DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/573467-predator-ultimate-hunter-edition-june-29-2010-a.html)

Supermallet 06-30-10 09:33 PM

Re: Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10241420)
I was able to get this for $0.96, so I said what the hell and bought it.

...and just ordered the first Blu-ray for about $5. Solid.

bunkaroo 06-30-10 09:50 PM

It's too bad this thing has movie cash to suck in people. No one should be buying this. If they had done it right it would have still had movie cash, so for me the movie cash is no rationalization for buying it. Plus I have no real desire to see Predators anyway.

Rammsteinfan 06-30-10 10:42 PM

Bought it, watched it, loved it. Never going to return to this thread now to avoid being called crazy, insane, and a idiot ;) :goodbye:

I dunno, I looked good on my LED tv. Prob doesnt help I dont have the best eyesite but it looked better than my old DVD.

Schloob1 07-01-10 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10241420)
I was able to get this for $0.96, so I said what the hell and bought it.

You're going to say somethong like this, at least post how you got it at that price and/or post the deal over in the bargains area. Share the wealth, thx ;)

slop101 07-01-10 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan (Post 10241697)
I dunno, I looked good on my LED tv. Prob doesnt help I dont have the best eyesite but it looked better than my old DVD.

No one's arguing that. The point is that it doesn't look like it should, and easily could. You might like how it looks now better than how it should, and that's fine, but it's like someone liking Greedo shooting first.

Supermallet 07-01-10 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Schloob1 (Post 10241838)
You're going to say somethong like this, at least post how you got it at that price and/or post the deal over in the bargains area. Share the wealth, thx ;)

I got it using a combo of reward zone certificates and taking advantage of the fact that I work at a movie theater (which means I can turn that movie money into cold, hard cash). So it's not something anyone else could really take advantage of, sorry. :(

toldawg128 07-01-10 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10241170)
I can't support a fuck up. Even if it was my child, I wouldn't support that kid. It needs to know it fucked up. It ain't getting my money for this thing.

rotfl That is hilarious.

I'm sad Fox butchered my favorite action movie. At least I still have my 2-disc dvd.

DVD Josh 07-01-10 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by clappj (Post 10241007)
Yeah, I think it's safe in say that 99% of Blu-ray buyers would have no idea what DNR is.

And they don't care. They want the movie, and they want it to be on their big screen. And that's it.

Schloob1 07-01-10 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10241867)
No one's arguing that. The point is that it doesn't look like it should, and easily could. You might like how it looks now better than how it should, and that's fine, but it's like someone liking Greedo shooting first.

I don't know, it seems like almost everyone here is arguing that actually. Most are saying it looks like crap, plain and simple and not stating what you just did that it might look fine BUT not the way it was meant to. At least you come off much more objective this way, and you helped me out in knowing whether I should at least check out for myself whether it detracts from my viewing pleasure or not.

My only argument to you would be that a better analogy would be if a movie is b&w and they made it color and someone said they like it better that way. They did not change anything in the actual movie except for it's appearance.

toddly6666 07-01-10 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10241867)

Getting upset over the new Predator blu-ray is the same as a Star Wars geek getting upset over Greedo shooting first. I'm just a casual fan of Predator and Star Wars, but i'm not crying about how the films are supposed to be. Most casual fans seem to be happy with the new Predator film. If you are a die-hard fan of the movie or obsessed with the fine details of film, then I can understand why someone cannot even watch the new Predator blu-ray.

Look at it this way:
Let's say you and your friends (with wives and girlfriends and children, hypothetically) have a dinner party and have a movie night together. You put in the new Predator blu-ray. Everyone is watching it and enjoying it. But during and after the film, you are the only one bitching about "how the film wasn't originally supposed to look like that on this new blu-ray. And you go on a rant about grain versus DNR."

Silence...Awkwardness...Elephant in the room.

No one cares about the DNR issue except for obsessive movie/blu-ray nuts!!!

Gizmo 07-01-10 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 10242084)
Getting upset over the new Predator blu-ray is the same as a Star Wars geek getting upset over Greedo shooting first.

Changing an actual scene in the movie is a lot different from getting rid of all textures and intended grain.

Schloob1 07-01-10 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 10242084)
No one cares about the DNR issue except for obsessive movie/blu-ray nuts!!!

Well said :clap:

toddly6666 07-01-10 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10242118)
Changing an actual scene in the movie is a lot different from getting rid of all textures and intended grain.

What's worse:
1. Getting your wife and/or friends who have never seen this action movie classic (and one of Arnold's best films) to watch the new blu-ray?
2. Not letting them see the movie at all because all the current blu-rays/dvds/vhs have questionable video quality?

The complaining and arguing is with the wrong people.
People who don't like the DNR should be complaining and writing letters to FOX.
People who don't like the DNR shouldn't be screaming at others for liking the new blu-ray.

