Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Star Wars

I am going to make Vader's "No, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" my ringtone. I love it that much.
Old 09-08-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Likewise, I'm keeping my pre-order. Would I prefer to have the original, unaltered versions? Absolutely. However, I was expecting there to be more changes to the films on this set, just as there were on the DVD release. And as dumb as some of these changes are, such as Vader yelling "Noooooo!" in Jedi, they haven't been dumb enough to completely ruin the movies for me. I'm aware of what I'm getting for my money, and I'm OK with it, especially since it is unlikely we will get anything else (aside from various repackagings) on this format.
I believe there are more fans like yourself out there and then fans like me who are taking a stand against this release. and that is why Lucas will continue to tinker because it will sell well. Now I am not saying this disrespectfully to you, because I don't begrudge your decision. I felt the say way in 2004 as the changes bothered me, but I was willing to put up with them just to get my favorite movies on DVD.

I just don't feel right buying this crap from Lucas anymore as long as he doesnt release the originals.
Old 09-08-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I believe there are more fans like yourself out there and then fans like me who are taking a stand against this release. and that is why Lucas will continue to tinker because it will sell well. Now I am not saying this disrespectfully to you, because I don't begrudge your decision. I felt the say way in 2004 as the changes bothered me, but I was willing to put up with them just to get my favorite movies on DVD.

I just don't feel right buying this crap from Lucas anymore as long as he doesnt release the originals.
Oh I understand your feelings completely. I realize that plenty of people have already reached their breaking point, either prior to this release or with it, and I don't begrudge them for it, either.

With that said, I just view all of this as a big catch-22. As you said, if these sell well, then it gives Lucas more of an incentive to tinker with them. However, let's just say, for the sake of argument, that enough people cancel their pre-orders and change their minds about this release, to the point that this set ends up drastically underperforming. I feel that Lucas and company would take it as a sign that there just isn't enough interest in the films period, rather than a lack of interest in the revised cuts.

The 2006 Limited Editions of the original trilogy that had the laserdisc transfers of the unaltered cuts as a bonus feature didn't sell incredibly well, and Lucasfilm took that as a sign that the demand for those cuts was much smaller than those would have you believe, rather than a sign that people weren't happy about repurchasing the same discs they had, packaged with a subpar release of something they did want.

If I were in charge of producing and releasing this set, and I had carte blanche to do whatever I wanted, I would put all the cuts on there, in HD. Original, 1997, 2004, 2011. Along with all the previously released extras, including Empire Of Dreams and From Star Wars To Jedi. However, I've come to realize that the probability of seeing a definitive set like that is minuscule at best, and what we're getting now is probably the best we're going to get, especially when you consider that catalog Blu-Rays in general aren't exactly flying off the shelves. And as I said before, I just haven't personally reached that breaking point where the tinkering Lucas has done causes the films to be ruined for me, to the point where I refuse to buy them.

It's actually rather pathetic reading that and thinking to myself that I'm a fan of the series. Even more so when I realize that I'm not the only one that feels that way.
Old 09-08-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Not to mention that when you look at what Hayden is doing in that scene standing there, HE IS NOT EVEN LOOKING IN THE SAME DIRECTION as Obi-Wan and Yoda are looking. He's looking directly at the damn camera posing!

So when you look past the notion of whether Hayden's image belongs there or not, the simple fact is it's a poorly done, half-assed visual effect that simply doesn't match.
Good money says that they took footage of Hayden Christensen doing a wardrobe test and used that footage to create the Anakin ghost. Notice how Hayden looks down for a second, like he's looking at his clothes.

The scene looks so fucking lame (like so many of the other "improvements") I can't believe anyone would defend it.
Old 09-08-11, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Good money says that they took footage of Hayden Christensen doing a wardrobe test and used that footage to create the Anakin ghost. Notice how Hayden looks down for a second, like he's looking at his clothes.

The scene looks so fucking lame (like so many of the other "improvements") I can't believe anyone would defend it.
I'm pretty sure they pull that footage from a scene in Episode 3 where Obi-Wan and Anakin part ways amicably. It's really lame if they used the exact same footage, but that's what it looks like to me...
Old 09-08-11, 09:37 PM

Sorry, but it makes NO sense that Hayden is the force ghost, and I will explain. By putting Hayden in the ghost scene, Lucas's rationale is that Anakin died when he turned to the Dark Side, and essentially Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker are 2 different people.

Why its wrong, is it totally misses the point of the movie Return of the Jedi. Who becomes conflicted throughout the movie? 60 year old Anakin, not 25 year old Anakin. Who saves his son when and killing the Emperor? 60 year old Anakin, not 25 year old Anakin. So, they are the same person because even though Vader is wearing a black mask and is perceived as evil, there is a touch of good in him that only Luke feels, and that is what makes his final decision to save his son.

So the 60 year old Anakin who is sitting inside Vaders suit the whole time IS the one who redeems himself by saving his son, not the 25 year old Anakin who burned on Mustafar. So it only makes sense that his 60 year old ghost is shown in the final scene.

Plus Alec Guiness would be pissed that he is in Jedi heaven as an old man, and Hayden who committed numerous murders is sitting in heaven as heartthrob Hayden Christenson.
The original scene also has the double impact that after Luke removes Vader's helmet and we see his old mutilated face it is then juxtaposed against the ghost form and we see that he has become a whole man again. So for the revised edition to make complete sense they need to just completely delete the scene where Luke removes Vader's helmet.
Old 09-08-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Lutz
The original scene also has the double impact that after Luke removes Vader's helmet and we see his old mutilated face it is then juxtaposed against the ghost form and we see that he has become a whole man again. So for the revised edition to make complete sense they need to just completely delete the scene where Luke removes Vader's helmet.
True. If Anakin was dead, and Vader was just an animated puppet controlled by the sheer will of the Emperor, he wouldn't have aged like he did.

