HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Old 04-11-19, 02:18 PM
  #4351  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,465
Re: Star Wars

RUMOR:

Exclusive: Disney are working on a 4K Blu-ray box set for Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
dex14 is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 02:35 PM
  #4352  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,164
Re: Star Wars

I wonder if Disney+ will stream the SW films in 4K? If so, I'd probably only every buy the OT. I'd never buy a complete set of films that included the PT.
Rob V is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 02:43 PM
  #4353  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,500
Re: Star Wars

I'd like just individual releases personally. I've held off on buying Star Wars on Blu-ray so far so I'll wait longer if need be. Still holding to only buying the unaltered Original Trilogy as well. If that isn't an option I'll find alternate methods of viewing them.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 02:45 PM
  #4354  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,412
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
RUMOR:

Exclusive: Disney are working on a 4K Blu-ray box set for Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Now that Disney owns Fox and thus owns all the rights to all the Star Wars films, making a new box set after Ep 9 comes out is a no-brainer. Likewise making 4K releases. The big question is whether the original cuts will be included, and the article doesn't commit to a stance regarding that.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 05:10 PM
  #4355  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 12,733
Re: Star Wars

Yeah, this is so expected, I'd hardly consider it a rumor.

I've got the first Blu box of the 6 movies, but the transfers have some issues and there's tons of extras still in the vaults.

So, yeah, originals? That's the real question.

Though what I would really love in addition to the original version of the Holy Trilogy, would be versions that added scenes like the Biggs footage or Luke building his new lightsaber from ROTJ. Like, if they had made extended TV versions back in the 80s (like the Superman films or Dune). That would really get me excited.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 07:56 PM
  #4356  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,412
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Though what I would really love in addition to the original version of the Holy Trilogy, would be versions that added scenes like the Biggs footage or Luke building his new lightsaber from ROTJ. Like, if they had made extended TV versions back in the 80s (like the Superman films or Dune). That would really get me excited.
I feel that's highly unlikely. Disney doesn't really do extended editions. The only time they do multiple versions is if it's for some other reason, like historical relevance (Beauty & the Beast work cut) or because of something like an IMAX re-release that added a song (Beauty & the Beast, Lion King). So while I think it's possible they might include the original cuts, they're not going to make their own.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 10:27 AM
  #4357  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,684
Re: Star Wars

The Last Jedi (The JJ Abrams Cut) would be great.
Ranger is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 10:35 AM
  #4358  
DVD & Video Game Reviewer
 
gryffinmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ancient City
Posts: 6,483
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
The Last Jedi (The JJ Abrams Cut) would be great.
What's J.J. Abrams going to do? Add yet another Death Star to the story?
gryffinmaster is online now  
Old 04-12-19, 10:39 AM
  #4359  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,412
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
What's J.J. Abrams going to do? Add yet another Death Star to the story?
"This time, it's literally a star! It shoots a beam at other stars and turns them into Black Holes!"
Jay G. is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 01:32 PM
  #4360  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,085
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
RUMOR:

Exclusive: Disney are working on a 4K Blu-ray box set for Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
This rumor is barely any different from rumors of an original trilogy restoration that went around last year. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that....

I'll believe it when I have the disc in my hand. Not one moment before.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 01:39 PM
  #4361  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,514
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
This rumor is barely any different from rumors of an original trilogy restoration that went around last year. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that....

I'll believe it when I have the disc in my hand. Not one moment before.
And even then if Disney releases the unaltered Original Trilogy Lucas will come down everyone's chimneys like Santa and take them away when you sleep.
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 01:54 PM
  #4362  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 17,819
Re: Star Wars

I never picked up the BR versions. My son took the DVD's when he moved out. I would be interested in the OT in 4K. Although I found them entertaining, I'm not a huge fanboy. If they never come out I just won't buy them.
JimRochester is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 05:59 PM
  #4363  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Greg MacGuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Formerly known as "Jeffy Pop"/Denver
Posts: 2,976
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
"This time, it's literally a star! It shoots a beam at other stars and turns them into Black Holes!"
Black holes are so hot right now.
Greg MacGuffin is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 06:21 AM
  #4364  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,959
Re: Star Wars

I doubt very much that we're going to see an original trilogy release on 4K in 2020. What I DO think we'll get in 2020 is a boxed set for all three of the NEW films - with both The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker joining The Last Jedi on 4K.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 06:39 AM
  #4365  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,412
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I doubt very much that we're going to see an original trilogy release on 4K in 2020. What I DO think we'll get in 2020 is a boxed set for all three of the NEW films - with both The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker joining The Last Jedi on 4K.
What reason do you have to doubt UHD versions of the OT? A 4K version of A New Hope has been in the works since at least 2016:
https://lwlies.com/interviews/gareth...ar-wars-story/
On day one, we were in Lucasfilm in San Francisco with Industrial Light and Magic and John Knoll, our supervisor, he said that they’ve got a brand new 4K restoration print of A New Hope – it had literally just been finished.
Also, what about the prequel trilogy? How likely do you think they'll get a UHD release?
Jay G. is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 09:05 AM
  #4366  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 12,733
Re: Star Wars

TPM was shot on film and finished digitally so it can be done in 4K but AOTC and ROTS were shot with 1080p digital cameras so that’s a bottleneck. Scenes that had a lot of digital effects could theoretically be rerendered at a higher resolution but the live action stuff would have to be upconverted.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 09:50 AM
  #4367  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,085
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
TPM was shot on film and finished digitally so it can be done in 4K but AOTC and ROTS were shot with 1080p digital cameras so that’s a bottleneck. Scenes that had a lot of digital effects could theoretically be rerendered at a higher resolution but the live action stuff would have to be upconverted.
90% of the movies released on "4k" UHD are upconverted from 2k. That's not an obstacle at all.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 09:54 AM
  #4368  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,085
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
What reason do you have to doubt UHD versions of the OT? A 4K version of A New Hope has been in the works since at least 2016:
https://lwlies.com/interviews/gareth...ar-wars-story/
Some version of the original trilogy on UHD? Sure, most likely the last Lucas revisions.