It seems like a lot of people who don't like DNR blu-rays read the negative reviews about this blu-ray yet they bought the blu-ray anyway? That doesn't make sense. Then that makes you a supporter of DNR as well. The only smart person in here that didn't buy this blu-ray who is against DNR is SOLID SNAKE PAC. Are there any other forum members in here that don't like DNR that did NOT buy this new blu-ray?

riotinmyskull 07-01-10 09:22 AM

me goddamnit. as i've already stated in this thread, i'll be buying the old PREDATOR blu-ray and sticking my 2-disc DVD release all in a 3-disc case

toddly6666 07-01-10 09:26 AM

So far, the wise blu-ray buyers who don't like DNR have been SOLID SNAKE PAC and RIOTINMYSKULL. Anyone else?

riotinmyskull 07-01-10 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 10242189)
So far, the wise blu-ray buyers who don't like DNR have been SOLID SNAKE PAC and RIOTINMYSKULL. Anyone else?

here's 3 more that i'm fairly positive WON'T be buying this new release:

KILLERCANNIBAL
SESSA17
GENPION

Kory 07-01-10 09:51 AM

I've never seen "Predator," and was looking forward to checking out this release. I don't have a trained eye, and I'm sure if I watched this Blu-ray without reading any of the reviews for it, I would think it looked awesome. However, despite how nice and clean it might look, I am far more interested in seeing a film as it was originally intended to be presented and with a great transfer of that look, than as an artificially cleaned up transfer that does not look how the filmmakers intended it to look. So although this release looks awesome as far as the amount of special features on it, and the fact that it's brighter and more vibrant is great, scrubbing fine detail to this extent is never okay in my opinion, and I will not be purchasing this release. It might look "good," but it doesn't look correct.

islandclaws 07-01-10 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 10242203)
here's 3 more that i'm fairly positive WON'T be buying this new release:

KILLERCANNIBAL

^ Word.

On a more positive note, I'd like to thank toddly6666 for making it that much easier to completely dismiss any reviews he posts regarding a Blu-ray's quality.

van der graaf 07-01-10 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10242242)
^ Word.

On a more positive note, I'd like to thank toddly6666 for making it that much easier to completely dismiss any reviews he posts regarding a Blu-ray's quality.

You would be wise to dismiss pretty much anything he says about anything.

Trevor 07-01-10 10:08 AM

Since it's one of my favorite films, I've decided that the new special features are worth the $5 net, I'll be picking this up. I doubt we'll see a third release anytime soon, so it's the only way to get all the content. I wouldn't do this for more than 50 films or so, but this is one of them.

Adam Tyner 07-01-10 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10242277)
Since it's one of my favorite films, I've decided that the new special features are worth the $5 net, I'll be picking this up.

I haven't compared the extras to my old DVD set yet, but aren't the only new additions a Predators trailer and a new featurette that's basically the guys behind Predators saying what makes the original movie so badass? Even for $5, I really don't think the new stuff is worth it at all.

toddly6666 07-01-10 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10242242)

I never said that I have the word of god. I'm just an average joe with an HDTV that watches a lot of movies from all over the world. I'm not a blu-ray fanatic and I don't get upset over some technical things as other people do.

I'm not against the old blu-ray of Predator. I just like the way the new one looks. I never said it's excellent quality. Here's my review of the new blu-ray itself that I posted on another site:

I don't know why people are grading this blu-ray with one extreme to the next as if they just trying to fight each other. The video quality on this blu-ray is not: bad, fair, very good, excellent, or perfect. The video quality on this blu-ray is just good - simple as that. Sure, there is some wax effect in the close-up scenes sometimes, but not all the time. It's certainly not distracting as I was expecting after reading about everyone's complaints. But when the camera pulls back to medium shots and far shots, this is when the blu-ray shines. The majority of the film is made up of medium and far shots. The daylight scenes are also excellent. This movie doesn't look like a cartoon or characters looking like wax statues. It looks good enough for blu-ray and it looks certainly better then mediocre. If you love grain, then stick with the original blu-ray. If you don't love grain, buy the new blu-ray. If all you care about is the movie looking overall good on blu-ray, then buy the new blu-ray.

As I said in the review, it's the close-ups (especially early in the film) that may be distracting. But the majority of the film is not like that. If the majority of the film is made up of medium and far shots, the DNRing doesn't seem that bad. So if 75 percent of the blu-ray looks good, and 25 percent looks like scrubbed waxiness, I'm okay with that.

I'm not even a supporter of DNR. I wasn't going to even buy this new Predator blu-ray because I was happy with my DVD of it. I was just curious to see what the big deal was and I bought it as well for the free movie ticket. I don't think I have another DNR blu-ray in my 100+ blu-ray collection except for Gladiator, which looked fine to me. But if they do remaster Gladiator which I hear they may be doing later this year, I will rebuy it because it's one of my favorite films.

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 10242258)
You would be wise to dismiss pretty much anything he says about anything.

VAN DER GRAFF, did you find an online anger management forum for your anger problem yet or do you still enjoy insulting people for no reason?

Solid Snake 07-01-10 10:21 AM

Yeah...no offense Trevor but that's a bs reason.

Trevor 07-01-10 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 10242301)
I haven't compared the extras to my old DVD set yet, but aren't the only new additions a Predators trailer and a new featurette that's basically the guys behind Predators saying what makes the original movie so badass? Even for $5, I really don't think the new stuff is worth it at all.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10242318)
Yeah...no offense Trevor but that's a bs reason.

Maybe I scanned the news incorrectly then, I thought it was 5 hours of new special features, including a brand new commentary and documentary. I would have confirmed before opening of course, but that's what I thought. Trailer and featurette only? Maybe for $1 net.

And a BS reason, really? 5 hours of special features isn't worth $5? I already have the film in multiple formats, and would probably watch the film in DVD more often than BD in any event, even if the new A/V was breathtaking.

Josh Z 07-01-10 10:38 AM

Someone on the HDD forum made an apt analogy. He described this new DNR'ed Predator transfer as like listening to a Beatles album that's been auto-tuned, because that's the current musical fad of the day.

I'm sure there will always be someone who'll say that they love the auto-tuned version, and that they think auto-tuning makes everything sound better. Whether that person likes it or not is basically irrelevenat. That's clearly not at all a representation of the original album. And for the rest of us, auto-tuning sounds like nails dragged across a chalkboard. We are actually physically revolted by it when it's done this badly.