Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone catch It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World on MGM HD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I saw this yesterday on MGM HD and thought it looked pretty damn good. It was definitely 2:55:1 or so judging by the bar size.

I don't know if this has been recently restored or what, but I can't imagine it's the same source as the older DVD. Either way, I'd love to get this on Blu-ray.
Old 04-13-10, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone catch It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World on MGM HD?

I missed it, but I would sure love to get this on Blu... especially if they could use the longer version as found on the laserdisc.
Old 04-13-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

yeah I caught a bit of this. Saw what looked to be some nasty EE/halos in many shots, but it may have been the nature of the lenses used. Otherwise it looked sensational.
I would love to have this on Bd too. Unfortunately MGM is probably correct in assuming that Showgirls 15th Anniversary Edition would sell better, so that's the kind of stuff we get.

MGMHD has been running a lot of movies that got short shrifted on DVD and look excellent- Cuba, Who'll Stop The Rain, Breathless, Eye Of The Needle- all of these were either non anamorphic or pan and scanned. I would love to see all of them get a Bd release, but don't see it happening ever.
Old 04-13-10, 02:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
yeah I caught a bit of this. Saw what looked to be some nasty EE/halos in many shots, but it may have been the nature of the lenses used. Otherwise it looked sensational.
I would love to have this on Bd too. Unfortunately MGM is probably correct in assuming that Showgirls 15th Anniversary Edition would sell better, so that's the kind of stuff we get.

MGMHD has been running a lot of movies that got short shrifted on DVD and look excellent- Cuba, Who'll Stop The Rain, Breathless, Eye Of The Needle- all of these were either non anamorphic or pan and scanned. I would love to see all of them get a Bd release, but don't see it happening ever.
yes, their priorities are slightly askew.

I'd love to see this in hidef, since I was wowed a few years back at the AFI Silver's 70mm presentation.
Old 04-13-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

This hasn't been restored.
lotta info here.

http://events.hometheaterforum.com/m...ld_Page_1.html
Old 04-14-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
This hasn't been restored.
lotta info here.

http://events.hometheaterforum.com/m...ld_Page_1.html
That article seems pretty old though, no?

I'm not saying a full on restoration was done, but again I'd be surprised if what MGM aired came from the same source as the 2001 DVD.
Old 04-26-10, 08:49 PM

I got very lucky, I don't have MGM HD but was visiting relatives who did and got to enjoy the last 30 minutes. I thought it looked very good and hope the blu-ray won't be too long in being released. I also hope they included the fully restored version released in VHS (all the extra scenes added in) and the original theater release. The DVD had these scenes as optional veiwing.
Old 04-27-10, 12:08 AM

^ the VHS version was a pseudo restored version, the extra scenes are in, but not it's intended to be seen, from what I've heard a true restoration is still in a work in progress state.
Old 04-27-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That article seems pretty old though, no?

I'm not saying a full on restoration was done, but again I'd be surprised if what MGM aired came from the same source as the 2001 DVD.
That is a 4 year old article but nothing has changed since then.
the film elements are apparently rotting away somewhere because there is no money to restore and save the film.
the mgm airing is probably only an hd upgrade of the original dvd.
Old 04-28-10, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by whotony
That is a 4 year old article but nothing has changed since then.
the film elements are apparently rotting away somewhere because there is no money to restore and save the film.
the mgm airing is probably only an hd upgrade of the original dvd.
You must not have seen the airing on MGM HD as it looked absolutely stunning,in no way at all comparable to the dvd version.It looked to be around 2.55:1 and had the correct colors on the opening titles as well as the intermission title plate and end title with exit music.MGM HD list the running time on their website as 175 min.The print used is clearly restored in some way because of the lack of scratches or artifacts,the super stability,beautiful color,clarity and contrast.

MGM runs many older films in HD that were clearly just run through a telecine to create an HD transfer-scrapes,dirt,scratches and all.It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World looks at least as good or BETTER than Dr. NO that was released the same year (1963).I have Dr. NO on blu-ray and that is a 4k full restoration transfer and looks fabulous.I dare to say IAMMMMW looks at least as good on a 103 inch screen taken into account it is from TWC and only 1080i and much lower bitrate.

