Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Gladiator Anniversary Blu-ray Delayed

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Just a week after announcing Gladiator: 10th Anniversary Edition, the Germany branch of Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced that this Blu-ray release has been postponed. The studio has not given a new date, or any reasons for the delay, although it's been speculated that it might have been moved to the fall, to tie in with the home video release of Robin Hood
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/
Old 03-18-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Gladiator Anniversary Blu-ray Delayed

It would have never been released in the U.S. in May anyway.

Robin Hood is a Universal picture, there was no incentive for Paramount (Gladiator's U.S. DVD/BD distributor) to promote Robin Hood.
Old 03-18-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not promote it but definitely piggy-back on its marketing push given both are Scott/Crowe features.
Old 03-18-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Not promote it but definitely piggy-back on its marketing push given both are Scott/Crowe features.
Exactly- it's not about promoting Robin Hood; it's about taking advantage of Robin Hood's promotion.
Old 03-18-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If it were the DVD/BD release of Robin Hood, yes. But not the theatrical release when you still have an eight-month old BD on the shelf (mediocre transfer and all) and your own Iron Man and Shrek properties on screens at the same time.

Last edited by Adboy151; 03-18-10 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Fine with me, just get it right this time.

Luckily, I was able to unload my "Sapphire Series" abortion for what I paid.
Old 03-18-10, 05:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

given how Paramount has made no formal sort of announcement and continues to let the public still purchase the inferiror current 'sapphire series' edition, seems like a real tacky move on their part... I wont believe a new version will ever come into existence until I see a copy get advertised up on Amazon. This all still seems like a false hope, that a corrected version WILL come out.
Old 03-18-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IF they ever bother with a new transfer will they help the poor schlubs like me who bought the first piece of crap?
Old 03-19-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
IF they ever bother with a new transfer will they help the poor schlubs like me who bought the first piece of crap?
The edition in question IS a new transfer, done after the wave of complaints about the last one. It will arrive eventually. No clue whether or not there will be a replacement program.
Old 03-20-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The edition in question IS a new transfer, done after the wave of complaints about the last one. It will arrive eventually. No clue whether or not there will be a replacement program.
Since it was only $8 net after rebate I wasn't that worried about it. It would be nice to stand behind the product and want the best one out there if they are going to market them as "Saphire Series"
Old 03-21-10, 11:38 PM

I'd assume the French bluray that DVDBeaver has a link to is not a 'remastered' version - right? (and I'd also assume the disc would be region locked to 'B' anyway)
Old 07-23-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Gladiator Remastered Blu-ray and Exchange Program

After months of rumors, announcements and cancellations, a new Blu-ray edition of Ridley Scott's Gladiator has at last been actually released in the Netherlands. Eager enthusiasts have compared the picture quality of this new release with that released last year and confirmed that the image is now noticeably superior. The Digital Bits has received confirmation that this remastered disc will also be available in the US, and that Paramount Home Entertainment will implement a "limited exchange program."

The studio admits that the first edition had edge enhancement and digital video noise reduction, but it does not acknowledge that the product was defective.

Rather, it posits that some consumers "may have preferential issues with some of the technical DVNR (digital video noise reduction) and EE (edge enhancement) choices made in the original source transfer, and so would prefer to exchange it for one that addresses those preferences in a different manner. While the version that we originally distributed was of the highest quality, some enthusiasts may prefer to view it without the Edge Enhancement and DVNR implemented as standard process in bringing the film to hi-def. This new master resolves those issues."

Those interested in receiving a replacement disc should contact Paramount Home Entertainment's service hotline number 323-956-3010 for instructions.

For those in North America who don't yet own the disc, a running production change has been initiated, so future copies shipped to retailers will include the new transfer. In other countries around the world, the new disc is being gradually rolled out in each region by Universal: contact your local distributor for details.
Old 07-23-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good lord, I called the number and got this...

"The mailbox for...CONSUMER ISSUES...is full. Please call again later."
Old 07-23-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

You're supposed to email this address ([email protected]) with gladiator in the subject title, and then in the body of the message leave your full name, address, and phone number.
Old 07-23-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
You're supposed to email this address ([email protected]) with gladiator in the subject title, and then in the body of the message leave your full name, address, and phone number.
E-mail sent. Thanks.
Old 07-28-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anniversary Edition and re-release comparison pics: http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/69939/

Wow! So when will the corrected discs hit shelves and how can I easily identify them?
Old 07-28-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Anniversary Edition and re-release comparison pics: http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/69939/
Jeez, I knew the original disc looked bad, but wow. That's like night & day.
Old 07-28-10, 03:42 PM

Wow! So when will the corrected discs hit shelves and how can I easily identify them?
that's the 10 million dollar question, come on Paramount just release this new version to the masses!! pronto!
Old 07-28-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found out how to ID them thanks to a poster at Blu-Ray.com:

Originally Posted by HD Goofnut
No word on a date yet. Supposedly, the new version will have yellow UPC stickers like Saving Private Ryan.
Now we just need to wait for a release date.
Old 07-28-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Thank you. Will send as soon as I get back to my home computer...
Old 07-28-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After showing those comparison pics to my mom, I can understand the J6P jokes people in forums actually make. She insists the old blurry transfer looks better than the new detailed transfer. Even picture #6 didn't sway her. After seeing that particular shot, she einsisted that the new transfer was the blurry one.
Old 07-28-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After showing those comparison pics to my mom, I can understand the J6P jokes people in forums actually make. She insists the old blurry transfer looks better than the new detailed transfer. Even picture #6 didn't sway her. After seeing that particular shot, she einsisted that the new transfer was the blurry one.
She's probably just confused about which one is old and new...
Old 07-28-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
She's probably just confused about which one is old and new...
Sadly, I know that's not the case since I pointed it out to her. She even specifically pointed out to the first washed out shot as being her prefered picture. That's when I went straight to shot #6. She kept insisting that the blurry/washed out shot was more detailed and better looking than the newer shot. When I pointed out to the detail on the clothing to the subject on the right, she claimed there was no additional detail.

And screen size isn't a factor as I showed it to her on a 52" screen and my seating is about 6.5' from the screen (which she constantly insists is too close and should be not less than 10' away. ).
Old 07-28-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I never thought the Gladiator transfer was that bad but after seeing those screen comparisons. Damn, it's like DVD to Blu-ray difference.
Old 07-29-10, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Since it was only $8 net after rebate I wasn't that worried about it. It would be nice to stand behind the product and want the best one out there if they are going to market them as "Saphire Series"
If Paramount would rename the series to The SapSucker Series, I'd be buying them without any hesitation.

Until such a time as Parmount changes the name of their elite series, I want some hi-quality prints and expect more from them.

The studio seems to be comprised of a bunch of geezers who have the depth and detail perception of my one-eyed grandfather.

Come to think of it...I'm gonna ask Paramount if he can apply for a job there. Can't be any worse than the shit they put out with Gladiator. At least my granfather admits he has a problem. Paramount won't even admit there is.

Makes me wonder if Mel Gibson has complete control over the Sapphire Series in all his drunken glory.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-29-10 at 03:20 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.