Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-10, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by Giles
I really don't understand what's the problem - the disc was dispatched to me, where's is my disc? still at customs, somewhere in the US mail twilight zone (during the holiday season) - this is just ridiculous ??
You can't track yours either? We can't even see where it is if we aren't giving tracking information which sucks.
Old 12-30-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I'm more patient than most on here. I can wait until Jan. 5th (unfortunately, the day I leave town for a week in NYC), but if it comes sooner, great. If not, I'll bitch about the shipping refund.
Old 12-30-10, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
Me to. I live about 20 minutes from DC and about 45 minutes from Baltimore and still haven't received mine either.
I live in Baltimore and didn't get anything today.
Old 12-30-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who knows, maybe they shipped out the DVD versions first
Old 12-31-10, 12:55 AM

Havent got mine either. anyone in mpls got theirs yet?
Old 12-31-10, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing here and guess what, if it doesn't come tomorrow, we won't have it in our hands until 2011!

Old 12-31-10, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 315 Posts

Okay, seriously, WTF? My friend, who's in the same zip code as me, got his set on Monday, and here we are on Thursday and mine still hasn't shown up (they shipped at the same time).
Old 12-31-10, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
So my friend, who literally lives 5 minutes down the street from me, got his set today and I haven't gotten mine, even though they shipped out at the same time. WTF
Ahhh! Still haven't gotten mine even though my buddy just down the street got his yesterday! WTF?
Okay, seriously, WTF? My friend, who's in the same zip code as me, got his set on Monday, and here we are on Thursday and mine still hasn't shown up (they shipped at the same time).
You don't say.
Old 12-31-10, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I'll be posting each day until I get it. Catharsis FTW!
Old 12-31-10, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 12-31-10, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm so glad to get my set before the snowstorms
Old 12-31-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Fuck i still haven't gotten mine yet. No way to track it either
Old 01-01-11, 11:42 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 930 Likes on 779 Posts

we've waited this long for a decent R1 or region free release, now we have it on Blu-ray in what looks to be the definitive package (two cuts of film, very good extras, and best possible we may ever get, we know they shipped, what's the big deal when we get it?
Old 01-01-11, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
we've waited this long for a decent R1 or region free release, now we have it on Blu-ray in what looks to be the definitive package (two cuts of film, very good extras, and best possible we may ever get, we know they shipped, what's the big deal when we get it?
We've had to wait ten years to get this release and we want our copies now?

With all of the disappointment in this thread, wait for Anchor Bay to blow this release out of the water.
Old 01-01-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
We've had to wait ten years to get this release and we want our copies now?
Right, we want it now, but we didn't want to pay extra for the express shipping with tracking, and we're whining about it not coming before Amazon said it would.

I still have 4 days before my shipment is officially overdue.
Old 01-01-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wait for Anchor Bay to blow this release out of the water.
Is it official that Anchor Bay is making a blu-ray for Battle Royale?
Old 01-01-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Is it official that Anchor Bay is making a blu-ray for Battle Royale?
It hasn't been officially announced by Anchor Bay, if that's what you're asking.

It looks like it's not even official yet that Anchor Bay has the rights. This article, which appears to be the source of the news, removed Anchor Bay's name from it at the request of Toei:
http://www.nipponcinema.com/blog/bat...s-distribution

Meanwhile, there's no announcement on Anchor Bay's news page:
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/news.asp
Old 01-01-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On another board I'm on, one of the other posters whom I'm friendly with and who is a PR guy has contacts at Anchor Bay. They are doing it and his friend claims that theirs will be definitive. We'll see, but I'm still glad that I'll have the Arrow (if it ever shows up).

And my note on the delivery date that Amazon.co.uk has given all of us. Personally, I think 3 1/2 weeks is a ridiculous window for them to give us. Previous Amazon UK orders have gotten to me in a week and a half tops.
Old 01-01-11, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jrsl76
On another board I'm on, one of the other posters whom I'm friendly with and who is a PR guy has contacts at Anchor Bay. They are doing it and his friend claims that theirs will be definitive. We'll see, but I'm still glad that I'll have the Arrow (if it ever shows up).
Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to throw doubt on whether Anchor Bay had the rights or was producing a Blu-ray. I was just answering toddly6666's question about anything being "official" yet, which it's not.

