Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Moonwalker - UK HMV Exclusive - May 5, 2010

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-10, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Didn't see this noted anywhere else. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker is out on Blu-Ray in the UK (and other parts of the world....I'll get to this in a bit.). HMV has the exclusive on it for 3 months.

HMV Moonwalker

A poster on that site said the following:

I have owned and enjoyed this timeless classic on VHS since its release some years ago and would recommend it to anyone. I trust this Warner Bluray release will bring this feature into the 21st Century, and not like the poor DVD attempt recently. However Warner have advised the main feature will be in full 1080p (Hi-Def) and the soundtrack will be DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 (Multi Channel Audio). The only extra feature included will be the trailer for those interested.

The release date for this feature is 03.05.2010 and I can’t wait, and it is exclusive to HMV for the first three months.
Another person apparently has a copy and gave the Audio 5/5 and Video 3.5/5.

Back in February, some site called MJWorld.net posted:

HMV has exclusively revealed that they will release Michael’s great film ‘Moonwalker’ on Blu-Ray on May 31st this year.

As well as the classic 84 minute film, highlights on the Blu-Ray include an extended Claymation sequence and a 3D vignette put together by the Disney Company.
It contradicts what the poster at HMV said by way of extras.

Anyways... I had no idea this disc existed before today. Haven't heard a peep about it. I've been working in Singapore for the past several months and when I'm bored, I usually go wandering around what passes for DVD stores out here. Today, I find this in the New Releases:

I was dumbfounded. I looked it over and it looked legit. Warner Bros. logo. DTS-HD Master Audio. No misspellings anywhere. But there's no Region Code listed on it. No bar code on the cover (but stickered on the actual case). It was pretty iffy. I decided to take the plunge and picked it up for $39.90 (Sing Dollars).

Thought it could be a boot until I came back to my hotel and investigated further. Now it looks like a port over from the HMV version. What sucks is I'm away from anyone with a Blu-Ray player for a couple of days so I can't pop it into anything to see what it looks like. There are no Special Features listed beyond "Film Vignettes Include..." from the movie itself. Nothing tells me if it's 1.33:1 or 1.78:1. I'm going to have to wait until I can find out.

Audio:
English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
Castilian Spanish 2.0 DD
French 2.0 DD
German 2.0 DD
Italian 2.0 DD
Russian VO 1.0

Only Special Features listed are a multitude of subtitles. But underneath the SDH logo, the trailer is listed: "Bonus Material/Trailer May Not Be SDH.

Man, I hope mine is legit. I would kill myself if I bought a bootleg with an official one available.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 05-08-10 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-08-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Moonwalker - UK HMV Exclusive - May 5, 2010

There will also be a SteelBook exclusive to Amazon.de, but no date announced yet.
Old 05-08-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The film was announced for Region B with a June release
months ago, so you most likely have a real copy.

I want to know if it's all region as I'll pre-order through Amazon.co.uk since Warner doesn't own the rights in the US.
Old 05-08-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I want to know if it's all region as I'll pre-order through Amazon.co.uk since Warner doesn't own the rights in the US.
Warner US, Warner Canada, Warner UK, Warner Australia, Warner Japan, and Warner Hong Kong never region code Blu-ray Discs.
Old 05-08-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I would love to get Moonwalker on Blu-ray here. I'd prefer a real US release though
Old 05-09-10, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its been confirmed region free. The only extra is a trailer.
DTS-HD English, with dubs in French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Russian (dubbed dialogue, not the music)
Japanese, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Icelandic, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovenian, Swedish, Thai subtitles. (something for everyone)