Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What to do after you upgrade?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 03:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

What do you all do with your old DVDs if you upgrade to blu-ray? Or what makes you decide whether you'll upgrade or not? I'm in a dilemma here because I just recently got into blu-ray and I have so many movies and tvshows on dvd, that I don't know whats worth it to upgrade and what I shouldn't bother with? Just curious, do you buy blu-ray exclusively from now on if the item you want is on blu-ray? ugh.
Old 01-07-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What to do after you upgrade?

Wrong forum.
Old 01-07-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I keep the old DVDs if they don't carry all the same special features. Not so bad lately but previously it was a bigger problem.
Old 01-07-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What to do? Uhhh... Watch movies / TV shows?

Seriously. It seems most everyone has different thresholds on what to keep and what to replace. I'd just continue to enjoy things. Only you can tell which movies / shows to upgrade and which aren't worth it. That may be a huge amount to replace or a tiny amount depending on you.

I do only buy Blu-ray if it's an option. But I made my first exception recently after being in the HD game for a couple years now. I wanted 24: S7 and The Office: S5 on Blu-ray. But just after Christmas I found them at Target for $14.99 and $17.00. For the first time ever, the deal was just too good to pass up and I grabbed the DVDs.
Old 01-07-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm upgrading all of my DVD movies as they're released on BD. Not sure if I'll do that with my TV show DVDs because in some cases I have like 10 seasons of one show. That would be really expensive. Plus, some of the older shows would probably still look crappy even in HD. I sell my old DVDs to Hastings. Every now and then there's one they won't buy, so I just give it away to friends who have no interest in going Blu.
Old 01-07-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sell the ones on ebay that will make $2.00 or more. The others I sell to a pawn shop.
Old 01-08-10, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jwb0323
What do you all do with your old DVDs if you upgrade to blu-ray? Or what makes you decide whether you'll upgrade or not? I'm in a dilemma here because I just recently got into blu-ray and I have so many movies and tvshows on dvd, that I don't know whats worth it to upgrade and what I shouldn't bother with? Just curious, do you buy blu-ray exclusively from now on if the item you want is on blu-ray? ugh.
I try to exclusively buy blu-ray, if the title is available on BD. The only exception I made was The Office S5 since I had no interest in forking over $40+ for that on BD. $16 was a no brainer. As for the old titles, if it was opened (unfortunately I have a ton of sealed titles) I hang onto it and wait for a good trade-in deal somewhere (Suncoast and Secondspin.com frequently have promotions for trade-in bonuses). If it is still sealed, I usually give it away as a gift. But I did recently take advantage of Christmas, and took a few titles back to Best Buy as gifts. They had Best Buy stickers on them, so I figured I why not.

My biggest dilemma is deciding what to upgrade, and what not. If the BD is an absolute bargain, it is hard to pass on it. But I read the reviews, and if the transfer is poor plus the disc is barebones, I will pass on it. If the transfer is great but it doesn't have the special features that the SD did, it is hard to decide what to do. If the BD has all of pertinent special features that the SD did, or more, I will practically always upgrade, unless the transfer is really poor. My collection is very large, so I'd go broke trying to upgrade every single title I own. I have to pick and choose.

I also have practically every single title ever put out on HD-DVD in the US, plus some imports, and those I have decided I will not upgrade to BD, except for approx. 15 titles that I upgraded through the red2blu program.

DVD collecting is a hobby for many of us. A very expensive hobby. But most of us can't afford everything! Choose wisely, and try to enjoy the titles you purchase, regardless of whether it is SD or BD.
Old 01-08-10, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i haven't done anything with mine yet...they're just in a big stack away from my shelves. i'll sell them in the exchange forum eventually. hopefully get $3-4 a piece if i'm lucky.
Old 01-08-10, 06:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

I will always keep my DVDs. They are playable in every room of my house, my friend's and family's homes, in the car, at work, on the plane, everywhere. My blu-rays are only playable in one room.
Old 01-08-10, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always keep the old versions. Not worth my time to go through the hassle of selling them.
Old 01-08-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I will always keep my DVDs. They are playable in every room of my house, my friend's and family's homes, in the car, at work, on the plane, everywhere. My blu-rays are only playable in one room.
Agree with everything but the last line. I can play blu-rays in TWO rooms.
Old 01-08-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sell them to Second Spin or give them away.
Old 01-08-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Add me to the list of those that just keep their DVDs after their upgrades. Hell, I've even triple-dipped -- DVD->HD DVD->BD (but only on The Matrix trilogy and Serenity, and only because the HD DVD versions were essentially free) -- and kept all the versions. Trying to sell them is just too much hassle for the little $$ I would get back.