There is very little to no information available about the restoration of IAMMMMW that is recent around except for this website mentioning that it is restored:http://www.prioritypr.net/mgm-hd-to-...d-april-1.html
Old 04-28-10, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ISaw the MGM HD airing and can only go by what Robert Harris has been saying, no restoration of the original film elements.
The DVD was remastered for HD. Not the actual film reels.
Old 04-28-10, 03:33 AM

Some screen captures comparing the dvd to MGM HD.Definitely different framing and colors,although the HD captures seem overly saturated:
http://www.cineramahistory.com/iammmmwhddvd.htm
Old 04-28-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know at this point. the discussion over on HTF is confusing, someone says they know someone who says this was remeastered from 70MM elements but no one else has anything to say.
Old 04-28-10, 05:52 PM

You would think with this many Hollywood stars and guest appearences that this movie would get some priority treatment for it's preservation.
Old 04-28-10, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by AlainDelon
Some screen captures comparing the dvd to MGM HD.Definitely different framing and colors,although the HD captures seem overly saturated:
http://www.cineramahistory.com/iammmmwhddvd.htm
frankly I find the skin colors overboard.
Old 04-28-10, 10:07 PM

Stanley Kramers wife ( and ther children and grandkids) were at the Cinerama Dome last year for the One night showing of the film and I asked her how the restoration was going and she said absolutly nothing has been done to the film yet. She said that nobody wanted to pay for the film to be restored. She also mentioned that Robert Harris has most of the film elements that have been found for the film ( if I understoof her right ) She also said they need 2 millon to restore and save the film.
Old 04-28-10, 10:25 PM

^ and yet, there's more interest from MGM and restorers to pony up the money and time for the restoration of 'The Alamo' - where are MGM's priorities??

The Reconstruction and Restoration of John Wayne's "The Alamo"
Old 04-28-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, that MGM HD capture is 2.74:1 ratio. Crazy.
Old 04-29-10, 12:37 AM

I'm a John Wayne fan but The Alamo is not on my blu-ray wish list.
Old 04-29-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
^ and yet, there's more interest from MGM and restorers to pony up the money and time for the restoration of 'The Alamo' - where are MGM's priorities??

The Reconstruction and Restoration of John Wayne's "The Alamo"
Anyone got an update on The Alamo? Guessing it's taking longer than expected because I live in Central Texas (70 miles from San Antonio) and there definitely was not a gala premiere in March of 2010 as indicated by that link. heh.
Old 04-30-10, 01:14 AM

Upcoming showings to catch IAMMMMW on MGM HD is Friday 4/30 10pm Eastern/7pm Pacific,Saturday 5/15 11:20am/8:20am and Tuesday 5/25 10pm/7pm.
Old 04-30-10, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by danstheday
Stanley Kramers wife ( and ther children and grandkids) were at the Cinerama Dome last year for the One night showing of the film and I asked her how the restoration was going and she said absolutly nothing has been done to the film yet. She said that nobody wanted to pay for the film to be restored. She also mentioned that Robert Harris has most of the film elements that have been found for the film ( if I understoof her right ) She also said they need 2 millon to restore and save the film.
Pretty sad they can't come up with just 2 million for this. They should so a prepaid Blu-ray order and we'll pay for it ourselves.

Still makes me wonder what the source was for this HD broadcast then - I suppose it could have been the transfer from 2001, but with today's tech it came out better.
Old 05-01-10, 09:28 AM

I watched the MGMHD MMMW on Directv last night. Using a nicely calibrated Sony VPL-VW85 front projector. Also using a Lumagen Radiance video processor.110" diagonal Stewart Screen.
The Video transfer looked fabulous! If it wasn't a final restored version it could be released as one! Color looked dead on. Super Wide aspect ratio.
Fun!
Old 05-01-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah in absence of any final version I'd surely take that on Blu.
Old 05-02-10, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ddingle
I watched the MGMHD MMMW on Directv last night. Using a nicely calibrated Sony VPL-VW85 front projector. Also using a Lumagen Radiance video processor.110" diagonal Stewart Screen.
The Video transfer looked fabulous! If it wasn't a final restored version it could be released as one! Color looked dead on. Super Wide aspect ratio.
Fun!
Upon further review on my HDDVR, this movie is more than hilarious. I start laughing just thinking about it. Dick Shaun dancing with his "friend" is super funny.
How about flying the airplane through a billboard? Wow! No CGI in 1963. I am going to watch this a few more times!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.