Kathleen Kennedy has stated that restorations of the original theatrical versions will never happen:

https://www.nme.com/news/film/lucasf...mpered-2059039
Josh Z is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 10:57 AM
  #4369  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,500
Re: Star Wars

That article above with Kennedy's quote about never touching the originals reads to me more like she wouln't make further changes to the films. Different than saying they'll never be restored to their theatrical releases. I still somehow don't think we'll see the originals but would love if we did.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 11:02 AM
  #4370  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,455
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
That article above with Kennedy's quote about never touching the originals reads to me more like she wouln't make further changes to the films. Different than saying they'll never be restored to their theatrical releases. I still somehow don't think we'll see the originals but would love if we did.
And even if that is what she meant to say, it won't always be her call, even if it is now. She was appointed to lead Lucasfilm by George himself, so of course she will remain loyal to him, but if Disney were to ever decide that they want to put the OOT out, then they will. Which isn't to say that I think it will happen anytime soon, but Disney didn't spend 4 billion dollars to acquire Star Wars so that they could let Lucas tell them what to do.
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 11:16 AM
  #4371  
DVD & Video Game Reviewer
 
gryffinmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ancient City
Posts: 6,483
Re: Star Wars

The closer the world moves to digital formats above physical media, the less interested people will become in a studio release of the unaltered originals.

Options are out there. It's now or never ... from a certain point of view.
gryffinmaster is online now  
Old 04-15-19, 11:23 AM
  #4372  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,412
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Kathleen Kennedy has stated that restorations of the original theatrical versions will never happen...
I'll just quote my response the last time this came up:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
The podcast interview in question:
Ep 131.3 : Star Wars Celebration Orlando Day 2 ? The Last Jedi cast interviews with Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Kelly Marie Tran, Rian Johnson & Kathleen Kennedy ? Steele Wars : Star Wars Chat.
At about the 16:09 mark is the question. The interviewer asks whether the final cuts of "George's" films would be "altered over time." Kennedy's response: "I wouldn't touch those, are you kidding?"

I think it's a poorly phrased question, since it asks about "altering" films instead of "restoring" films, and it doesn't pin-point which films exactly; Kennedy may have thought the question was about arbitrary changes to all the earlier films, including the prequels.

The question immediately preceding it, at 15:33 is about the transition to Disney and whether there's a "contractual obligation that the films are locked into their current form." Kennedy's answer is as if she understood him to be asking about Disney influencing the new films in any way. Again, I think this question was poorly phrased, and I think Kathleen Kennedy just wasn't in the "head space" of the questions being in regard to restoring the original versions of the original trilogy at all.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 11:27 AM
  #4373  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,412
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
The closer the world moves to digital formats above physical media, the less interested people will become in a studio release of the unaltered originals...
I don't think this is necessarily true. There's alternate and extended versions of films available digitally. Recently, Fantastic Beasts 2 had an extended cut as a digital extra, and in fact it's the only way to view the extended cut, since it's not available on disc.

If there's not space on the discs, maybe Disney will include the original cuts as digital extras.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 12:44 PM
  #4374  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 20,978
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
I don't think this is necessarily true. There's alternate and extended versions of films available digitally. Recently, Fantastic Beasts 2 had an extended cut as a digital extra, and in fact it's the only way to view the extended cut, since it's not available on disc.
Not that it changes your greater point, but the extended Grindelwald is on-disc overseas (such as the UK). I'm not sure why the U.S. got the short end of the stick, but apparently there are "DELETED SCENE" overlays even within the extended cut, and that makes my skin crawl to the point that I don't miss it.
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 04-15-19, 01:49 PM
  #4375  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,412
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Not that it changes your greater point, but the extended Grindelwald is on-disc overseas (such as the UK). I'm not sure why the U.S. got the short end of the stick, but apparently there are "DELETED SCENE" overlays even within the extended cut, and that makes my skin crawl to the point that I don't miss it.
Interesting. I recall there was speculation about the UK 3D version when the cover art first came out, because it didn't say "extended cut available via digital" on the bottom of the front box art, but I didn't realize it had been confirmed.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fanta...lu-ray/222912/
Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Blu-ray) (2018)

My DeadPool 2 Super Duper Cut digital copy includes both original and extended cuts, but both are available on disc as well.

I know there's other films where multiple cuts are available digitally, but as different "titles." I've got both theatrical and extended cut version of LOTR, The Hobbit, Harry Potter 1 & 2, and Aliens, for example. I have the Unrated version only of a few films like Dawn of the Dead & Miami Vice, and the Director's Cut only of films like Das Boot and Watchmen.
Jay G. is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.