And my note on the delivery date that Amazon.co.uk has given all of us. Personally, I think 3 1/2 weeks is a ridiculous window for them to give us. Previous Amazon UK orders have gotten to me in a week and a half tops.
There's a reason why it's called a delivery "window" instead of a fast and firm date. Just because some orders have gotten to you faster before, doesn't mean they always will get to you that fast. Check your previous orders, and I bet they arrived far earlier than Amazon.co.uk said was the latest possible date.

If you wanted them faster, or some way to track the order, then you should've gone with something more than the cheapest shipping available.

Personally, the order previous to this I placed on Amazon.co.uk gave a delivery window of just over 3 weeks, but arrived faster than that, probably within a week. An order I placed after Battle Royale shipped has an estimated arrival date of several days after Battle Royale is due, and has already been on route for over two weeks.
Old 01-02-11, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Meanwhile, there's no announcement on Anchor Bay's news page:
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/news.asp
Do you think Anchor Bay would post a press release right after acquiring the rights?

"Hey, we got the rights and all that... but we don't know how we're going to release it yet, but, um, we got the rights to the original and the sequel. Yay?"

I'm sure the deal that Anchor Bay had to strike up with Toei keeps them from announcing anything until everything is set in stone, especially when it comes to the theatrical release of the 3D version. From what I've been informed on, Toei has been pretty "stringent" on letting Battle Royale having an American release as they've seen little-to-no money on all the imports (and bootlegs) that have been sold in America and feel they've been cheated. I feel that's a bullshit response as this is the same company who wouldn't negotiate with any studio a decade ago on releasing it unless they met their terms (wide theatrical release).
I wouldn't be surprised if we see Anchor Bay announce their plans sooner rather than later.
Old 01-02-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you think Anchor Bay would post a press release right after acquiring the rights?

"Hey, we got the rights and all that... but we don't know how we're going to release it yet, but, um, we got the rights to the original and the sequel. Yay?"
Again, I was just answering toddly6666's question the "official" status, which is currently nonexistent. I'm not attempting to discredit any of the rumors.

However, to answer your question, Anchor Bay recently announced the acquisition of the rights to the movie TEKKEN, without any details about the release other than it will be sometime in 2011:
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.co...AAE}&year=2010

They also made an announcement that they were in just negotiations for the rights to another film, Happythankyoumoreplease:
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.co...144}&year=2010
the filmmakers are negotiating a new deal with Anchor Bay Films, which plans to give the comedy a proper theatrical release.
Now obviously, what Anchor Bay can publicly announce and when depends a lot on the wishes and demands of the rights holders. However, it's clear from the examples above that if Anchor Bay could announce the acquisition right away, they most likely would.
Old 01-02-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lots of people are waiting on lots of items shipped from the UK in late November and all of December. I'm waiting on three vinyl records from eBay and two blu-ray discs from Amazon UK. Blaming Amazon for weather problems or Royal Mail delays is the wrong road to take here, I think.
Old 01-02-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrote a letter and got a refund for shipping on both my Inception briefcase and my Battle Royale set, even though I have 3 days to go on the shipping estimate.
Old 01-02-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's hilarious that it's already more that tripled it's price in the second-hand market and I have yet to receive the copy that was shipped to me almost a month ago, even though my neighbor got his a week ago. Just doesn't make sense.
Old 01-02-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Now obviously, what Anchor Bay can publicly announce and when depends a lot on the wishes and demands of the rights holders. However, it's clear from the examples above that if Anchor Bay could announce the acquisition right away, they most likely would.
Neither of those companies mentioned who own the rights to Tekken and Happythankyoumoreplease are Toei who are notorious for being assholes.

The film sold at AFM to an American distributor, that is known. However, Anchor Bay is one of those select few distributors who have the ability to distribute a "genre" film theatrically --- which is still one of Toei's stupid, fucking requirements for granting the rights for Battle Royale in America. There's very few of those studios left that could handle such a release and I know for damn sure Toei would give Magnolia/Magnet a "hard no" based upon their distribution methods.

The writing is on the wall that Anchor Bay possess the rights, even if it's official or non-official. It's also interesting to note that Anchor Bay was one of the many (almost every studio/distributor tried) to ask for the rights a decade ago, but Toei told them no because they had no means of distributing it theatrically. However, there are studios who asked for the rights then who probably wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.