Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Final Destination" Not in 3D

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey!

Does anyone know about a separate blu-ray release of Final Destination 4 that isn't in 3D?

I picked it up at target today but when I got home I realized the feature isn't in 3D and there was no SD DVD.

Does anyone know anything abotu this?
Old 01-09-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: "The Final Destination" Not in 3D

That's odd. I don't recall a separate single disc Blu-ray release with only the 2D version on it...
Old 01-09-10, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The BD has both. You have to select it before you go to the menu. You might try reloading the disc.
Old 01-09-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh wow your target must have sold out of the the first pressings of Final Destination, that come with the 3D version and the SDDVD.

I would take your copy to another Target that has the 3D version instock, and exchange it.
the copies with 3D and the sd digital copies are supposedly limited. I had the same thing happen when i bought the Harry potter half blood prince bluray that was suppose to be the dvd combo.
when i got it home and opened it, it was only bluray (there was also no lenticular slipcover)
you need to exchange your final destination for one that has the lenticular slip cover and has the sticker that says dvd bluray digital copy combo.
Old 01-09-10, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hope this helps some for what you need to look for
Notice the lenticular cover clearly says 3-D and in small print includes 2-d vesion

Now notice that the cover art underneath makes no mention of 3D

Notice that on the back of the slipcover it shows directons for digital copy and and also makes mention of BOTH 2-D and 3-D VERSIONS of the film Included. It also mentions at the top AN EXCLUSIVE LOOK AT THE ALL NEW NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.

Now notice on the actual cover that there is no mention of the digital copy or including both 2d and 3d and no mention of the nightmare on elm street first look.

by just having the 2-D and 3-D and Digital copy versions and nightmare on elm street listed on the slipcover and not the actual cover art. they dont have to a 2 produce new covers now that stores are selling out of there stock of the 3D version since WB said it would only be availble for a limited time. IN this case less than a week in some stores.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 01-09-10 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh and as i learned when i experienced this with harry potter 6 not having the standard dvd the upc isbn numbers are the same no matter which version you pick up. the only way to tell the difference is to make sure you pay close attention to the wording on the packageing
Old 01-09-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I found a used copy tonight at a store here, and was stumped why it was only a single blu-ray with no 3d version mention on the case. Sure enough he looked it up on Amazon and the isbn is identical to the blu-ray/digital 3d copy. I hadn't seen a single disc release in stores so I don't know where it came from.
Old 01-09-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

If it's any consolation, the 3D effects on Blu-ray are pretty terrible. There's a decent sense of depth when people are just standing around, but nothing ever looks like it's coming straight at you, and isn't that the whole reason the flick was shot in 3D in the first place?
Old 01-09-10, 10:44 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Slip cover = 3D and DVD/DC
No Slip Cover = no 3D or DVD/DC

That's how Warner will have handling all of these titles for a while (at least in regards to the DVD/DC).
Old 01-10-10, 12:20 AM

I was wondering y nothing was coming out at me.... My Bloody Valentine 3D you actually felt things coming at you. I wasn't to thrilled with the 3D in The Final Destination
Old 01-10-10, 12:27 AM

As Gizmo said, Warner has 2 versions out.

From what I found out from WB (with the T4 issue):

The initial pressings include any extras (in this case, the Digital Copy/SD-DVD disc and the 3D feature) - With T4: Salvation it was the Digital Copy.

Problem is, the first pressing might be for 50,000 copies and then they run another 250,000 copies for the 2nd pressing (before release date). Lets say Amazon orders 30,000 copies and best buy orders 40,000 copies, target orders 20,000 copies, there arent enough "first run" pressings and some of the 2nd run pressings get thrown out at the same time. It's not even an issue to make you run out and grab new releases early (rather than waiting for sales) - with T4 I preordered from Amazon in October but received the 2nd pressing version.

Another problem with this, is that some retailers (target) will remove the slipcovers to make room for their anti-theft plastic packaging, so you cant always even go based off of whether or not it has a slipcover.
Old 01-10-10, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

So does the non-3-D version also lack the Nightmare on Elm Street preview?
Old 01-10-10, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah its very hard to tell at stores that take off the slipcovers
Originally Posted by SPIDERone
As Gizmo said, Warner has 2 versions out.