My criteria for upgrading is pretty simple: The BD has to be cheap (around $10 is my price point) , I have to love the film (you know you love a film when you don't even question the purchase, period), and the PQ/AQ has to be a definite improvement.

Of course, there are some exceptions to my upgrade logic above. I did buy the Robocop BD not too long after buying the anniversary steelbook DVD release, but that was only because the BD met the first 2 criteria. Recently, I've upgraded Fight Club and Predator 2. Did I mention I only upgrade Fox releases? Lol, it seems that way!
Old 01-08-10, 10:31 AM

My rules: Double dip when necessary (and only if its EXTREMELY cheap). Buy all new stuff on Blu, and if you already have the TV shows on regular DVD, don't bother buying the new stuff on Blu (The Office, How I Met Your Mother).
Old 01-08-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will upgrade any DVD if I can get the BD for $10 or less; I figure that if I didn't want to upgrade it, I don't care enough about the DVD to keep it anyway. (I routinely "watch and sell" DVDs and BDs when I don't think I'll want to see the movie again, although Netflix has greatly reduced that strategy.)

The DVDs that are upgraded I try to sell, and if I can't get enough for them to be worthwhile, I donate them to my local library. I don't want DVDs cluttering up my limited shelf space if I have the BD (or HD DVD).
Old 01-08-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like keeping my DVDs for playing in other rooms of the house which don't have Blu. Initially for space and cost concerns, I'm only upgrading my absolute favorite films to Blu. For some Blu-rays with digital copy discs included, I've taken those out of the case and put the DVD version in place of.

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 01-08-10 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-08-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trevor, it kind of scares me to read your posts because you and I think so much alike I have to wonder if you are my doppelganger. The thought that there are two of me on this particular planet is a bit unsettling, but then again, perhaps it's two of YOU and that might not be as bad.
Old 01-08-10, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Trevor, it kind of scares me to read your posts because you and I think so much alike I have to wonder if you are my doppelganger. The thought that there are two of me on this particular planet is a bit unsettling, but then again, perhaps it's two of YOU and that might not be as bad.
Good to know where to go if I ever need a kidney!
Old 01-08-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What he said!!
Old 01-08-10, 12:10 PM
Suspended

I am starting to go through a scenerio of my own. My 1000+ discs are starting to get in the way if you will. I am building a home theater starting in a month or two and the amount of shelf space that is needed to store all of these discs is becoming an issue. I haven't bought a regular DVD (or even watched most of them) other than TV shows in at least a year or more.

I have been contemplating what to do with these discs.
Old 01-08-10, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
I am starting to go through a scenerio of my own. My 1000+ discs are starting to get in the way if you will. I am building a home theater starting in a month or two and the amount of shelf space that is needed to store all of these discs is becoming an issue. I haven't bought a regular DVD (or even watched most of them) other than TV shows in at least a year or more.

I have been contemplating what to do with these discs.
We each have our own completely valid reasons for keeping or ditching things of course. There are several factors that contribute to our individual decisions, so while talking it out is probably never going to change anyone else's plan, it is fun to talk about it.

Personally, storage is becoming an issue for me as well. But I like having thousands of options, so I get rid of very little. So right now maximizing storage space is the priority. I'm moving all my DVDs into 7mm and 5mm slimcases, so that should make things manageable for at least a couple more years. After that I may have to go to binders.

For BD upgrades, I may even start putting the SD disc in a sleeve and in the BD case.
Old 01-08-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I used to give them to my mom, but now that she has a blu-ray player, she wants those discs instead. I have a bunch that I'll probably end up selling. Otherwise, I'll just keep them.
Old 01-08-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

With all the super cheap blu-rays over the holidays, I upgraded quite a few movies. I wasn't sure what to do with them at first, but then I just put them all in a stack and whenever friends or family come by, I tell them to look over it and grab any they're interested in and want. Most, if not all, of the movies wouldn't go for more than a buck or two anyway and they end up with someone that I know will enjoy them.
Old 01-08-10, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by StephenX
My rules: Double dip when necessary (and only if its EXTREMELY cheap). Buy all new stuff on Blu, and if you already have the TV shows on regular DVD, don't bother buying the new stuff on Blu (The Office, How I Met Your Mother).
I normally would agree with your last sentence, but I couldn't pass up the Amazon deal on S1-5 of Lost on BD. With the S1 & S2 upgrade rebates, then trading them in, plus selling my S3 and S4 which I already had on BD, more than paid for the entire 5 seasons on BD...