Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Forbidden Planet Blu-Ray -- transfer recycled from HD-DVD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

The Beaver just posted its review of the new Warner Blu-ray of the 1956 classic:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdre...den_planet.htm

It seems like the transfer might just be a recycle of the 2006 50th Anniv. HD-DVD? Why can't DVDBeaver be bothered to compare it to the HD-DVD transfer? They continually behave as if HD-DVD never existed!

The low bitrate (20 Mbits/sec avg) and lousy usage of Disk space (movie takes only 19.5 Gig on the 50-gb dual-layered Blu) leads me to believe Warner slapped the old 2006 transfer on the "new" Blu. What a shameful way to treat such a classic film.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Old 08-31-10, 06:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Forbidden Planet Blu-Ray -- transfer recycled from HD-DVD?

Does it matter? The HD DVD encode was freakin' amazing and holds up very, very well. Wish all Warner catalog looked as nice.

Please, please, stop (in general, not directed towards you) with the bitrate bullshit that the Blu-ray.com crew thinks makes a movie look better. In today's age, bitrate is useless and the software and tools to make movies look good don't need to have high bitrates.
Old 08-31-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, exactly. Don't knock HD DVD as there are still superior transfers on it compared to Blu-ray. For example, no one has been able to match Kinowelt's German Terminator 2 release.
Old 08-31-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Not knocking the HD-DVD. I own that wonderful disc, and am very, very happy with its transfer. Just trying to determine if the Blu has a better encode, or if it is exactly the same. I KNOW bitrate isn't everything, especially with a good VC1 encoder, I'm just saying their constraints shouldn't be so tight, filling out a little more of the available disc space wouldn't hurt!
Old 08-31-10, 07:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh noes! Warner Bros. has given us an excellent transfer, one of the best looking available in either format! Why would you be so disrespectful, Warner?!
Old 08-31-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Does it matter? The HD DVD encode was freakin' amazing and holds up very, very well. Wish all Warner catalog looked as nice.

Please, please, stop (in general, not directed towards you) with the bitrate bullshit that the Blu-ray.com crew thinks makes a movie look better. In today's age, bitrate is useless and the software and tools to make movies look good don't need to have high bitrates.
Keep believing that, as WB churns out hundreds of mediocre Blu-rays using obsolete compression tools and dated transfers.
Old 08-31-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Keep believing that, as WB churns out hundreds of mediocre Blu-rays using obsolete compression tools and dated transfers.
The hell are you talking about? Your response has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on anything Gizmo said. Also, hundreds? Really?
Old 08-31-10, 09:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Huh?

I'm sorry, this is not Universal who is adding in EE/DNR to HD DVD Ports.
This is not Fox who wiped all grain clean from Predator.
This is not Paramount who also have been using the DNR tool to clean up titles for the PS3 demographic.

Aside from not providing lossless on TV BDs, Warner has been pretty damn amazing the past year or two. Unlike most studios, they are actually releasing catalog titles on a format which is not selling as well as the studios had hoped. Unless you have some examples (hundreds ), you're just crapping on something you know nothing of.
Old 08-31-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Warner's pretty notorious for filtering their titles too, though. Hamlet would be one recent example.
Old 08-31-10, 09:21 PM
Suspended

As for Forbidden Planet, this was prepared back in 2006 for Blu-ray as well. It just never got released because Blu-ray was selling so little and the title didn't appeal to the PS3 demographic (which had just launched a few days earlier). Surprised we didn't get this one earlier. Eh. I'll stick with my HD DVD as it's not a title I will watch any time soon.
Old 08-31-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not much of a surprise that they held it back this long. How many LE tins did they sell again? Like less than 300 if I'm correct. Awesome HD-dvd though.
Old 08-31-10, 11:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Not much of a surprise that they held it back this long. How many LE tins did they sell again? Like less than 300 if I'm correct. Awesome HD-dvd though.
The original HD DVD sold like shit. I think in late 2007 it was estimated it only sold a few hundred (I recall 650) copies. Of course, HD DVD had only sold about 100-150k players. Compare that to today with 20+ million BD players and a typical non-big gcatalog title may sell a few thousand in it's opening month. Both are rather pathetic when put into perspective.
Old 09-04-10, 04:07 AM
Cool New Member

Forbidden Planet is my favourite SF film of all time. I'm sitting here with my FP mouse mat!

It is interesting that some have said that the HD-DVD transfer was excellent. I have this and the special edition DVD with the model Robby the Robot etc. I thought the DVD (upscaled on my Toshiba) was better than the HD-DVD. This and Van Helsing were the only HD-DVDs I was disappointed in.

I would have bought the blu-ray but if it is the same transfer as the HD-DVD it seems pointless.
Old 09-04-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Huh? Sorry but the HD-DVD blows away the standard def one, I replaced my DVD of it and never look back.

Maybe it's because there's a "u" in your color
Old 09-13-10, 04:52 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by naitram
Huh? Sorry but the HD-DVD blows away the standard def one, I replaced my DVD of it and never look back.

Maybe it's because there's a "u" in your color
No, I've had a chance to compare them again. Not very scientific 'cos I put the DVD in my blu-ray player and switched between the HD-DVD.

Its not that the HD-DVD is poor it is just not visibly better than the upscaled DVD.

The "u" in colour is an interesting point. I don't now know whether the HD-DVD was a UK or US release. Perhaps they differ but since these weren't region coded, I would have assumed they would be the same.