Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Help reading blu labels

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Help reading blu labels

Old 01-14-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Help reading blu labels

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Just curious, how come your posts are always formatted like this? I can always tell it's you posting by the overuse of the enter key and almost zero use of the shift key.

But why does it look like the enter key's used so much? Is it because of the device you're using?
He's posting from his wrist watch.
Old 01-14-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by vjack99
Wow! So much for asking for help and expecting to receive anything but insults. I'm new to blu-ray, but I'm no troll.

I understand that these bars are common and that they have to do with how the movie was filmed. All I was saying is that I'd like to learn how to avoid them in the discs I buy.

Thanks to fitprod for providing the information I was seeking. This will help.
The movies are fine, there's no way. It's up to the display you're watching to give you the full image.

In any case did you see my post? Those 21x9 tvs will give you exactly what you are asking for. NO black bars in your movies.

That is the only remedy to your problem, unless you buy a plasma with rich black levels to hide well the black bars at night and matching the tv bezel.
Old 01-14-10, 11:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

^^^^

Last edited by Trevor; 01-14-10 at 11:32 AM. Reason: fast posters here today
Old 01-14-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
The movies are fine, there's no way. It's up to the display you're watching to give you the full image.

In any case did you see my post? Those 21x9 tvs will give you exactly what you are asking for. NO black bars in your movies.

That is the only remedy to your problem, unless you buy a plasma with rich black levels to hide well the black bars at night and matching the tv bezel.
Wouldn't the bars just be moved to the sides of the image for ~1:85 material?

And geez can you imagine the bloodletting from displaying a 4:3 image on a 21:9 display? I shudder to think what 4:3 would look like stretched that much.
Old 01-14-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-14-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Wouldn't the bars just be moved to the sides of the image for ~1:85 material?

And geez can you imagine the bloodletting from displaying a 4:3 image on a 21:9 display? I shudder to think what 4:3 would look like stretched that much.
Very good questions. I too imagine those aspect ratios would look not so good on these 21x9 sets. Especially 4x3 which probably is a nightmare to watch. I think these sets probably only cater to 2:35.1. I assume the rest will probably look very small, with lots of blank area lol

I guess time will tell.
Old 01-15-10, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Very good questions. I too imagine those aspect ratios would look not so good on these 21x9 sets. Especially 4x3 which probably is a nightmare to watch. I think these sets probably only cater to 2:35.1. I assume the rest will probably look very small, with lots of blank area lol
It would be exactly the same as it is in a movie theater. 2.35 fills the whole screen. 1.85 leaves empty space at the sides (which can be covered by a curtain). 1.33 leaves more empty space at the sides (or is cropped at the top and bottom in many theaters where an auxiliary video projector is used for pre-film material

It's incredible to me that people can sit in movie theaters and be looking right at the screen when the curtains open up from 1.85 to 2.35 and not understand why they do that.
Old 01-15-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Unless you only buy 1:78 or 1:85 or use some controls on the dvd player or the tv to stretch the image.

Here is a thought, there are no black bars. You are referring to the area of the screen where there is no image. What you are seeing with a 2:35 aspect ratio is all the image there is.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: 1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.35:1. Not 1:78, 1:85 or 2:35.
Originally Posted by rdclark
I must interject that this is not normally true: in most properly configured theaters, the mattes open up for 2.35, and 'scope films actually are shown on a larger screen than 1.85 films.
Being "properly configured" has little to do with it. It's simply the architecture of the theater. In my experience, in most multiplexes it's half and half. The larger auditoriums are "common height," which means the mattes on the sides are adjustable. In smaller auditoriums, the screens are usually "common width," with the matte coming down from above.