Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Putting DVDs & Blu-Ray in the same case?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering how many people do this? I have been buying some dups of Blu-Rays that I have on DVD. Selling them would be a was of time. I have so many I have just started to put them in case with the Blu-Rays.

Being the Blu-ray case is much smaller then a dvd case. I have my own DB so its not all that hard to look them up.
Old 04-17-10, 06:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Putting DVDs & Blu-Ray in the same case?

I did for some titles that didn't include special features on the Blu-ray (Amityville) that I'd love to watch again, but now I just make my own DVD copy and sell the original. You should really buy some 2 Disc BD cases if you go this route. Personally, I have no reason to ever watch the DVD again so I typically just sell them off to SecondSpin.com for a few bucks.
Old 04-17-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't care about extras so once I decide to upgrade to Blu-ray there is no reason to keep the DVD. When I was collecting DVD hot and heavy I was starting to combine like titles to save room. Any sequels were put in with the first DVD case. You can put a couple in without problems or put one in a CD sleeve. Now that I'm primarily renting and only buying a few titles a year I'm putting things back into their own case as I clear room on the shelf.
Old 04-17-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iv done this for maybe the 10 double dips Iv made. I believe most had digital copies i just hitched and added the dvd to save room.

already had one ps3 crap out on me...not ready to abandon my dvd copies.
Old 04-17-10, 07:34 PM

Right now I have a DVD player in each room and one blu-ray (took a crap, waiting on the new one). I really do not plan on selling my old DVD. I can let me kid watch them or when someone must use those words "Dude can I watch this one at my home"
Old 04-17-10, 08:21 PM

I don't think I would do this. Every movie I upgrade I just get rid of the old one.
Old 04-17-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I did this on a few movies like the Wedding Singer where the DVD was not even worth selling. I just bought some 2 disc cases and put the DVD in there and tossed the old DVD case.
Old 04-17-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just started doing this using some 2 & 3 disc single width blu cases. I keep the DVD versions to loan out to my less than hi-tech family that only have DVD players.
Old 04-17-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only DVD's that have gone into some blu cases are usually extra bonus discs. i.e. TJ Miller Doc in same case as Cloverfield Blu. I have a few others this way. Some other movies that have the UNCUT edition that are not on blu I have added to the blu cases such as XXX, Saw, and Con Air. Id like to have both since the uncut versions dont seem to be coming to Blu anytime soon.
Old 04-18-10, 06:51 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

If I own both the BD and the DVD, the DVD is the 'more important' item.

The DVD I can play anywhere on the planet, the BD in exactly one room. I'm more of a homebody than anyone I know, but can't imagine limiting my film viewing to one room. Once BD players get as ubiquitous as DVD players, if that ever happens, I'll change of course.

I'm considering adding a blue sticker to the spine of my DVDs where I own the BD, as a reminder, or to start storing all my films together, regardless of format.
Old 04-18-10, 11:20 AM

I've done that for a few titles... I made Ferris Bueller's Day Off a 2-disc set by adding the original DVD release with commentary by John Hughes to a 2-disc Blu-ray case. The Bueller... Bueller... Edition doesn't have the commentary.
Old 04-18-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I've done this on a couple. I bought some three disc BD cases and for Hoosiers (had the DVD with all the great extras) and Walk the Line (got the US theatrical BD and the 2 disc UK extended cut) and made the editions I wish they released.