Maybe the logic is he reverted back to his his last known good configuration. He never actually "lived" looking like Sebastian Shaw. If fuzzy glowy Ben and Yoda looked like they did when they died, Anakin should have looked like a complete mess. That wouldn't have been much fun either.
Old 09-08-11, 10:44 PM

People who try to rationalize or make sense of Star Wars make me laugh. Just accept that George Lucas was pulling it all out of his ass as he went along.
Old 09-09-11, 12:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
I kept my pre-order and can't wait to get it
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old 09-09-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy fuck, this sounds awesome:
Finally, when the pair have their hand-to-hand combat its much more personal-punches, grappling bodies and throws. Finally, Obi-Wan manages to rip open Grievous’s chest cavity, grabs his heart, pulls it out, throws it across the room and destroys it with a blaster. As this happens, the eyes and life behind Grievous’s face mask wither and die. That latter scene, even in animatics form, is both exciting and pretty gruesome, adding a harder edge to the sequence if it had been realized.
Breakdown of most of the deleted scenes: http://starwarsaficionado.blogspot.c...irst-look.html
And unboxing. The packaging is fine.
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JL2IfMfLLs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JL2IfMfLLs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Last edited by LosingMyMind; 09-09-11 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-09-11, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Nice tats, I think I'll still prefer the book packaging. lol.
Old 09-09-11, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That packaging looks exactly like the CBS/Paramount TV series sets like for the CSI and Star Trek shows.
Old 09-09-11, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Maybe the logic is he reverted back to his his last known good configuration. He never actually "lived" looking like Sebastian Shaw. If fuzzy glowy Ben and Yoda looked like they did when they died, Anakin should have looked like a complete mess. That wouldn't have been much fun either.
This is Lucas' rationalization, and the only problem with it (aside from it sucking) is that it doesn't make sense unless someone explains it to you. It's not enough to just make sense, it has to make enough sense that you can get it without the director (well...) telling you what's meant to be happening.
Old 09-09-11, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Plus Alec Guiness would be pissed that he is in Jedi heaven as an old man, and Hayden who committed numerous murders is sitting in heaven as heartthrob Hayden Christenson.
That can easily be fixed.
Old 09-09-11, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Apparently Toys R Us has Episodes IV-VI on BD @ $29.99 in their AD starting 9/11. Saw it posted over at CheapAssGamer.com
Old 09-09-11, 05:40 AM

I kept my pre-order and can't wait to get it
Same here....can't wait to see them in hi-def. I still have my widescreen set of the OT from 1995(Lucas even states on the package that it will be the final release in it's original form)if I want to watch them.
Old 09-09-11, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally, when the pair have their hand-to-hand combat its much more personal-punches, grappling bodies and throws. Finally, Obi-Wan manages to rip open Grievous’s chest cavity, grabs his heart, pulls it out, throws it across the room and destroys it with a blaster. As this happens, the eyes and life behind Grievous’s face mask wither and die. That latter scene, even in animatics form, is both exciting and pretty gruesome, adding a harder edge to the sequence if it had been realized.
Funny to hear this description since it was one of the pre-viz sequences Spielberg did. Easily a much better idea than the actual scene.
Old 09-09-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Hmm packaging is much better than I expected
Old 09-09-11, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ It's kind of odd that the plastic trays don't match the illustrated sleeves Lucasfilm was displaying for the online media during press day. I agree, this packaging is an improvement - it just seems they would have known enough in advance to have the actual retail version there for everyone to report on.
Old 09-09-11, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the unboxing above isn't from a region A set, right? We'll still have the illustrated sleeves here
Old 09-09-11, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JayDerek
the unboxing above isn't from a region A set, right? We'll still have the illustrated sleeves here
I dont know, I dont see any red triangles, or other stuff you see on non Region A packaging, though comments on YouTube say its Swedish.
Old 09-09-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayDerek
Correct, this is a video of the region B or something like that and not the one that will be here in the US.
Old 09-09-11, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Correct, this is a video of the region B or something like that and not the one that will be here in the US.
Shit. Back to custom cases.
Old 09-09-11, 09:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that some folks have the sets in hands, has anyone posted anything about the 91 minute spoof compilation? I'm wondering what the breakdown is. Looks like it's going to be clips from mostly current/recent Fox-produced shows with SNL bits and a Weird Al video thrown in. Hope that's not the case.
Old 09-09-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,415 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Breakdown of most of the deleted scenes: http://starwarsaficionado.blogspot.c...irst-look.html
And unboxing. The packaging is fine.
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JL2IfMfLLs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JL2IfMfLLs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

From the Ep 3 deleted scenes, Anakin and Obi Wan
They then get into the lift after defecting blasts from Droidekas and find themselves in the company of unseen Battle Droids, which the pair imaginary cut up with their ‘sabers, ending with a nice little moment where the friends humorously say, “Roger, Roger” after so easily defeating them.
This would have been one of those little touches that would have been great for showing how the two really were friends.

Otherwise, unless there's more on the discs than this person was given access to, then it seems there's still so much left in the LFL archives for...what? A future release? All the DVD releases were pretty much the same, will we really be getting Blu double dips?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.