah...the Matrix ones were more specific of how it was applied. The Matrix world had the green tint on the sequels...soooo they put that into the The Matrix film, Real world...still looked like it did...so that's more in line and it's ok for the most part.
If I'm not mistaken, the Matrix always had some kind of color tinting (or at least desaturation) for the scenes that took place inside the "matrix." They then went back and punched up the green after the sequels came out.
Old 06-21-11, 08:52 AM
Banned

....hrm...yeah..you're right. For some reason I processed the added green as...a full color tint operation..but...I think you're right.
Old 06-21-11, 08:59 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I think a lot of people here are getting bent out of shape on a couple screen shots. Why not just wait until you see the movie for yourself. If it’s really that distracting and you hate it, then fine. But don’t just jump on the “Peter Jackson ruined my dream release” bandwagon, which just seems dumb. I personally think that the full frame changes used on The Dark Knight and Transformers 2 is more distracting since it's just certain scenes that changed throughout the movie. At least with this color change, it’s the whole movie, and just not certain parts.
So tell people to spend $80 on it so they could see it for themselves?

It seems only a few people are denying the green....it's there.
Old 06-21-11, 09:25 AM

Isn't renting an option?
Old 06-21-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahab
Isn't renting an option?
Not always with catalogue titles.
Old 06-21-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm not going to comment on the Bill Hunt stuff anymore as what he thinks of the set and who he might be paid by (again no proof provided) is irrelevant to the discussion.

The most distressing part is still no comment from PJ. This makes me think they're waiting until after release week to announce an exchange so they still do decent first week numbers.

I still don't think it will look as bad as some of the screenshots (which we really don't how much they've been doctored), but it is apparent there's a difference across the three movies, and that's enough for me to hold off now. I'm not sure if these will be rental available or not but I'd like to see them on my setup before I spend the cash.
Old 06-21-11, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel18
I'm fine with my DVDs. I wouldn't buy them even without the color issues on my favorite one of the trilogy since there's no new special features and you still have to switch discs. Hell fuck no.
I don't mind switching discs, and frankly I've barely scratched the surface of the extras on the 4 disc DVD sets as it is, so I kinda agree.

I can easily wait for the Hobbit+LOTR mega-set, and even then, if the colors are "off" again, I may just buy The Hobbit.
Old 06-21-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm buying the set, looks fine to me.
Old 06-21-11, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
I had been looking forward to this release, but I am going to have to pass. I hope this issue will be corrected in the future, perhaps when The Hobbit is released on BD. (As everyone knows, the studios tend to re-release older films when a new film in the series arrives on home video for the first time.)
Yea, I was going to get this but I am going to wait. That is too much green. I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea.
Old 06-21-11, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Some encouraging comments from someone not associated with a review site whose watching FOTR over on the blu-ray.com forums. They say it looks great and can't understand why it doesn't look like the screenshots. Some pumped up colors but not the sweeping green/dim lighting they were expecting.
Old 06-21-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

It was all a ploy... show it looking crappy.. then when we get it.. it looks so much better... that the reviews are raving.. and everyone runs out to get it immediately...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.