From what I found out from WB (with the T4 issue):

The initial pressings include any extras (in this case, the Digital Copy/SD-DVD disc and the 3D feature) - With T4: Salvation it was the Digital Copy.

Problem is, the first pressing might be for 50,000 copies and then they run another 250,000 copies for the 2nd pressing (before release date). Lets say Amazon orders 30,000 copies and best buy orders 40,000 copies, target orders 20,000 copies, there arent enough "first run" pressings and some of the 2nd run pressings get thrown out at the same time. It's not even an issue to make you run out and grab new releases early (rather than waiting for sales) - with T4 I preordered from Amazon in October but received the 2nd pressing version.

Another problem with this, is that some retailers (target) will remove the slipcovers to make room for their anti-theft plastic packaging, so you cant always even go based off of whether or not it has a slipcover.
Old 01-10-10, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe so cause its not on the cover art on the back
Originally Posted by davidh777
So does the non-3-D version also lack the Nightmare on Elm Street preview?
Old 01-10-10, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is an asinine policy
Old 01-10-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

This is really stupid for a release to have such a short span that one could buy it before it changes. I guess you better make damn sure that your disc plays without a problem and your digital copy works or you might be ass out of luck on an exchange. Shocked the shit out of me to find out that there were already two versions out there. Now, I could see it if he happened to be sold what was meant to be a rental copy.
Old 01-10-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have a feeling this will keep the resale price of used versions with the 3D cut at a premium
Old 01-10-10, 01:20 AM

Yeah, I really found it weird that they took the 3D version out. I can even understand taking out the "DVD Version" or "Digital copy" from these sets, but the 3D version is on the same disc!

Same goes for Journey to the center of the earth - it was re-released without the 3D version, even though its on the same disc!
Old 01-10-10, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I really found it weird that they took the 3D version out. I can even understand taking out the "DVD Version" or "Digital copy" from these sets, but the 3D version is on the same disc!

Same goes for Journey to the center of the earth - it was re-released without the 3D version, even though its on the same disc!
So they're going out of their way to be asinine
Old 01-10-10, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Slip cover = 3D and DVD/DC
No Slip Cover = no 3D or DVD/DC

That's how Warner will have handling all of these titles for a while (at least in regards to the DVD/DC).
And for us slipcover collectors its very hard to track them down. So we have to buy these new release on the same week it comes out or will miss out on the slipcover.
Old 01-10-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by a/v Junkie
And for us slipcover collectors its very hard to track them down. So we have to buy these new release on the same week it comes out or will miss out on the slipcover.
This seems to be their goal, to drive sales in that first week to anyone who's at alll interested in the title for fear they'll miss out. Sort of like opening weekend at the box office. And that will also be during the Netflix blackout.
Old 01-10-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

how is and how long is the preview of ANOES? Any comments appreciated.
Old 01-10-10, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
This is really stupid for a release to have such a short span that one could buy it before it changes. I guess you better make damn sure that your disc plays without a problem and your digital copy works or you might be ass out of luck on an exchange. Shocked the shit out of me to find out that there were already two versions out there. Now, I could see it if he happened to be sold what was meant to be a rental copy.
Another incentive to buy on release week (hell, day) if you want it to be complete.
Old 01-10-10, 11:40 AM
Suspended

My 3D version is a 50GB Disc, anyone who get the non-3D one tell how big the disc is? (Reason I ask is because the film itself is only 12GB...so they could have make the 2D-only version a 25GB Disc since it does not need the space for a extra version of the film).

Here's the breakdown:
Disc Size: 31.8 GB
Film Size: 16.3 GB (3D) / 11.4 GB (2D)

Last edited by Gizmo; 01-10-10 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
how is and how long is the preview of ANOES? Any comments appreciated.
Two minutes. It's a short promotional featurette with a few clips from the movie. Think the sorts of plugs that play before the trailers start when you see a movie theatrically.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.